Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

We decided on no more birthday parties then he goes behind my back!

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:41 PM
  • 35 Replies

Last year was a fun one in our house.  January 5th, DS's 4th Birthday SIL has a HUGE fit and is crying hysterically because she doesn't know how they're going to pay for her wedding (which wasn't happening until September), fast forward to March 31st DD's 8th Birthday- MIL flips out on my husband because he had asked if they would cosign a car loan (not that day but earlier in the week) and she flips out because he told her that we didn't want a minivan she found us so if it's going to be a problem just forget about it.  Fast forward to June 28th- DD's First Birthday.  My family drives in from out of town (3 hours).  IL's KNEW her party was that day but made plans anyways.  They came to DD's party then were pissy that I should have had a birthday lunch instead of dinner because they had plans.  After 3 times of the snarky, nasty comments and fights and DRAMA, I told my husband NO more parties, period.  We will spend what we would have on a party to go to dinner (the birthday child gets to choose where they would like to go), and spend the rest on gifts, he agrees.  So we take DS to his birthday dinner, spent money on gifts and now DH's family is freaking out and wanted to go to dinner (a week after his birthday)- we don't have the money and told them that.  So DH plans a birthday party for DS with FIL tonight at 8pm, and he tells me this at noon- while he's at work. I'm pissed.  The year before last they made nasty comments about how we couldn't afford to throw our son a party because we were poor and they "had" to give him a birthday celebration.  I don't even know what to say to my DH.  He went behind my back and knew better than to tell me in person- to give me time to calm down.  But I am still so pissed.

Update: He wont cancel.  He is pissed at me because since
"we're not paying for it they can do whatever they want.", now he's pissed at me. 

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Too long. Needs to be broken into paragraphs.

Too hard to read

Sorry
cmabbott
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:43 PM
2 moms liked this

Venting.  Don't give a shit.

Quoting Anonymous:

Too hard to read

Sorry

missamanda86
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:45 PM

The birthday dinner is what we always did to prevent drama. Id be upset if Dh went behind my back and did something like that. Stick to your guns and tell him no! If your ILs dont like it, too bad, its not their kid. Maybe that sounds harsh, but my IL's in my first marriage tried to over run me and parent my kids, so I started standing up for myself and they didnt like it at all, but eventually they stopped

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Wait....why are you so pissed?
wonderwomen1
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:47 PM
1 mom liked this
It is not that hard too read if you try...

Quoting Anonymous:

Too hard to read

Sorry

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wonderwomen1
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:47 PM
2 moms liked this
I would cancel the party and let the il's know its not their child so back off
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notjstasocermom
by Emerald Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Why not just invite your kids friends?

MizzDeeDee
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:49 PM

I would be pretty pissed off too. They bring the drama.. to a KID'S BIRTHDAY PARTY and then he plans one with them?

I would be really angry.

luckysevenwow
by Ruby Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:49 PM
So your child doesn't get a birthday party because the people in his life can't figure out how to get along? Sounds sad to me, not that there is anything wrong with dinner and gifts but its a sad reason to do it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:50 PM
I'd be upset too. i have no advice though! we do the bday dinner thing too, but we really dont have any close fam or friends other than my parents.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)