Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The dentist strapped my child's hands to the chair (Bad dentist experiences) EDIT: He's in Michigan now.

Posted by   + Show Post

This is a S/O on the "natural dentistry" post.

I was remembering about the time I took my 4yod to a well-known and highly recommended pediatric dentist here in town.  He was supposed to be the BEST in town.

I trusted him and his clinic when they said I could not go back to the exam room with my child. I had to sit in the waiting room fretting for 1.5 hours! Nobody came to give me a heads up or to ask what I would allow to be done to my precious little 4yo child.

She came out of there with a pale white face, puking from the drugs they had given her WITHOUT MY CONSENT. They had pulled a baby tooth, and they had also performed some sort of root canal on a BABY TOOTH (I know better now, they were scheisters.) They told me I owed them hundreds of dollars for work on one single baby tooth. I left crying myself.

On the car ride home, my 4yo child revealed to me that they had strapped her hands to the chair. She was frightened and terrified and cried for me. I could not hear her and come help her.  Then she said they gave her medicine that made her feel like she was floating on the ceiling, but they still wouldn't untie her hands.

I called the dentist's office complaining about her being strapped to the chair in that manner, and they told me it was protocol for little children so they don't swipe at the dentist while he's working on their teeth. It was to protect the DENTIST, apparently.

Anyhow, it took me a long time to get over that incident and the fact that I felt I'd let me child down, I hadn't been there for her when she cried out for me. It took a long time for my child to get over it, herself.

I couldn't remember the dental office's name, but I do remember the name of the dentist:  Dr. Jost.

If it's the same one I went to, he's in Michigan now.

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Replies (71-71):
Bitterroot
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Quoting kfroz0415:

I took my 5 yr old to Ocean Dental and never freaking again. 

We don't have a pediatric dentist in town where I live, the closest is Ocean Dental 2 hours from my home. We get there, sign in, and hear that they are running almost TWO HOURS behind because of walk ins... I was ready to leave when I heard that, if you can't take walk ins without delaying the appointments you have made, don't take them.

Anyway then they would not allow me back with him. I would have protested more, but as I said we have no pediatric dentists in town and he HAD to have a checkup within 12 months of his first day of school and his last dental check by a dental hygienist would have been 12 months plus a little by his first day, as he had it done during an iSmile visit at his preschool. 

Anyway he was back there much longer than it seemed he should have been for a check and cleaning. The hygienist comes out and is rude to me. Then addresses the issues with his teeth in such a way that I felt she was accusing me of doing it to him. (He hit his front teeth at some point hard enough to damage the root). 

Anyway to top it off the waiting room was filthy. Unknown stains on the floor, chairs, walls, and ceiling. I'm sorry any sort of health clinic should be pristine.

I'm still looking for a dentist that will treat him in town or one nearby that will allow me back with him, not be rude to both my son and I, and have clean facilities. 

Oh also, ds told me the hygienist lectured him about a few things with and when he repeated what she said I was appalled.  

The hygienist comes out and is rude to me. Then addresses the issues with his teeth in such a way that I felt she was accusing me of doing it to him.

- that was how I felt, too.  Like I was a bad mommy because my child had to have a tooth pulled.  (I still don't understand that, though, because I think it should've just been a single cavity filled.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN