Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The dentist strapped my child's hands to the chair (Bad dentist experiences) EDIT: He's in Michigan now.

Posted by   + Show Post

This is a S/O on the "natural dentistry" post.

I was remembering about the time I took my 4yod to a well-known and highly recommended pediatric dentist here in town.  He was supposed to be the BEST in town.

I trusted him and his clinic when they said I could not go back to the exam room with my child. I had to sit in the waiting room fretting for 1.5 hours! Nobody came to give me a heads up or to ask what I would allow to be done to my precious little 4yo child.

She came out of there with a pale white face, puking from the drugs they had given her WITHOUT MY CONSENT. They had pulled a baby tooth, and they had also performed some sort of root canal on a BABY TOOTH (I know better now, they were scheisters.) They told me I owed them hundreds of dollars for work on one single baby tooth. I left crying myself.

On the car ride home, my 4yo child revealed to me that they had strapped her hands to the chair. She was frightened and terrified and cried for me. I could not hear her and come help her.  Then she said they gave her medicine that made her feel like she was floating on the ceiling, but they still wouldn't untie her hands.

I called the dentist's office complaining about her being strapped to the chair in that manner, and they told me it was protocol for little children so they don't swipe at the dentist while he's working on their teeth. It was to protect the DENTIST, apparently.

Anyhow, it took me a long time to get over that incident and the fact that I felt I'd let me child down, I hadn't been there for her when she cried out for me. It took a long time for my child to get over it, herself.

I couldn't remember the dental office's name, but I do remember the name of the dentist:  Dr. Jost.

If it's the same one I went to, he's in Michigan now.

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:54 PM

I've learned a lot from here about what to do when it comes to kids and appointments. But the hospital i learned from her and Yahoo articles (pathetic i know) When I have my LO My mom will be there as well as my DH so if one is napping then the other will have an eye on my LO. 

I'm sorry your LO had such a horrible experience I hope it didn't ruin the dentist for DD. 

Quoting Bitterroot:

Holy shit.  That's awful!

With the birth of my three children, they stayed right beside me after they were born...if they had to leave my room, my hubby went with the nurse.

I just didn't know about dentists and children.

Quoting Anonymous:

My dentist (lo isn't born yet) allows parents to go back if they choose to but they don't care either way. I didn't even let my Nephew out of mine my moms my sister or her DH's sight when he was born. My mom Watched thru the window at the Hospital in the nursery when he was brought there. 

Reason being My sister and I had a friend have a baby and it died 7 days later after the Nurses screwd up. They mixed up the charts for my friends DD and gave her an unneeded blood transfusion which was the wrong blood type which caused her to die. 

they tried to blame the mom and say it was her breast milk but it came out later that she had a blood transfusion that was meant for another child. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Im so sorry for your daughter's experience.  Just before my son's first dental appointment I heard a simliar story from someone else. I was mortified for them, just like I am for your daughter now.  We don't even do restraints like this for animals.

Elyce225
by Ruby Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:55 PM
Our children go to a pediatric dentist, she is wonderful. My kids are literally thrilled to go to the dentist. My almost 13 year old even likes it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bitterroot
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Quoting 1likeme:

I'm sorry your daughter went through that but I think it's great that you are sharing this experience. More parents should be aware of what goes on in offices like these. The only place parents should not be is in operating rooms during surgeries. Other than that parents should not bring their child to any health care professional that has a no parents policy.

This is great advice.

lucsch
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Yes, my children started going to a pediatric dentist very young. It is for the child's safety to strap them down, and I am fine with it. My regular dentist would not fix my 2yo's teeth so he recommended this dentist. My son had 2 crowns and 2 fillings because of birth defects with the enamel of his teeth. I am very thankful that these pediatric dentists can handle very young children. It seems cruel, but it isn't. They are very kind to the children there.

Quoting Bitterroot:

Quoting lucsch:

Strapping a small child on a board to keep them immobile is pretty normal for a pedatric dentist. Also, not letting the parent go back with the child is normal. However, doing procedures or giving them drugs without your direct consent is NOT.

Have you had experience with a dental office that uses straps on children?  Just curious, not bashing in any way.

daughteroftruth
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Many dental practices are now telling parents to stay in the waiting room.

Quoting autodidact:

they said I could not go back to the exam room with my child. 

red fucking flag. no way I'd allow this. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bitterroot
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Thanks for sharing your positive experience with having a child's arms restrained. 

When I mentioned my dd's experience to my one friend who recommended this dentist to me, she said, yeah, they do that to her kids, but her kids don't seem to mind one bit.  My friend simply waits in the waiting room for them to finish up.

Quoting lucsch:

Yes, my children started going to a pediatric dentist very young. It is for the child's safety to strap them down, and I am fine with it. My regular dentist would not fix my 2yo's teeth so he recommended this dentist. My son had 2 crowns and 2 fillings because of birth defects with the enamel of his teeth. I am very thankful that these pediatric dentists can handle very young children. It seems cruel, but it isn't. They are very kind to the children there.

Quoting Bitterroot:

Quoting lucsch:

Strapping a small child on a board to keep them immobile is pretty normal for a pedatric dentist. Also, not letting the parent go back with the child is normal. However, doing procedures or giving them drugs without your direct consent is NOT.

Have you had experience with a dental office that uses straps on children?  Just curious, not bashing in any way.

SweetMama823
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:58 PM
Exactly! I would never put my child in a situation like that. I would of left screw that! I've heard too many stories about dentist's offices.

Quoting autodidact:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm so sorry for your experience, I'd be pissed too.
My boys' dentist allows me to go in for regular vistas, when my boys had cavities, he asked me to wait outside. Understandable, parents get freaked out and then children get freaked out. He can do his job better if mommy isn't in the room.
But he was recommended to me by my sil, who's a dentist herself and she takes her own to to this guy.
Now, the strapping thing, I honestly don't see anything wrong with it. That's for the child's safety. Just because the child didn't like it that doesn't ran it was wrong. When my lite one needed stitches in his lower lip, the plastic surgeon strapped him down. It was for his own good.
Giving drugs without your consent, well that depends what drugs we're talking about. When my boys got their cavities fixed, the doctor never told me he'll be using an anesthetic, but I assumed. I do think the doctor should've come to you before any treatment was done, though. Mine did
LoganAndKennedy
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:02 PM
2 moms liked this
Not necessarily. You don't go with a child into surgery. We trust our kids doctors and other professionals, teachers ect. My kidos dentist was a highly recommended pediatric Dentist to me and I've not once went back with my Kids. But they consult me before ANY work is done and my kids have ALWAYS cone out smiling. So she didn't do anything wrong as a parent.

Quoting autodidact:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)