Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The dentist strapped my child's hands to the chair (Bad dentist experiences) EDIT: He's in Michigan now.

Posted by   + Show Post

This is a S/O on the "natural dentistry" post.

I was remembering about the time I took my 4yod to a well-known and highly recommended pediatric dentist here in town.  He was supposed to be the BEST in town.

I trusted him and his clinic when they said I could not go back to the exam room with my child. I had to sit in the waiting room fretting for 1.5 hours! Nobody came to give me a heads up or to ask what I would allow to be done to my precious little 4yo child.

She came out of there with a pale white face, puking from the drugs they had given her WITHOUT MY CONSENT. They had pulled a baby tooth, and they had also performed some sort of root canal on a BABY TOOTH (I know better now, they were scheisters.) They told me I owed them hundreds of dollars for work on one single baby tooth. I left crying myself.

On the car ride home, my 4yo child revealed to me that they had strapped her hands to the chair. She was frightened and terrified and cried for me. I could not hear her and come help her.  Then she said they gave her medicine that made her feel like she was floating on the ceiling, but they still wouldn't untie her hands.

I called the dentist's office complaining about her being strapped to the chair in that manner, and they told me it was protocol for little children so they don't swipe at the dentist while he's working on their teeth. It was to protect the DENTIST, apparently.

Anyhow, it took me a long time to get over that incident and the fact that I felt I'd let me child down, I hadn't been there for her when she cried out for me. It took a long time for my child to get over it, herself.

I couldn't remember the dental office's name, but I do remember the name of the dentist:  Dr. Jost.

If it's the same one I went to, he's in Michigan now.

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Replies (21-30):
sorcha1945
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:44 PM

After all the nightmares I have heard I will never take my child to a pediatric dentist, ever!

Bitterroot
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:44 PM

I remembered the dentist's name.  He obviously isn't practicing here anymore, but I see he is in Michigan now.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:45 PM

How scary! Poor kid.

I've heard stories like this. I decided to go with a pediatric dentist that lets parents come back with them.

autodidact
by Snarknado on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:45 PM

yeah, that was it. those stories were horrid. 

Quoting LoveMyLos:

Small smiles....horrid place.

Quoting autodidact:

was it part of a chain? I saw an expose on a chain of places that were doing unwarranted root canals on a bunch of kids, same MO, ban the parents from the back, and do a shitload of unneeded procedures without obtaining permission. it had Smiles in the title I think. 

lalaboosh
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Wow. I was worried I wouldn't be able to find a good dentist for my daughter, but it turns out our insurance covers my childhood dentist! He's great, he has this big open room where he does all the exams and procedures and when we went in there was a family in there with mom sitting next to her child getting work done. For my daughter's exam she just sat with the dentist on what looked like a massage table and he spoke softly to her and looked around her mouth, removed a little plaque (sp?), gave us a little advice, and we were on our way. We were in there for like 15 minutes. It's shocking to me that your daughter went in and they did procedures right away. Whenever the dentist found a cavity in me they'd schedule an appointment to get the work done, they didn't just dive in and do it. I hope that office gets some harsh penalties for drugging and restraining a minor without consent. <3

egyptian_mommy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:45 PM
1 mom liked this
My ds lost his front teeth at the age of three thanks to an incompetent dentist. Thankfully we have since found a wonderful dentist.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommaTasha1003
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:45 PM

:( im sorry. thats aweful... and they would regret it because id be doing everything to let the public know about them.....

My kids dont go nowhere without me.. especially dentist office, we had to call a few until we found some that dont mind it..

Bitterroot
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Thankfully, the bashing on me is at a minimum for now.
I do hope it helps another mama avoid my mistake.

I see that dentist is now practicing in Michigan.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah, maybe it will. Stories like yours and also seeing similar stories on shows like Dateline on tv, made me aware of what could happen. Telling others your experience, may help save someone else's child from the same traumatic experience!

Quoting Bitterroot:

Quoting Anonymous:

My 3 yr old twins just recently had their first dental appointment. Before I even scheduled the appointment, I asked what their policies are and how they handle very young patients. They were great. My DH went with one twin, and I went with the other.

That was a great idea, asking the receptionist how they handle young-uns.

Well, I learned from my experience!  (My poor kid.)

Maybe my story will help another mama on this forum avoid the mistake I made.

lucsch
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Strapping a small child on a board to keep them immobile is pretty normal for a pedatric dentist. Also, not letting the parent go back with the child is normal. However, doing procedures or giving them drugs without your direct consent is NOT.

Bitterroot
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Quoting lucsch:

Strapping a small child on a board to keep them immobile is pretty normal for a pedatric dentist. Also, not letting the parent go back with the child is normal. However, doing procedures or giving them drugs without your direct consent is NOT.

Have you had experience with a dental office that uses straps on children?  Just curious, not bashing in any way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN