Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I am poor and want to homeschool

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 174 Replies
2 moms liked this

I have wanted to home-school for a while and the recent school shootings have made me want to even more. Then add that fact that a student took a gun to school today at the high school my husband and I attended hits way too close to home for me. I don't feel my children are safe in public school. The thing that is really holding me back is that we are poor. My husband works full time and is currently attending classes full time at our local community college with plans to transfer to a university after completing his associate degree. We have four children, three are in school and the youngest will be four soon. Right now I am a stay at home mom. Is it possible for a family that is below poverty level to home-school? 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SalemWitchChild
by Blessed be on Jan. 11, 2013 at 4:01 PM
10 moms liked this

Yes. Try K12. Technically it is public school but done at home. They even give you a computer. All the materials are free. You just have to provide the PC desk and normal things like paper, ink, etc..

La_Vie_en_R0se
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 4:02 PM
9 moms liked this
Why would that stop you if you are already a stay at home mom? I don't get it...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MomOfTwins789
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 4:05 PM
I would say go for it! Like someone said their are free curriculums out there. Talk to someone in your area that homeschools and they could give you more info. Good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
I.am.Betty
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 4:09 PM
1 mom liked this
money really isnt an issue with homeschooling. looj up local groups in your area, also you can find used material on ebay, craigslist, garage sales ect. how old/what grade are your kids? if they are young enough you can get everything free online. also check your local library, ours has a homeschool group that meets weekly along with different school material to check out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stickyfingers
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 4:12 PM
my son did K12 and so did a few of his friends...they all failed, even the ones who were honor students in regular school.

Quoting SalemWitchChild:

Yes. Try K12. Technically it is public school but done at home. They even give you a computer. All the materials are free. You just have to provide the PC desk and normal things like paper, ink, etc..

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lalaboosh
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this

If you're already a SAHM I don't see why you can't homeschool. You can probably get a lot of support if you look in the right places. I want to find a couple of other families who want to homeschool and provide a diverse thourough education like I do and take turns through the week with the kids so they have different teachers and a few kids to be around. Plus it would give me time to work or go to school AND be a homeschool parent.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 11, 2013 at 4:15 PM

do you know why?  what was the program like? i see so many people saying that k12 is such a great homeschooling option but i seriously have my doubts :(

Quoting stickyfingers:

my son did K12 and so did a few of his friends...they all failed, even the ones who were honor students in regular school.

Quoting SalemWitchChild:

ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Jan. 11, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Yes.

First you can try the homeschooling group on here. They are awesome

There are a lot of cheap & even free resources out there.

ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Jan. 11, 2013 at 4:19 PM
1 mom liked this

she's probably thinking about school supplies, curriculum  and stuff  like that. It can add up real quick.

Quoting La_Vie_en_R0se:

Why would that stop you if you are already a stay at home mom? I don't get it...

"I'll be home for Christmas if only in my dreams"

stickyfingers
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 4:20 PM
mine and his friends were high schoolers...he didnt understand some things and while they do have resources they also make the kid do all the work of looking for help. not like at normal school where they can just walk right up and ask the teacher for help. the teacher didnt let me know what was up until he was so far behind it was impossible for him to catch up by the end of the quarter. also MY son was not disciplined enough. but if ur kids do it you have to stay on them and check if they are doing their stuff...its really tough. he did it twice.

Quoting Anonymous:

do you know why?  what was the program like? i see so many people saying that k12 is such a great homeschooling option but i seriously have my doubts :(

Quoting stickyfingers:

Quoting SalemWitchChild:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)