Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Need CRAZY Mil advice **UPDATE!!!!!

Posted by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:06 PM
  • 41 Replies

Ok so the backstory is kind of long: MIL has tried to break up DH & I from the start, she used to spread rumors, talk trash, lie, etc. At our wedding she wore tattered clothes and didnt speak to me until she absolutely had to & then only threatened to make my life hell. 2 weeks later I got prego (we were hormone therapy due to infertility) & she tried to tell the family I was prego before we got married & that's why he HAD to marry me cuz I trapped him. Then, when that all fell through she resorted to acting like I wasnt pregnant. She ignored anything to do with it until I walked up to her at 6 mos prego & shoved an ultrasound pic in her face and even then I just got a smart ass remark. The trippy part was when DD was born MIL went into crazy mode with being grandma, she acted like DD was HER child more than mine. This led to more fights cuz DD is lactose intolerant and MIL gave her ice cream at 3 months old & Mac n Cheese at 6 months old. DH & I were going to go to vegas for a weekend & had never lefr DD alone for more than an couple hours so we decided to have my sister stay with DD at our home where my sister was living so it was easier on DD. MIL threatened me & my sister, called us names & told DH she was taking us to court for custody of DD for not letting her stay with her for that weekend.
Then comes the kicker.... we had easter weekend coming, the day before we got into an argument with MIL cuz she made her fb page & put her profile pic as her & DD and I very politely asked her to change it cuz I dont like DD's pic being public. She cussed me out which is HIGHLY unusual for her..... to make a long story short we ended up going by her house on Easter, DH & MIL began arguing & DH said lets leave, as I was taking the diaper bag to the car MIL grabbed DD out of my BIL's arms and ran for the house. She locked herself in the back room with DD and I was livid. SFIL came (when I was trying to get into the back) and shoved me and almost knocked me over the food table, he & I got physical & DH (who was being "talked to" by his uncles) heard the yelling & got in to see his cousin had broken up the fight, so DH got DD out of back room & we left. MIL has done more thing since in attempts to get ahold of DD & claimed that she was going to take DD, get custody of DD and other such things.

Now that we're up to date on the majority of the backstory...... MIL was texting DH last night telling him she wants to work things out and get "her son and his family" back. DH & I 100% agree that the past 3 years of not talking to her or any of his family has been ridiculously too long and we are sick of it, BUT I'm seriously apprehensive.... how do I approach this without overstepping my position of DIL/wife but making sure as mom that this s*** never gets CLOSE to happening again?

(sorry so long!!!)

*****EDIT

Ok, so the most frequent thing I'm hearing is to let DH have a relationship with his mom & DD & I stay away.... that WOULD be a good idea if MIL wasnt such a great manipulator. Granted, DH has seen the light on 90% of the ways of his mom, but at the same time he's still her son & has always been a mama's boy. So I honestly wouldnt trust him alone with MIL. I've already stated that any discussions will be done with me present and I will have much right to speek up as he does. And also right now there is nothing being brought back into a relationship and the way it was before. All that has been agreed on between DH & I is that we agree to have a sit down with MIL & us with DD FAR FAR away from the place and see what happens. It's not like we are looking for a happy reunion or going to be bringing DD around her anytime soon.

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok so MIL has texted back DH asking to take him to lunch with the grandmother, herself & him. As soon as he told me that I was already irritated cuz that means that she has no intention of including me in anything and just wants "her son & her grandbaby" back.... but blessed be my hubby who informed his mother that there was NOT going to be a going out to lunch, if she wanted to talk it was going tobe at a nuetral house with me & SFIL all involved. I was really happy to hear that he stood up to her and put his foot down. I havent heard back from him in a while so I'm gathering that she hasnt responded back yet. It kind of irritates me that a conversation that should take less than an hour is dragging on for days. How hard is it to agree to talk things out? But his mother is being difficult as always. Hopefully, things continue well with DH & I on the same page.

by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:11 PM
6 moms liked this

Personally, after what she's done I would cut her loose and say no you can not be apart of my life or my dd's life.  What your DH does is up to him but be clear with him that you and dd are not to be around that women.  JMO

wrensong
by Pagan Mother on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I have an equally crazy MIL and we cut her our of our lives about 3 years ago. It was the besr decision we have ever made.

But if your Dh wants to try again with his family, take things slowly, and meet in public for the first few times and never  EVER leave her alone with your DD

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I think your mother in law is fucking crazy.  You have every right to talk to your husband about her and deal with this.  I wouldn't let her near my kid or me.  For your safety and sanity get her out of your life.  If hubby doesn't agree then he needs to go too.

cmabbott
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:16 PM

I wouldn't allow it period.  She sounds like my crazy ass MIL.  Stick to your guns.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:17 PM
I would try again but slowly. Also if something like that happens again I would call the police instead of trying to fix it yourself.
model1000mom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:18 PM
2 moms liked this

After the MIL's incidents I would personally tel DH  that he is welcome to have a relationship with his mom but you and your DD will not. Protect yourself and your child at all costs. DH will have to understand how you feel after all of her crazy shit and at least allow you that right to feel comfortable and safe.

scarletmeshell
by Platinum Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I remember you posts about this crazy woman in the past. If your dh feels he needs to reconnect you both need to set so ground rules and only meet in a public place. Good luck mama!

mrsrodgers0703
by Ruby Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:30 PM
1 mom liked this
She would never see my child again.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Ninjascreenname
by Gold Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:39 PM
Why would you want her around your child? She's threatened to take your child away from you. Why would you want a relationship with someone like that?!?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
aimlee
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:42 PM

personally I would tell DH if he wants a relationship with her thats fine, but you and your daughter will not. She doesnt sound stable to have your child going around her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)