Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do I really have to wear a dress

Posted by   + Show Post
If the invitation says cocktail attire? I have a pair of very nice black dress slacks I planned to wear with a red dressy top
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 6:28 PM
Replies (41-50):
Namaste09
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:04 AM
Looks like your going shopping
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:04 AM
*Shocked by the lack of grown ups here*

Yes you have to were a dress.
Siare
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Not appropriate. You need a dress.

Quoting Roxygurl:

This is the top. I promise it looks fancier in person. My fiancé wrinkle his nose up at it based on the picture but then when it actually came in he said that it looks a lot nicer in person.

MrsErdos2011
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:05 AM

There is more range in cocktail attire for women, although there are a few standard guidelines. Hemlines for dresses and skirts are usually relatively short, at or slightly above the knee. Long, dressy pants with a silk blouse or cashmere sweater could also be appropriate.

The traditional choice is a cocktail dress. These dresses can range from strapless and flashy to a more conservative little black dress, so a woman should be able to find a look she's comfortable with. It's usually best to choose an outfit that is more elegant than showy, and isn't too short or too revealing. Again, the context of the event is important, and it's usually better to be a little conservative than to be too flashy.

Typically, cocktail-wear is knee length, though if a woman is wearing a simple straight skirt, longer is acceptable. A skirt and jacket or evening suit could be worn to a cocktail event, especially if paired with dressy top. Cocktail attire usually suggests fun, so a woman shouldn't look like she is going to a business meeting.

Women's Shoes

Seasonally appropriate high heels or boots can match with cocktail attire. Unless they are going to be a major accent piece, the height and flashiness of the shoes should be kept to a minimum to allow the focus instead to be on the elegance and grace of the outfit. Sneakersand flip-flops are inappropriate for cocktail attire, but dressy sandals or pretty ballet flats can easily fit the style.

Jewelry and Accessories

There is room for a little flash and sparkle in cocktail attire, but it's best to practice restraint. One piece of jewelry that matches the outfit or will catch attention can really enhance the look without being showy; a cocktail ring, watch, or pair of earrings are all that is really needed. Handbags should typically be small, such as a clutch, evening bag, or stylish wristlet.

Other Considerations

Cocktail attire is often required for dinner or happy hour events, or nights that will include a broad range of activities, from dancing to award presentations. Knowing the nature of the event can help a person determine how formal he or she should dress, but it's possible to work some versatility into an outfit; both men and women can add a jacket to the outfit, for example, which can be removed in less formal situations. Clothing or shoes that are uncomfortable or make the wearer self-conscious are usually not a good choice, as they can make it very difficult to enjoy the event.

I may not be a perfect wife or mother but I am perfect in the eyes of my son and my husband and that is all that matters.

SpnFulOfSugar
by Emerald Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:05 AM
I would wear a dress
Jennyanne322
by Ruby Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:07 AM
You will stick out like a sore thumb in pants and a top. Just go but a dress, or borrow one from a friend.
annasew
by Gold Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:10 AM

cocktail atire generaly means a dress.    Go get a little black dress that makes you feel sexy.  

casseopeia
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:12 AM

A short dress (not a ball gown) or skirt is really the most appropriate attire.  There are some realy lovely options out there.  I don't have a perfect body by a long shot and found several dresses that actually looked good and were comfortable.  My big problem is that I hate my arms, so I have to find dresses that are long-sleeved or at least 3/4 length.  You can search on-line at Macy's, Bloomingdales and Nordstroms for features that you want.  You can also get a lot of plus-size dresses that are gorgeous.  The key to looking really good is a well-made foundation garment that holds everything in place and doesn't create bulges.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:15 AM
I would wear my pajamas. Actually I'd never go to a party that says cocktail attire
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:17 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

*Shocked by the lack of grown ups here*

Yes you have to were a dress.

shocked that the host feels the need to dictate attire. She doesn't need a dress.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)