Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So stinkin' proud of my kid!

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:35 PM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this
My husband is doing a drop in all day in our daughter's kindergarten class so he can help with a pizza party. I told him to speak to her teacher about the books she was bringing home to read because they are too easy for her. I don't want her to struggle, but these are the kind of books she was reading last year, she needs a bit more of a challenge. You could tell she was bored reading that book.
I just got a text from my husband, apparently she is the only kindergartner in either class to know all of the sight words, and that book was an end of the year level book.
This is only partially our doing lol. Our oldest is in first grade and they play school a lot. Last year she pretty much taught her little sister how to read.

I'm so proud of her. Of both of them. Now my concern is her getting bored in class, that's usually trouble :/
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LyndseyBlake980
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:38 PM
1 mom liked this

ask her teacher if she can bring an extra book to read when she finishes her work and thats awesome im trying to teach my kids how to read they know thebooks i read daily so im trying to switch it up a bit 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Thats wonderful! You should take her to the bookstore and let her pick out her own book. Something more appropriate for her level!

Let her know how well she is doing.

Congrats momma!

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Good for her :)

UxorQuodMatris.
by Ruby Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:42 PM
We're working on the Junie B. Jones series right now, with both girls. Those are short chapter books.
I'm hoping her teacher will do what my first grader's teacher does and bring in books from the next grade level.

Quoting LyndseyBlake980:

ask her teacher if she can bring an extra book to read when she finishes her work and thats awesome im trying to teach my kids how to read they know thebooks i read daily so im trying to switch it up a bit 

frankiesma530
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:44 PM
Yup kids act out sometimes when there is no challenge but congrats to her reading skills:-)
she_walk_softly
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Aww way to go big sis!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Your dd reads in kindergarten? My dd is 3 1/2 and knows the alphabet, no sight words. What should I be doing to get her ready to read?

UxorQuodMatris.
by Ruby Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:52 PM
Read to her, and do it often. That's how we got started. And just be patient, if she's done looking at a book, let her be done.

Quoting Anonymous:

Your dd reads in kindergarten? My dd is 3 1/2 and knows the alphabet, no sight words. What should I be doing to get her ready to read?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Quoting UxorQuodMatris.:

Read to her, and do it often. That's how we got started. And just be patient, if she's done looking at a book, let her be done.

Absolutely. We read to her every day. She always enjoys this, and sometimes pretends to read because she has many books memorized. When she won't go to sleep at night, she turns her light back on and looks at her books. I know she's going to love reading. I imagine it was exciting for you when your dd learned how to read.

UxorQuodMatris.
by Ruby Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:00 PM
It's great watching them pick a book off the shelf and just curl up on the couch. The only part that sucks is we can't spell anything anymore lol. They've caught on.
Even my 16 month old will grab a board book and climb in your lap lol.

I'm sure you can find a list of the kindergarten sight words online. Also, labeling items in your home with sticky notes is another way for them to begin to recognize words.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting UxorQuodMatris.:

Absolutely. We read to her every day. She always enjoys this, and sometimes pretends to read because she has many books memorized. When she won't go to sleep at night, she turns her light back on and looks at her books. I know she's going to love reading. I imagine it was exciting for you when your dd learned how to read.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)