Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

electronics make my kids dumb....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

We NEVER let the kids get in on our tablets, or more than one episode on TV per week, or the computer (even though my son's first grade teacher at school encourages my son to do about 45 minutes on two different programs once a week. I just won't. He's six.).

They sneak our tablets and cell phones ALL THE FREAKING TIME. Pisses me off. I catch them watching netflix on the tablet like, every day. Or playing a game on my/DH's phone. They don't have any age-appropriate electronics- like a Nintendo DS, or a V-tech or a Leap Frog. No. There is no "age appropriate" screen I am comfortable with. They can learn letters from a workbook, and anything else from me, or school.

My kids are 6, 5 and 3. I see mom's all the time talking about how they use video games and computer time as discipline- or encouragement to be better behaved, or allow them to play for a period of time after the important things are done. 

I let my boys play mario kart on the Wii the other day. I had TONS of school stuff and cleaning and organizing to do, and I thought- okay a few hours, so I can focus without them fighting. 

When it was time to stop for meals, for potty breaks, for ANYTHING... they screamed, threw tantrums, acted like fools and threw me a nasty attitude. Um, no.  Where are my kids?! What happened to order and sanity?!

Then, I told  them to bundle up and head outside. They literally SAT THERE for 30 minutes. They had no idea what to do. The day before, they spent the whole day imagining things, playing super heroes, jumping off ledges and chasing each other with the dogs. Today... nothing. They had like ZERO capacity for imaginative play.

And yes, I blame electronics. When more creative minds create a system that does the imagining FOR them, they'd rather sit in that little world, content to let someone else do the work, and be entertained.

Sorry... not my kids. I'm so mad at myself for letting them play as long as I did. And now the Tablets are going up high every time DH and I are not using them, my cell is staying ON MY PERSONS and the computer screen will be LOCKED when not in use. TV requires permission from BOTH parents, no movies, no TV... no way.

I refuse to have zombies with bad attitudes for children.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:50 PM

at what point did I say they were horrible?! I said they weren't suitable for my kids. My kids are too young to be using them. They have benefits- benefits for OLDER kids and for adults. Not for first graders.

Quoting StevieMarie:

Oh, please! If you wanted to raise your kids without electronics and you thought they were so horrible, you wouldnt have them on hand. Lets be real here. You want control. You want to be dictator mom.

Quoting Anonymous:

Did I say I was perfect? No... but I don't use electronics for them. They can play outside, play with the toys in the basement, read a book, write, color, play with play dough, create something with glue and scissors or do any number of helpful chores and things around the house. I'd much rather be chasing them around the house because they are getting into things, then let them zone out with an electronic item on my couch. The price of trying to keep track of them all day is worth it. I don't always suceed, but I'm not about to give up and squat them in front of a computer/TV all day.

Oddly enough, LOTS of parents for the last 100 years have been raising their kids without electronics. It's not a difficult concept. And I don't see it as a sign of perfection or fantastic parenting. I see it as common sense.

Ya.. they sneak it. At night when everyone is sleeping- or they'll get up earlier than us and grab it then. They never watch an entire movie or TV show before they get caught. I'd say... maybe 5 minutes in or less.

Netflix is really easy. You find the bright red app, touch it, and it opens up. They find what looks colorful and fun, and touch the screen again. SUPER complicated stuff here.

Quoting Anonymous:

You're so perfect yet your kids are alone long enough to sneak a tablet and watch a movie. Riiiight lady. They also know how to work them and get on Netflix....yet you never let them use them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:54 PM
OK. My 22 month old has a tablet and iPod touch, no complaints here.
Jers.
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:55 PM
1 mom liked this

It's not the electronics - my kids are proof of that.

LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:56 PM

lol. My DD plays on her 3 DS but she also loves to dress up and play on her swing set. 

LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Why are they where your kids can get to them in the first place?

Quoting Anonymous:

at what point did I say they were horrible?! I said they weren't suitable for my kids. My kids are too young to be using them. They have benefits- benefits for OLDER kids and for adults. Not for first graders.

Quoting StevieMarie:

Oh, please! If you wanted to raise your kids without electronics and you thought they were so horrible, you wouldnt have them on hand. Lets be real here. You want control. You want to be dictator mom.

Quoting Anonymous:

Did I say I was perfect? No... but I don't use electronics for them. They can play outside, play with the toys in the basement, read a book, write, color, play with play dough, create something with glue and scissors or do any number of helpful chores and things around the house. I'd much rather be chasing them around the house because they are getting into things, then let them zone out with an electronic item on my couch. The price of trying to keep track of them all day is worth it. I don't always suceed, but I'm not about to give up and squat them in front of a computer/TV all day.

Oddly enough, LOTS of parents for the last 100 years have been raising their kids without electronics. It's not a difficult concept. And I don't see it as a sign of perfection or fantastic parenting. I see it as common sense.

Ya.. they sneak it. At night when everyone is sleeping- or they'll get up earlier than us and grab it then. They never watch an entire movie or TV show before they get caught. I'd say... maybe 5 minutes in or less.

Netflix is really easy. You find the bright red app, touch it, and it opens up. They find what looks colorful and fun, and touch the screen again. SUPER complicated stuff here.

Quoting Anonymous:

You're so perfect yet your kids are alone long enough to sneak a tablet and watch a movie. Riiiight lady. They also know how to work them and get on Netflix....yet you never let them use them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 11, 2013 at 4:08 PM

usually careless things- DH will use his to read his text book and leave it on the table when he's done for the night, or I usually watch netflix on mine in bed, and set it on my nightstand... or when they are plugged in to charge it's hard to put them out of reach.(tablets and cell phones here)

Sometimes I'll leave the computer to do something else and forget to log out and lock the screen.

They don't know how to navigate the TV and PS3 or Wii so they don't typically get into that.

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting StevieMarie:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Jan. 11, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Well start putting your crap up. Dont leave it there where they can play with it, then get pissed when they do. They are CHILDREN.

Quoting Anonymous:

usually careless things- DH will use his to read his text book and leave it on the table when he's done for the night, or I usually watch netflix on mine in bed, and set it on my nightstand... or when they are plugged in to charge it's hard to put them out of reach.(tablets and cell phones here)

Sometimes I'll leave the computer to do something else and forget to log out and lock the screen.

They don't know how to navigate the TV and PS3 or Wii so they don't typically get into that.

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting StevieMarie:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 11, 2013 at 4:18 PM

???? what?! Are you just searching for ANY reason to be snotty?

Obviously! I said they sneak it...and it makes me mad. So we have been actively working to prevent that- which I outlined at the end.

Oddly enough, I can't stop it every time. Yesterday my six year old hopped up onto the counter, got on top of the fridge and got my nail polish, which he put on his sister (I wasn't home at the time). Even up high, they got it. We have to be creative in our efforts to prevent that kind of thing. And sometimes, even then, it slips through the cracks and they get ahold of things.

I would much rather tell them hands off, and get them to learn not to touch things that don't belong to them, so DH and I can still have the convenience of reaching for our things without having to jump through hoops. But that's not the case. There's a learning curve here. We've only owned the tablets since November... and I've had my new cell for about 3 weeks. It's new and exciting, so they are extra sneaky and creative.

I'm not an idiot here... clearly we need to take extra steps cuz it's getting on my nerves. But there's no need to lecture me like a child and get an attitude.

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

Well start putting your crap up. Dont leave it there where they can play with it, then get pissed when they do. They are CHILDREN.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting StevieMarie:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

StevieMarie
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Well, thats all well and good but isnt your music player electronic? How come that one doesnt make them dumb?

Quoting Anonymous:

yes. My daughter loves to help me fold clothes, unload the dishwasher and all three of them love to cook with me. DD also loves to sweep, and my boys like to use the vacuum on their own. Their "chores" are all geared around things they enjoy doing. Aside from the obligatory clean up of toys and making their beds, chores around here are fun. We blast music and work together.

Quoting StevieMarie:

Did you just list chores under your list of how they play?

Quoting Anonymous:

I'd be interested in seeing this "proof".

Cuz oddly enough, parents have been raising their kids without electronics for hundreds of years... it's not like it's some kind of weird, crazy idea.

Like i don't let them play at all? Is that what you're saying when you said "You don't let them play that often"? They play. They play with each other, toys, books, coloring, workbooks, chores etc.

The last time they watched a movie was.... my son watched "Avatar" two days ago because he got up REALLY early for some reason and since he wouldn't go back to sleep, we opted for quiet time. My daughter and preschooler watched "Cinderella" the day after Christmas... and as a family we watched "Dispicable me the weekend AFTER Christmas.

TV is either a family event, a constructive event, or a rare reward.

We opt for everything EXCEPT TV as long as possible.

Quoting jillbailey26:

It's been proven that moderate screen time with video games or handheld games can be beneficial.  

They threw tantrums and sneak it because you don't have boundaries set up for when they play.  It also seems like you don't let them play that often.

Mine play on the computer for one hour on Friday and another on Saturday.  They earn video game time through the week and they play for up to an hour (depending on grades and behavior) on Friday.  The boys have kindles.  They can play with apps (games) for an hour and reading is unlimited.  They can watch TV whenever they want, however long they want.  

They're not zombies, they CHOOSE to go outside and play.  They'll even stop in the middle of their video game time to go out and play.  And they rarely have bad attitudes.

To me, you're holding them back.  Especially in an age where everything is going digital.  They're your kids though.  It is funny that you blame the electronics though.  They're objects.  I can assure you that the blame is being focused on the wrong thing.

StevieMarie
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 4:20 PM

THANK YOU! I dont see why you would have them in a place obviously accessible if they werent suitable for your kids. And theres plenty of benefits for a first grader. If y 3 year old can benefit, im sure a 6 year old could. Pick your battles, this is one you will regret later on.

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting StevieMarie:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN