Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

when parents use behavioral meds for their kids?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

what do you think about parents putting their grade school kids on behavioral medication. i personally think that too many times kids are being put on medication that aren't needed; and too many kids are being diagnosed with things they don't necessarily have. MIND YOU I DO THINK SOME KIDS NEED THEM AND HAVE LAGITAMET PROBLEMS! JUST NOT AS MANY AS PEOPLE THINK.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Replies (31-39):
ashleighmama
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:53 AM
I will tell you the same thing I tell the ADHD and med bashers: until youve lived a day in my house with my ADHD son, you have absolutely NO right to judge me. Just worry about your kids and I will deal with mine!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:55 AM
My son is 13. When he was in 2nd grade the school he was in put enormous pressure on me to have him medicated. I was open to what they were saying but wanted to exhaust every option before that step. And... they continued to be increasingly pressuring to the extent that when he did have behaviors they would put him in a small, white, completely bare conference room by himself, stating that they couldn't deal with him because he wasn't medicated as he needed to be. Fortunately I was a stay at home mom at that time and I just pulled him out of school and began to home school him. Btw... his big BEHAVIOR...was to shut down and refuse to respond or interact.

Now he is a successful student in 7th grade, his first year back to public school. He is very well behaved, even for a teenager! He has never been on any medication, ever.

That being said... i work with high behavior DD who were all, at some point, children and students. For many of them their medications are EXCEPTIONALLY NECESSARY TO THEIR SUCCESS. The illnesses that they struggle with are very real and very disabling when not treated correctly. I recognize that the population i deal with is DD but their struggles are the same that many non DD individuals face as well. Medication is necessary in certain circumstances, without a doubt.
PhoenixMomof3
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:01 AM
My mom was an ED and LD teacher for 30+ years. She says that she could tell in the first 60 seconds if a child had had their meds on schedule, and that it was 100% the difference between their success or their failure that day. For the kids who do genuinely need it... the meds make all the difference. For sure.

You have the right attitude. Worry about your child and the opinions of those who are genuinely trying to help your child be successful in life. Ignore the rest. Ignorance spews because it can and it is only an ugly distraction. You just keep taking care of that baby! :)

Quoting ashleighmama:

I will tell you the same thing I tell the ADHD and med bashers: until youve lived a day in my house with my ADHD son, you have absolutely NO right to judge me. Just worry about your kids and I will deal with mine!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:03 AM

Nope, Education related, but I am not a teacher. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it can be fantastic, I think it can be a hard choice, and I think it can be not the right choice for the child and it varries widely based on the child in question and the families concerns for the child. 

For example, I work with kids, and one child, without meds is a TOTAL JERK. He is a mean, agressive kid whose parents report that he has ADHD and High functioning autism. His friends can't handle him, his behavior is awful, and it is just a behavioral disaster, and he ends up sufferinging socially and emotionally. With meds, he is a delightful creature! I mean, truly, truly, delightful. HE functions better, his friends want him around and he doesn't take things too far with them. He is kinder to others, and can focus more, but is still himself.  

There is another kiddo, and I am unsure of his condition (and it doesn't really matter), but he appears to be slightly delayed developmentally when compared to his classmates, has behavior that looks like stimming and SEEMED like he may have been on the spectrum.  His parents recently took him off of his meds because of dietary concerns, memory issues and them being worried that while he was more complacent, he wasn't present in his own life (zombie like - my words). Without meds his homework doesn't get done, his ability to listen and follow through is worse, but he is more engaged with social and educational activities. So, which is better you know? He is a smart, funny kid, who loves his family, but without meds doesn't function well in traditional classes, and is socially delayed....on top of some other stuff. But what is better? To function well as a human, or to function well in a social/school/work setting.

So, I don't think anything of parents who use behavioral medication. Different choices work differently for different kids and families. I think it is really hard to look at a kid and evaluate their medication needs.  

Are you a teacher? You sound like my sons teacher she has said these very things about ds.

Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:03 AM

I agree that the medicines are over prescribed. However, when your child really needs it, as mine does, the medicine is a God send.

CafeMom Tickers
PhoenixMomof3
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:07 AM
Awww! Poor guy! He IS a normal kid! And just like EVERY NORMAL KID he has to face challenges! Just because his challenge is easier for him to spot doesn't mean that makes him LESS NORMAL. He is no different than the rest of us... just dealing with the hand he was dealt! Thats all! :)

Quoting Anonymous:

I think first I have a headache trying to read that. And second, I am not here to judge what someone else goes through. Sure, Things are grossly overdiagnosed. And sadly, that puts a negative look on those who truly have problems and need the helpl. Spend a day in my house....you will see how my 10 year old is and how much he wishes he were a "normal kid" as he says.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ashleighmama
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:32 AM
Thank you, I couldnt really tell if you were a basher or not lol. My son is now 13 and only needs his meds for school so he can focus, but when he was little, holy cow, he was a monster and needed them mostly for behavior. I would LOVE if my son DIDNT need meds, but everyone knows he needs them, even him.

Quoting PhoenixMomof3:

My mom was an ED and LD teacher for 30+ years. She says that she could tell in the first 60 seconds if a child had had their meds on schedule, and that it was 100% the difference between their success or their failure that day. For the kids who do genuinely need it... the meds make all the difference. For sure.

You have the right attitude. Worry about your child and the opinions of those who are genuinely trying to help your child be successful in life. Ignore the rest. Ignorance spews because it can and it is only an ugly distraction. You just keep taking care of that baby! :)

Quoting ashleighmama:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 12, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Thanks :) We tell him that all the time, but obviously he is old enough to know something is different with him over most of the kids his age. He's better than he was a few years ago, but it will always be a struggle for all of us, especially him. Just gotta keep him thinking positive.

Quoting PhoenixMomof3:

Awww! Poor guy! He IS a normal kid! And just like EVERY NORMAL KID he has to face challenges! Just because his challenge is easier for him to spot doesn't mean that makes him LESS NORMAL. He is no different than the rest of us... just dealing with the hand he was dealt! Thats all! :)

Quoting Anonymous:

I think first I have a headache trying to read that. And second, I am not here to judge what someone else goes through. Sure, Things are grossly overdiagnosed. And sadly, that puts a negative look on those who truly have problems and need the helpl. Spend a day in my house....you will see how my 10 year old is and how much he wishes he were a "normal kid" as he says.

CuriousArentYa
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 11:17 AM

My oldest son (he has autism) is on Intuniv and Strattera, they help him keep him emotions in check and help him to think more clearly, which in turn helps him to pay attention in school, he retains the information better and actually learns and his relationship with family and friends it better. You can tell within 12 hours if my son has not taken his meds for the day. 

He was not put on the meds until two years ago (he was 10). We wanted him to have time to learn the basics and also to be old enough to be able to tell us if the meds made him sick, felt icky or whatever. We got lucky in that we his neurologists got the right meds and pretty much the right dose correct from the very beginning. 

My younger son who has autism will probably never be on meds. My oldest son is high functioning, my younger son is high functioning but his characteristics are different from my oldest and we just don't think that meds would help him. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN