Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

She lost four children in one night.

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:24 PM
  • 76 Replies

http://www.11alive.com/news/article/271632/40/4-children-die-in-Conyers-fire

CONYERS, Ga. -- Authorities say there were no working smoke detectors in the Conyers home where four children, all under 10 years old, died in a fire late Tuesday night.

Eight-month-old Deon Glass, Jr., 3-year-old Armoni Roberts, 7-year-old Dar'Shawn Glass and 9-year-old Ah'Dariya Glass died on the second floor of their duplex on Pinedale Circle. Dar'Shawn would have turned 8 next Saturday.

Rockdale County Fire spokesman Michael Morris said there was no smoke detector in the upstairs of the house. The only smoke detector was downstairs, but it did not have a battery.

The children's brother Darnell Glass, Jr., who turned 6 on Wednesday, survived with minor injuries after their mother Reeba Glass threw him out a second-story window before jumping herself. She received severe burns and is being treated at Grady Hospital's burn unit in Atlanta. Darnell was transported to Children's Healthcare of Atlanta at Egleston.

The children's maternal grandmother, Rosetta Mitchell, escaped injury but was extremely distraught. She was helping comfort her daughter and making funeral arrangements.

RELATED | 911 calls released from deadly fire

Conyers Police Chief Gene Wilson said four of his officers arrived at the family's home within seconds of the fire being reported at 11:05 p.m. Tuesday and tried to put out the blaze with hand-held extinguishers, but the fire was too strong.

Wilson said the bulk of the fire was on the second floor of the home and while it failed to burn through the roof, windows were blown out by the fierce blaze. The upstairs portion of the house was destroyed. The four children who died were found in two upstairs bedrooms.

Wilson said there had been a fire in the first floor fireplace, but it may not have caused the larger fire. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms took samples from that area of the home to find out if an accelerant was used.

The cause of the fire is still under investigation, and has not yet been determined.

Ah'Dariya and Dar'Shawn were students at Shoal Creek Elementary School, as is their brother Darnell.

A memorial service for the children will be held Saturday, Jan. 19 at 11 a.m. at Springfield Baptist Church in Conyers.

A memorial fund has been created for the family. Donations to the Glass Family Memorial Fund, account 1009683226, can be made through Wells Fargo.

This Story is breaking my heart. Check your smoke detectors, ladies. If you need them, check with your local fire department and you may be able to get a free one. Replace them, test them, make sure they work. I don't want to see this happen again.

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
laurag8707
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Sad just sad those babies are dead over a non battery having smoke detector to sad

abbysmommy429
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:27 PM

I saw this in my paper; so sad.

deputygirls28
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:28 PM
Stories like this are horrible. They could've very easily been saved if there were working smoke detectors. Sadly, this is all too common
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
motherslove82
by Ruby Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:28 PM

It is.

Quoting laurag8707:

Sad just sad those babies are dead over a non battery having smoke detector to sad

wilesmomma
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:28 PM
That's horrible. Carbon monoxide detectors are important too.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lalaboosh
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:31 PM

My chimney caught fire yesterday, it was scary. We were all up and got out of the house and it ended up putting itself out, but we called the fire dept and they came out and checked it out for us. It made me so glad that our landlady gave us two smoke detectors with batteries a few months ago, and that we have two fire extinguishers in the house. Although we need to get our extinguishers checked out.

That poor family, I hope they find peace.

motherslove82
by Ruby Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Yes, they are!

Quoting wilesmomma:

That's horrible. Carbon monoxide detectors are important too.

goddess99
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Very sad.

motherslove82
by Ruby Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Wow, that's scary. I'm glad you are all ok.

Quoting lalaboosh:

My chimney caught fire yesterday, it was scary. We were all up and got out of the house and it ended up putting itself out, but we called the fire dept and they came out and checked it out for us. It made me so glad that our landlady gave us two smoke detectors with batteries a few months ago, and that we have two fire extinguishers in the house. Although we need to get our extinguishers checked out.

That poor family, I hope they find peace.

JessT5280
by MileHigh Mom on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:36 PM

How sad. It reminds me of a fire in our town a few years ago, where the mom was at work, and lost 4 or 5 children, and her husband. They lived in a shared duplex style appartment, and the downstairs neighbor caught the kitchen on fire ... he didn't know his neighbors were upstairs, sleeping. No fire detectors, and it was complicated by the fact that no one spoke english. It was sooo sad. :( 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)