Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is this illegal ?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Hello Ladies,

So I have an question my boyfriend and i broke up recently. I had put money in . an account earlier in our relationship. So during our break up i had asked him for my money back and he had refused to give it back. So acouple months ago he payed my phone bill with his bank account and he left that information on my account. So I decided to pay my phone bill again since he refused to return my money. So now he is mad and said i am going to be arrested for identity theft. My question to you is that is true did i do anything illegal by doing this ????

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Replies (21-30):
heresjohnny
by Emerald Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I've seen enough Judge Judy to know he can sue you, and win. When someone owes you money, you don't take it into your own hands and take the money. They have to give it to you. If they refuse, you take them to court.

haydsmom2007
by Gold Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:52 PM

yes.... stealing is illegal... that was not your money to use... 

You shouldn't have putting your money in his bank account earlier... you basically just gave it to him. He doesn't have to give it back if he doesn't want to. It would be nice if he did, but he doesn't have to.

Ms.Pink.
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Yup, it's illegal. You didn't have his consent to use his account to pay that bill.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jteffs
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:53 PM

That doesn't matter. ANyone can be on an account together.

Do you have a chex systems record and THATS why you can't get an account?

Quoting Anonymous:

They wouldn't allow me to put my name on the account because we aren't married and we didn't live together

Quoting teaspring:

I take it the account was not a joint account with both of your names attached?

mommytoeandb
by Platinum Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Yes, it is illegal. If you wanted the money back, you could have tried small claims court.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
model1000mom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Yes it is illegal that you used his account to pay your bill but I suggest you change your phone account info and password also change the paswords and info to all other accounts you have and move on. The money you put in his account is a lesson learned and you will never see it again and him not returning it to you is a dick move but not illegal. Good luck. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:54 PM

So what is it i can do to fix this

jteffs
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Leave him alone and move on? Give him the money back?

Quoting Anonymous:

haydsmom2007
by Gold Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Quoting heresjohnny:

I've seen enough Judge Judy to know he can sue you, and win. When someone owes you money, you don't take it into your own hands and take the money. They have to give it to you. If they refuse, you take them to court.

except he doesn't owe her anything. she gave the money to him by putting it in his bank account.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:56 PM
Pay him back for the charge. That way if he takes you to court, you'll look somewhat better.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)