Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it normal to feel this way about your child?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My son came out as gay a few weeks ago. I cannot help but feel disappointed. I won't have biological grandkids. When I gave birth to him I had a vision of how great his life will be, wife, kids etc. Now I cant help but think of how hard his life will be with unaccepting people and things. I just feel sad. 

I still love him and treat him the same. I just feel sad. Like a part of they boy I knew was lost.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:58 PM
Replies (21-22):
Kmary
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Normal.  But you will adjust.  Glad he felt comfortable coming out to you.  You've done something right!  Everything will be fine. 

ANSLUASI
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Totally normal. But then if he was straight, there is no guarantee you would have a bio grandchild either.

The best way to help him be accepted by society is to accept him yourself. With a wall of loving support behind him, any opposition he faces will be easier to overcome or endure.

Despite the challenges, he is still the wonderful person you raised, and he still has a terrific, bright future before him with all the opportunities for love and fulfillment that he had before. Straight life is not without its challenges and pitfalls as well. There is still a marvelous, wonderful, loving partner out there for him to find that can help make his life complete. They may still have a family. You may even get bio grandkids if they use a surrogate. His future just lies on a different path than you expected. Not worse, just different. Take it one day at a time and remember that you only lost a vision you had for the future. You didn't lose your son.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured