Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm a nanny, ask me anything

Posted by   + Show Post
I'm bored so I figured I'd do an ask me anything post
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:54 PM
Replies (31-40):
skittlefart
by Taste the Rainbow on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:35 AM

how much you charge? Where are you located? 

100_2740_zps5829069a-1_zpsb5588e7c
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Daisypath Wedding tickers
opal10161973
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Do you think that a plan with a specified time for doing things, even with time built into it, is too much?  I wrote up a plan and it seemed good to me, but I wondered if it was too much to ask.  I left sometimes an hour slot for a 15 minute thing.  I wondered if I was expecting too much. 

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 2:30 AM
He's almost 7 so he's in school. When he's not he comes with me

Quoting dtristan78:

Who watches your kid when you nanny?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 2:32 AM
I love being a nanny. Most days are great but some days I question why I became a nanny.

Quoting daytonbaby210:

Do you like being a nanny? Is it difficult or rewarding or a little bit of both?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 2:37 AM
1 mom liked this
This job fell into my lap. They asked the day I quit a job so I took it.

He comes with me and always has. He goes to school during the day and I pick him plus the little girl I nanny up from school.

Nope no nanny cams thank goodness. I worked at a daycare once where there were cameras and the owner and director would sit there watching the monitors and barking orders at us. I hated it and vowed to never work anywhere they had cameras on me.

This is the second family actually. I was with the first family 9 months and the mom got laid off so she didn't need me, this family is friends with them so I still get to see the boys occasionally.

Quoting LadyDoja:

I am a former nanny, I currently work at a daycare. 

What made you choose to become a nanny?

Does your lo go to work with you? If not who takes care of your lo?

Does the family you work for have nanny cams?

Is this the only family you have worked for? If not how many others have you worked for?

lol it isn't very often that I see someone else in the same career field that I am in. It's nice to see :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 2:38 AM
I have no clue I don't watch many movies

Quoting muzzyh:

What do think will win best picture?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 2:39 AM
I make 52,000 a year and I'm in Texas.

Quoting skittlefart:

how much you charge? Where are you located? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 2:41 AM
No I think that's smart actually. I have a schedule I keep because it makes life so much easier.

I would say though that giving yourself an hour for a 15 min activity is too much extra time and I'd actually cut it down to 30 min.

Quoting opal10161973:

Do you think that a plan with a specified time for doing things, even with time built into it, is too much?  I wrote up a plan and it seemed good to me, but I wondered if it was too much to ask.  I left sometimes an hour slot for a 15 minute thing.  I wondered if I was expecting too much. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
addiecakesmommy
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 2:44 AM
Do you do anything behind the parent's back? Like feed the kids stuff you shouldn't, skip a boring activity you are supposed to do, etc.

Are there days where you let the tv babysit or make the kids entertain themselves?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 2:53 AM
No, in the beginning they were 'strict' and I was on my toes so I made sure to do exactly what they wanted but now 6 years in everyone is laid back. I may have plans to take them to say the zoo but then we get invited to go to the children's museum so I shoot mom a text asking if its ok and before I even get a response I start packing everyone up and heading to the door.

The food comment actually made me laugh! I'm a lot stricter on food then their parents are and in fact mom says she likes the fact that I make them eat healthy because then she doesn't have to feel guilty when they don't eat right for dinner or over the weekend.

They rarely watch TV with me, it's on In the morning when I get there but once mom leaves and we start our day it doesn't come back on until 5 which is an hour before I leave. There are days I feel like crap because I get awful sinus headaches and yes those days I will turn the TV on at 4 but that's really the earliest and that happens maybe twice a year.

The days when I'm so bad sick I want to die I call in and that's only happened 4 times.

Quoting addiecakesmommy:

Do you do anything behind the parent's back? Like feed the kids stuff you shouldn't, skip a boring activity you are supposed to do, etc.

Are there days where you let the tv babysit or make the kids entertain themselves?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)