Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Anyone else notice that once they story fleshed out and schizophrenia was mentioned poof!

How sad I hope the baby is put for adoption with a nice family.

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:41 PM
Replies (71-74):
428pm
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I suggest you read the context on the facebook page.  I am not going to argue about it.  She herself claimed the CPS said she had that.  I cannot diagnose someone over the frikkin internet and neither can you. Honestly I dont care that much.  

Quoting lancet98:

Can you explain why a person who has such a major illness would refer to it in such a completely incorrect manner?

Generally, people use the right words for their diagnosis, even if they don't entirely understand what the words mean (or understand their illness), because they hear it repeated so many times.

And NOT ONE PROFESSIONAL OF ANY TYPE, uses the term 'psychotic schizophrenia'.

It's ridiculous, in fact, and sounds more like something someone would make up.

Quoting 428pm:

on her facebook she mentioned that CPS wanted her to get help for having "psychotic schizphrenia"  That it why it was thought she may have that.  

Quoting lancet98:

I did not see any indication that the OP was schizophrenic, but it does seem that some posts were edited or deleted.

What I would urge is to not assume every single person who writes a weird post, is schizophrenic.  People write when they're high, drunk, or in crisis or very angry and they can write some pretty peculiar things in those states of mind.   Bipolar, borderline, depression, even some brief psychotic states, can be the culprit, too.

Schizophrenia can affect writing in various different ways and it is not that easy for just anyone to tell what is wrong with someone from their writing.

Yes, writing racist things can happen in schizophrenia.   What a schizophrenic is obsessed with, has nothing to do with who they really are or what their beliefs were before they became ill.  It honestly has nothing to do with them.   It's just which part of the brain is affected the worst.  Their obsession might be about racism, or homosexuality, or the IRS, or telephone poles or Moses or Jesus.  Doesn't matter.   The ideas they get follow a pattern, but only because of how the illness affects the brain.  

Doesn't have anything to do with who that person is or what they really believe.   You'll find people who were never racist, having a racist delusion, or who had normal religious feelings, all of a sudden be totally obsessed that they are Jesus.   It really has NOTHING to do with the person or what they're normally like.

Ditto on the emotions.    They might be angry, or hostile, or laughing and giggly.   Just depends on what part of the brain is getting affected by the illness. 

The idea that all schizophrenics are violent or difficult is wrong.  The idea that they all make bad parents is also wrong.   Some do, certainly, but not all.   Most people with schizophrenia (about 70%) have it either mild or moderate case, and they can manage well if they stick with treatment.  Most people who have it, you would never even know they have it.   You tend to only find out about the more severe cases where something goes horribly wrong.

However, if a person doesn't stick with their medication, they may have a lot of problems in daily life.  They may have a lot of symptoms and that can really disrupt life.

Usually, not wanting to take medication is common at the start of the illness, but if a person goes for years refusing medication, that means (and is proven by research) that they had a much more severe case of schizophrenia to begin with.   Sometimes it can take years to get them on meds, sometimes they never get on meds. 

Often, people with schizophrenia will only take a smaller amount of medication than prescribed, or only take it on days when they feel really low or when someone is checking up on them.  This is very common and affects about 50 or 60% of schizophrenics, some studies say even more.   Of course, taking ANY medication for ANY illness, as prescribed, every day, is really rare!   That runs less than 50% in general, for all daily medicines of any time.

And as with most other illnesses, taking the medication like that, not enough, not every day- the illness will get worse over time, there will be periods of time when it's really bad, etc.

As for 'sounding rational and intelligent', most people with schizophrenia give a confusing picture that is a mixture of rationality and intelligence on the one hand  about some things, and then puzzlingly irrational about others.   Once you understand the illness more, it makes sense, but to an outsider there just is a very puzzling mixture of rational and irrational. 

Quoting Jessica_Esqueda:

Quoting Bonita131:

Quoting Jessica_Esqueda:

Quoting Anonymous:

Unless it has vanished too by now there is another post in here called  "where I live" that she has just made under her sn. 

Nope, she's still ranting. It's actually quite hilarious. 

Why would you think a person with a mental issue is hilarious?

Theres no proof she's mental. And her racism and attempts at bashing ARE funny.

lancet98
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:11 PM

If you really don't care about mental illness or becoming more educated on it and related issues, you really should care.

I seriously doubt that you don't care about SOMETHING because you've trailed this rabbit so far already, but I think it's being disagreed with that really bothers you, not whether this woman has schizophrenia or not.

One thing I am sure about is that people don't always tell the truth on facebook.   The other thing I'm sure about is that they don't always lie.

As far as identifying a person's mental illness from their writing, if you had taken a moment to read what I said instead of just bristling at the very IDEA that someone would disagree with your highly august opinion, you would have read that I also agree that is not possible.   WHat I wrote was that there was nothing in her writing that suggested schizophrenia. 

What 'SUGGESTS' schizophrenia?   There are several different 'styles' that one sees in the writing, none are present in those writings.

Why would someone LIE about what mental illness they have?  There are many reasons - to make it sound more dramatic and pitiful than it really is, to get more sympathy, there are many reasons.

IS SHE LYING?  

I don't know, but I CAN say that there is nothing about her writing that screams any specific disorder.

Quoting 428pm:

I suggest you read the context on the facebook page.  I am not going to argue about it.  She herself claimed the CPS said she had that.  I cannot diagnose someone over the frikkin internet and neither can you. Honestly I dont care that much.  

428pm
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:14 PM

done with your soapbox?

Quoting lancet98:

If you really don't care about mental illness or becoming more educated on it and related issues, you really should care.

I seriously doubt that you don't care about SOMETHING because you've trailed this rabbit so far already, but I think it's being disagreed with that really bothers you, not whether this woman has schizophrenia or not.

One thing I am sure about is that people don't always tell the truth on facebook.   The other thing I'm sure about is that they don't always lie.

As far as identifying a person's mental illness from their writing, if you had taken a moment to read what I said instead of just bristling at the very IDEA that someone would disagree with your highly august opinion, you would have read that I also agree that is not possible.   WHat I wrote was that there was nothing in her writing that suggested schizophrenia. 

What 'SUGGESTS' schizophrenia?   There are several different 'styles' that one sees in the writing, none are present in those writings.

Why would someone LIE about what mental illness they have?  There are many reasons - to make it sound more dramatic and pitiful than it really is, to get more sympathy, there are many reasons.

IS SHE LYING?  

I don't know, but I CAN say that there is nothing about her writing that screams any specific disorder.

Quoting 428pm:

lancet98
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:56 PM

You done with yours?

Quoting 428pm:

done with your soapbox?

Quoting lancet98:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)