Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

bad parenting or brilliant! ? you decide EDIT***e

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
ok so my one year old loves the cabinet with the pots and pans. im afraid.she will.drop one on her foot tho. its a cabinet that i cant seem to.find a lock that will work for.it tho. ok so someone bought her this fisher price dinosaur toy that she is deathly afraid of. so me and SO stuck it in that cabinet.

she just opened it and freaked ... but refuses to go near it.now.

so brilliant or bad parenting?

edit**
ok survey says: BRILLIANT!!!
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:25 PM
Replies (31-40):
nicndetsmom
by Gold Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:33 PM
Lmaoooo!!! Greatest idea ever!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Brilliant.  You tried doing the right thing by getting a lock for it but one is not available in the size you need. So you improvised and came up with the only possible solution that prevented your DD from getting physically hurt, other than strapping her in a high chair or something. Which will only work for so long anyways.

Hyman
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:34 PM
Put the pans up high???

I get rid of toys my son is afraid of.

I wouldn't call you a bad parent ... I just don't agree with how you're handling this

Kids get in pots and pans. Even if she does drop it on her foot shell cry and probably not do it again. My son is 1 and plays with pots and pans daily
CeeGee81
by CanadaGirl on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Brilliant....but poor kid  lol

got2monsters
by Ruby Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:34 PM
brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i love that idea!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
one_on_the_way
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:35 PM

It may have been better to move the pots and pans rather than intentially scare her.  Put things like tupperware there instead --- something she CAN play with without getting hurt.  Or, let her play with the pots and pans -- what's wrong with that?  If one falls on her foot, she'll learn to be more careful.  

While what you did 'worked' to keep her away from the cabinet, you were using her emotions against her which isn't something people generally advise doing.  Are you going to scare her every time she gets into something you want her to stay away from?  I wouldn't go so far as to say it was 'bad parenting', but I think there were other options you could have chosen that didn't involve scaring her on purpose. 

Sj218
by Gold Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:36 PM
Awesome parenting. No real harm done and I'm sure it was hilarious.
ilana_ny
by Gold Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:36 PM

laughing

ReniaEats
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:37 PM

I think it's brilliant. We need to stop trying so hard to be perfect. If this works and makes your life easier so what, in the long run, she will not remember it and you are not scaring her for life. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:37 PM
I think I just peed a little.

Quoting Anonymous:

Lmao my 19mo is terrified of the vacuum. We just started putting him in a big boy bed and he kept getting up and coming out so we put the vacuum by his door... He opened it,screamed and jumped in his bed and went to sleep lol. I felt bad but hey it worked
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)