Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

when parents use behavioral meds for their kids?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

what do you think about parents putting their grade school kids on behavioral medication. i personally think that too many times kids are being put on medication that aren't needed; and too many kids are being diagnosed with things they don't necessarily have. MIND YOU I DO THINK SOME KIDS NEED THEM AND HAVE LAGITAMET PROBLEMS! JUST NOT AS MANY AS PEOPLE THINK.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Replies (21-30):
kylenkodysmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:13 AM
I have a child on meds. He's one that actually needs them to help him stay focused.

My other child is a bit hyper and my sister keeps pushing for me to medicate him, but I refuse. I don't think he needs them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:24 AM

I think it can be fantastic, I think it can be a hard choice, and I think it can be not the right choice for the child and it varries widely based on the child in question and the families concerns for the child. 

For example, I work with kids, and one child, without meds is a TOTAL JERK. He is a mean, agressive kid whose parents report that he has ADHD and High functioning autism. His friends can't handle him, his behavior is awful, and it is just a behavioral disaster, and he ends up sufferinging socially and emotionally. With meds, he is a delightful creature! I mean, truly, truly, delightful. HE functions better, his friends want him around and he doesn't take things too far with them. He is kinder to others, and can focus more, but is still himself.  

There is another kiddo, and I am unsure of his condition (and it doesn't really matter), but he appears to be slightly delayed developmentally when compared to his classmates, has behavior that looks like stimming and SEEMED like he may have been on the spectrum.  His parents recently took him off of his meds because of dietary concerns, memory issues and them being worried that while he was more complacent, he wasn't present in his own life (zombie like - my words). Without meds his homework doesn't get done, his ability to listen and follow through is worse, but he is more engaged with social and educational activities. So, which is better you know? He is a smart, funny kid, who loves his family, but without meds doesn't function well in traditional classes, and is socially delayed....on top of some other stuff. But what is better? To function well as a human, or to function well in a social/school/work setting.

So, I don't think anything of parents who use behavioral medication. Different choices work differently for different kids and families. I think it is really hard to look at a kid and evaluate their medication needs.  

southernwldchld
by Gold Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:25 AM
2 moms liked this
Do I think it can be over diagnosed? Yeah. Does it have a place? Absolutely.

I was a, I will not medicate my child, person. Oh how I laugh at my old self. If I just change his diet, if I just make sure to follow the behavior plan to the letter, if I just wear him out, if I just, if I just...

I mean who *needs* sanity? It's totally cool, we're both sobbing in the corner surrounded by organic animal crackers, but it's ok. It's not biochemistry, it's my fault.

That was me.

Until this awesome woman said no, it's not your fault and sometimes all that good stuff isn't enough.

The first time my son was medicated, it was like a choir of angels sang while the clouds parted and a shaft of sunlight glittered in his freaking hair.

Granted, he still moved like Speedy Gonzales and climbed the walls. That was fine, he was A little boy. But I could talk to him, I could explain things. I could correct inappropriate behavior without cowering or enduring an eight to ten hour screaming fit.

It's one of those things, you can't fully appreciate it until you've survived it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:40 AM

My ds legitimately needs medication to function at home and in school. Before he was on any meds he shoved a kid off the slide at school and ended up breaking the kids arm. He pissed on his tv, he broke out his bedroom window, he kicked several holes in the walls, he hurt his siblings constantly, he would throw blankets and pillows over his baby sisters head and hold her down, he has left many bruises on me. I could go on but I won't. 

He has been on medication for awhile now, he still has bad days. But overall it's gotten better.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it can be fantastic, I think it can be a hard choice, and I think it can be not the right choice for the child and it varries widely based on the child in question and the families concerns for the child. 

For example, I work with kids, and one child, without meds is a TOTAL JERK. He is a mean, agressive kid whose parents report that he has ADHD and High functioning autism. His friends can't handle him, his behavior is awful, and it is just a behavioral disaster, and he ends up sufferinging socially and emotionally. With meds, he is a delightful creature! I mean, truly, truly, delightful. HE functions better, his friends want him around and he doesn't take things too far with them. He is kinder to others, and can focus more, but is still himself.  

There is another kiddo, and I am unsure of his condition (and it doesn't really matter), but he appears to be slightly delayed developmentally when compared to his classmates, has behavior that looks like stimming and SEEMED like he may have been on the spectrum.  His parents recently took him off of his meds because of dietary concerns, memory issues and them being worried that while he was more complacent, he wasn't present in his own life (zombie like - my words). Without meds his homework doesn't get done, his ability to listen and follow through is worse, but he is more engaged with social and educational activities. So, which is better you know? He is a smart, funny kid, who loves his family, but without meds doesn't function well in traditional classes, and is socially delayed....on top of some other stuff. But what is better? To function well as a human, or to function well in a social/school/work setting.

So, I don't think anything of parents who use behavioral medication. Different choices work differently for different kids and families. I think it is really hard to look at a kid and evaluate their medication needs.  

Are you a teacher? You sound like my sons teacher she has said these very things about ds.

cueballsmom
by Gold Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:45 AM
My dd needs them, I need them, everybody else, well, it's their bodies. I really don't care unless it has a direct impact on my family. If I did, I'd be talking till I'm blue in the face, to parents that are like brick walls.
coleysmama
by Gold Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:45 AM
1 mom liked this
LMAO Thats what I thought!

Hooked on Phonics worked for me! Lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Nice job sounding out LEGITIMATE
MistyMoo
by Ruby Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:46 AM
I think meds should always be a last resort, no matter what it is. For me all other option must have been tried and failed before I would put my children in med for behavior. I think some parents would rather medicate than put actual time into "training" their kids.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:47 AM

I think I will mind my own business and let parents make that personal decision for their own kids.

cueballsmom
by Gold Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:49 AM
Quoting southernwldchld:

Do I think it can be over diagnosed? Yeah. Does it have a place? Absolutely.

I was a, I will not medicate my child, person. Oh how I laugh at my old self. If I just change his diet, if I just make sure to follow the behavior plan to the letter, if I just wear him out, if I just, if I just...

I mean who *needs* sanity? It's totally cool, we're both sobbing in the corner surrounded by organic animal crackers, but it's ok. It's not biochemistry, it's my fault.

That was me.

Until this awesome woman said no, it's not your fault and sometimes all that good stuff isn't enough.

The first time my son was medicated, it was like a choir of angels sang while the clouds parted and a shaft of sunlight glittered in his freaking hair.

Granted, he still moved like Speedy Gonzales and climbed the walls. That was fine, he was A little boy. But I could talk to him, I could explain things. I could correct inappropriate behavior without cowering or enduring an eight to ten hour screaming fit.

It's one of those things, you can't fully appreciate it until you've survived it.

I only have one like this. My mother had THREE and she had unmedicated ADD herself. You wouldn't believe how many times I called her bawling and apologizing for every thing I'd ever done if she could just help me with my child!

We are all medicated, and very much better! Hugs mom!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN