Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

bad parenting or brilliant! ? you decide EDIT***e

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
ok so my one year old loves the cabinet with the pots and pans. im afraid.she will.drop one on her foot tho. its a cabinet that i cant seem to.find a lock that will work for.it tho. ok so someone bought her this fisher price dinosaur toy that she is deathly afraid of. so me and SO stuck it in that cabinet.

she just opened it and freaked ... but refuses to go near it.now.

so brilliant or bad parenting?

edit**
ok survey says: BRILLIANT!!!
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:25 PM
Replies (41-50):
twinmommy27
by Ruby Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:37 PM
Good idea.

I let my kids play (when younger)with certain pots and Tupperware though. Lol, I gave them a little plastic spoon and they had great fun!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
happykitty316
by Platinum Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:39 PM

brilliant

Lovemybabyboy09
by Ruby Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:39 PM
Brilliant! We had a whoopie cushion my ds used to be afraid of so we put it on the stairs. He wouldn't go up them. For a month I didn't have to worry about him getting upstairs
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:41 PM
I've done it! lol. My daughter hated a turtle stuffed animal so we used it to keep her out of the hall way. lol she's 7 now and not emotionally scarred in anyway. :)
one_on_the_way
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Brilliant.  You tried doing the right thing by getting a lock for it but one is not available in the size you need. So you improvised and came up with the only possible solution that prevented your DD from getting physically hurt, other than strapping her in a high chair or something. Which will only work for so long anyways.

The 'only possible solution' was to intentially scare her child?  There was nothing else she could have done other than put a scary dinosaur in the cabinet so her daughter freaked out and won't go near it again?  I wonder how parents deal with it when their child doesn't have a toy they are "deathly afraid of".  I guess there is no possible solution for those parents.

prettyface1
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:42 PM
Brilliant , there is no such thing as bad parenting. My boys love to bang on my pots and pans. They sat there for hours banging.
haydsmom2007
by Gold Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:43 PM

brilliant

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Apparently it was the only possible solution for THEM since they didn't choose keeping a closer eye on their DD to make sure she doesn't go into kitchen, where pots and pans are not the only thing they should be worrying about.

Quoting one_on_the_way:

Quoting Anonymous:

Brilliant.  You tried doing the right thing by getting a lock for it but one is not available in the size you need. So you improvised and came up with the only possible solution that prevented your DD from getting physically hurt, other than strapping her in a high chair or something. Which will only work for so long anyways.

The 'only possible solution' was to intentially scare her child?  There was nothing else she could have done other than put a scary dinosaur in the cabinet so her daughter freaked out and won't go near it again?  I wonder how parents deal with it when their child doesn't have a toy they are "deathly afraid of".  I guess there is no possible solution for those parents.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:43 PM
What if there are no other options of places to keep pots and pans except where baby can reach them?

Furthermore, "using emotions against her"? That's a tactic used daily by everyone and every company everywhere to get people to buy do, act, etc as they wish.

Quoting one_on_the_way:

It may have been better to move the pots and pans rather than intentially scare her.  Put things like tupperware there instead --- something she CAN play with without getting hurt.  Or, let her play with the pots and pans -- what's wrong with that?  If one falls on her foot, she'll learn to be more careful.  

While what you did 'worked' to keep her away from the cabinet, you were using her emotions against her which isn't something people generally advise doing.  Are you going to scare her every time she gets into something you want her to stay away from?  I wouldn't go so far as to say it was 'bad parenting', but I think there were other options you could have chosen that didn't involve scaring her on purpose. 

LaughingCheetah
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:45 PM
Haha epic idea! (I am going to hell now huh?)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN