Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is this illegal ?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Hello Ladies,

So I have an question my boyfriend and i broke up recently. I had put money in . an account earlier in our relationship. So during our break up i had asked him for my money back and he had refused to give it back. So acouple months ago he payed my phone bill with his bank account and he left that information on my account. So I decided to pay my phone bill again since he refused to return my money. So now he is mad and said i am going to be arrested for identity theft. My question to you is that is true did i do anything illegal by doing this ????

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Replies (31-40):
Ms.Pink.
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:57 PM
Repay the charge to him and just pray he doesn't press charges. That's all you can do.

Quoting Anonymous:

So what is it i can do to fix this

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:58 PM

The big question is why would you put money in his account early in a relationship and not be able to access it on your own.

heresjohnny
by Emerald Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Putting money into his account doesn't mean she GAVE it to him. She might have a hard time proving it in court, but if she can prove it wasn't a gift, she can get it back. The key word is *court.* She should have filed a claim and had a judge sort it out.

Quoting haydsmom2007: except he doesn't owe her anything. she gave the money to him by putting it in his bank account.

hnischke
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:00 PM
That shouldn't matter. As long as he's there saying he wants you on the account they should have done that. What you did now will get you in a lot of trouble.

Quoting Anonymous:

They wouldn't allow me to put my name on the account because we aren't married and we didn't live together

Quoting teaspring:

I take it the account was not a joint account with both of your names attached?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Duh, illegal as hell!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:06 PM
IMO, that would be a big waste of time. A judge is going to ask why she put the money in there. Was it to pay for bills, and those bills have been paid with it? Was it for leisure and dates, and the money was used for that? Was it bc he was short on funds and she gave it to him to help? If she put that money in their for ANYTHING related to the relationship and it was used on/for the relationship.....she has no leg to stand on. It doesn't matter when she gave him the money, she used his account AFTER they were split and she no longer had his consent to use his account in any way. That is illegal. Him keeping the money she willing placed in his account is not illegal for him.

Quoting heresjohnny:

Putting money into his account doesn't mean she GAVE it to him. She might have a hard time proving it in court, but if she can prove it wasn't a gift, she can get it back. The key word is *court.* She should have filed a claim and had a judge sort it out.

Quoting haydsmom2007: except he doesn't owe her anything. she gave the money to him by putting it in his bank account.

teaspring
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Then yes, what you did is not legal.  He can press charges on you.  What you should have done was file a suit against him in small claims court.  Not sure what to tell you now, other than repay him the money, the exact amount, that you took out of his account.  Pay it in the form of a check, money order, or cashier's check so you have tangible proof...  Next, go to the magistrate's office and file the small claims suit on him for the amount that you feel he owes you from before.

Quoting Anonymous:

They wouldn't allow me to put my name on the account because we aren't married and we didn't live together

Quoting teaspring:

I take it the account was not a joint account with both of your names attached?

gypsy30
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I don't know about identity theft, but yes, that's illegal.  Even though your money is in his account, if your name isn't on the account too, it's legally his now and you don't have the authority to touch it.  My minor son has a bank account with my husband's name on it.  I went to make a withdrawal awhile back because he owed us money for something we'd bought on Amazon and I, his mother, couldn't do it.  My husband had to.

CreziaMommyTo2
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 2:42 PM

i totally agree with this... send him a CHECK for the amount you took out, and in the memo line, write for repayment for phone bill paid on such and such date

Quoting Anonymous:

Pay him back for the charge. That way if he takes you to court, you'll look somewhat better.

Quoting Anonymous:

So what is it i can do to fix this

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Jan. 12, 2013 at 2:46 PM
If you can prove how much money you put in his account and that he refused to give it back, I say not really because that could've been your money you used. Just make sure you can prove he stole money from you. But otherwise yes, you stole money from him. Better get your ducks in a row before the police show up at your door.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)