Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Healthy snacks for a one year old...please help!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 46 Replies
My one year old is a really picky eater. He'll usually only eat cheese, fruit, and crackers, and pasta with tomato sauce (sometimes I can hide meat in it). But all he really wants to eat is crackers and puffs, etc.
he likes to go into the pantry and pick out what he wants (I keep his snacks on the bottom shelf). What are some healthier snacks I could keep down there besides crackers to give him some more nutritious options. Keep in mind he's only 14 months old, but he can hold and eat something like 1/2 a banana and not choke or anything.
Before anyone bashes, the crackers he eats are things like no-salt saltines, graham crackers, and rice rusks. I know these aren't the best things for him to be snacking on all the time...that's why I'm asking for suggestions. He never eats cookies or anything like that, and he's never had juice.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mami2my3rugratz
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:17 AM
Apples and caramel is one. Peanut butter on celery with raisins. Can't think of anything else right now but my kids pediatrician said let them eat what they want and when giving them juice to dilute it with water.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fallenstars
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:19 AM
I would do apples peanut butter something like that
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CreziaMommyTo2
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:19 AM

my kids eat what they want in moderation...

it consists of fruits, vegitable, and OMG cookies, saltines, fruit snacks, and chocolate.

and here is the kicker, they drink Juice..

someone call CPS on me,

they are both average in weight and size, my DS is on the skinnier side, because he is more pickier than DD.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:20 AM
He can't have peanut butter...he's only 1. And I'm thinking things he can get for himself.
lifeisajoy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:21 AM

fruit jello

GirlWithANikon
by Platinum Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:21 AM

fruits and veggies. idk if you have nut allergies but my kid liked nuts and seeds. Im not big on littlens having grains but people give chereos and stuff. Crackers or toast, cheese, yogurt, pretty much anything. You can give them raw (be reasonable) healthy foods as snacks. This is when you form their healthy diet. Don't miss the time line or your gonna rip your hair out later.

CreziaMommyTo2
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:22 AM

why cant he have peanut butter?  the longer you delay peanut butter the better chance he has to developing an allergy.

Quoting Anonymous:

He can't have peanut butter...he's only 1. And I'm thinking things he can get for himself.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:22 AM
I'm not trying to bash anyone who chooses to feed their kids differently than I do. I was just trying to keep people from flipping out on me for giving my kid something that's not an organic wheat germ sugar free preservative free Melba toast...

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

my kids eat what they want in moderation...

it consists of fruits, vegitable, and OMG cookies, saltines, fruit snacks, and chocolate.

and here is the kicker, they drink Juice..

someone call CPS on me,

they are both average in weight and size, my DS is on the skinnier side, because he is more pickier than DD.

Siare
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:23 AM

Avocado's are like super foods. Try that. 

Why can't he have peanut butter? It's recommended to hold off on peanut butter until 1, but after one it's free for all. It's actually proven if you withhold food TOO long your child will become more prone to develop food allergies.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:23 AM
Because my husband is allergic to peanut butter and both DH's doctor and our pediatrician suggested we wait because of that.

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

why cant he have peanut butter?  the longer you delay peanut butter the better chance he has to developing an allergy.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)