Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The dentist strapped my child's hands to the chair (Bad dentist experiences) EDIT: He's in Michigan now.

Posted by   + Show Post

This is a S/O on the "natural dentistry" post.

I was remembering about the time I took my 4yod to a well-known and highly recommended pediatric dentist here in town.  He was supposed to be the BEST in town.

I trusted him and his clinic when they said I could not go back to the exam room with my child. I had to sit in the waiting room fretting for 1.5 hours! Nobody came to give me a heads up or to ask what I would allow to be done to my precious little 4yo child.

She came out of there with a pale white face, puking from the drugs they had given her WITHOUT MY CONSENT. They had pulled a baby tooth, and they had also performed some sort of root canal on a BABY TOOTH (I know better now, they were scheisters.) They told me I owed them hundreds of dollars for work on one single baby tooth. I left crying myself.

On the car ride home, my 4yo child revealed to me that they had strapped her hands to the chair. She was frightened and terrified and cried for me. I could not hear her and come help her.  Then she said they gave her medicine that made her feel like she was floating on the ceiling, but they still wouldn't untie her hands.

I called the dentist's office complaining about her being strapped to the chair in that manner, and they told me it was protocol for little children so they don't swipe at the dentist while he's working on their teeth. It was to protect the DENTIST, apparently.

Anyhow, it took me a long time to get over that incident and the fact that I felt I'd let me child down, I hadn't been there for her when she cried out for me. It took a long time for my child to get over it, herself.

I couldn't remember the dental office's name, but I do remember the name of the dentist:  Dr. Jost.

If it's the same one I went to, he's in Michigan now.

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:49 PM

My dentist (lo isn't born yet) allows parents to go back if they choose to but they don't care either way. I didn't even let my Nephew out of mine my moms my sister or her DH's sight when he was born. My mom Watched thru the window at the Hospital in the nursery when he was brought there. 

Reason being My sister and I had a friend have a baby and it died 7 days later after the Nurses screwd up. They mixed up the charts for my friends DD and gave her an unneeded blood transfusion which was the wrong blood type which caused her to die. 

they tried to blame the mom and say it was her breast milk but it came out later that she had a blood transfusion that was meant for another child. 

So there would be No way he would be going to the back room at a dentist office. 

lalaboosh
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:50 PM

It depends on the pediatric dentist, ours is really family friendly. He's got a big open room for exams and procedures and the whole family comes in. There's toys for siblings to play with and chairs for parents to sit right next to the kid getting work done.

Quoting sorcha1945:

After all the nightmares I have heard I will never take my child to a pediatric dentist, ever!

Bitterroot
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Holy shit.  That's awful!

With the birth of my three children, they stayed right beside me after they were born...if they had to leave my room, my hubby went with the nurse.

I just didn't know about dentists and children.

Quoting Anonymous:

My dentist (lo isn't born yet) allows parents to go back if they choose to but they don't care either way. I didn't even let my Nephew out of mine my moms my sister or her DH's sight when he was born. My mom Watched thru the window at the Hospital in the nursery when he was brought there. 

Reason being My sister and I had a friend have a baby and it died 7 days later after the Nurses screwd up. They mixed up the charts for my friends DD and gave her an unneeded blood transfusion which was the wrong blood type which caused her to die. 

they tried to blame the mom and say it was her breast milk but it came out later that she had a blood transfusion that was meant for another child. 

mich.el.le
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I would have flipped the eff out, not paid them and reported them. My 4 yo had his first dentist visit yesterday and he did awesome and so did the dentist and hygienist.  There's NO way I'd let my child go somewhere that I wasn't allowed.  I'm so sorry this happened to you and your dd.  How awful.

1likeme
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:51 PM
I'm sorry your daughter went through that but I think it's great that you are sharing this experience. More parents should be aware of what goes on in offices like these. The only place parents should not be is in operating rooms during surgeries. Other than that parents should not bring their child to any health care professional that has a no parents policy.
eyeheartsin
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:52 PM
That is so scary! I do not trust dentists or doctors who don't allow parents back.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I had dental surgery at 12 years old, to put caps on all my teeth. A week later i went to the doctor with white spots covering the inside of my mouth.  "Oral herpes"

After being confronted about it by the head of the dentistry place, she packed up and left state.

Not even sure i want to know what happened when i was out of it. 

Just hoping it was dirty utilsels, but it stil comes back to this day and im 24

Bitterroot
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I did end up finding a fabulous pediatric dentist for my other children.  He has life-sized replicas of African animals in his office, and each office is really just an area in a really large, open room.  The parents are welcome to come sit next to the dentist as he works, and he NEVER straps a child down.  There are Disney movies playing on the ceiling (for when the children are reclining in really soft leather sofa-type loungers as the dentist works).

Quoting lalaboosh:

It depends on the pediatric dentist, ours is really family friendly. He's got a big open room for exams and procedures and the whole family comes in. There's toys for siblings to play with and chairs for parents to sit right next to the kid getting work done.

Quoting sorcha1945:

After all the nightmares I have heard I will never take my child to a pediatric dentist, ever!

kamrynlily07
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:54 PM
This is why I have a dental phobia. I remember Bering terrified at the dentist as a child. I'm so sorry for your little girl :(

Are you sure you didn't sign consents? If you didn't, I would definitely file a lawsuit. Your child should not have been given meds or any procedure without your written consent.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bitterroot
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Wow.  That's terrible that you still suffer to this day from that doctor's lack of care and concern for others.

Quoting Anonymous:

I had dental surgery at 12 years old, to put caps on all my teeth. A week later i went to the doctor with white spots covering the inside of my mouth.  "Oral herpes"

After being confronted about it by the head of the dentistry place, she packed up and left state.

Not even sure i want to know what happened when i was out of it. 

Just hoping it was dirty utilsels, but it stil comes back to this day and im 24

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)