Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I just spanked my 2 year old.. and I don't care if you like it or not!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
He bangs his head into anyone if he doesn't get his way.. Well He split my lip wide open. I sat him on the Floor to finish throwing his fit. And get a cold wet washcloth for my lips. Well as I came out of the bathroom I saw my fit thrower reach over and for no reason bite my other sons ankle and through the sick I saw blood flowing.

That was the straw that broke this momma's back. I grabbed him and put him over my knee and spanked his bare ass!
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 12, 2013 at 3:56 PM
Replies (121-130):
CCMami
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 8:28 PM

You'd be surprised at how many people believe that though.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Never said it is right.  It most definitely is age appropriate behavior.  LOL age appropriate doesn't mean it is acceptable behavior.  ROTL

Quoting CCMami:

A lot of kids do it but it doesnt make it right.  Its not age appropriate behavior.  Kids do it not but not appropriate.  

Quoting fullxbusymom:

I have dealt w/ toddlers for 20yrs.  It is very normal for a child to bite or get extremly frustrated when they don't get there way.  It is 100% normal and age appropriate behavior.

Quoting BlessedBeX3:

I didn't say it's 100 percent disability, it's a chance tho. I've never heard of a child being so violent and not havin some issue, or like I said he's seeing this violence elsewhere. And yeah I have three toddlers so I know tantrums are normal but ie never seen a toddler without some problem acting out sO violently and shouldn't be treated as a "normal" situation

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Yes because 2yr olds don't throw tantrums and it isn't completely 100% normal, so there must be a mental disability. *smh*

Quoting BlessedBeX3:

I think u may need to check it if he has any mental disabilities that causes him to be so violent from anger. Unless this behavior is being displayed around him.

Sami - Mami of 2 Girlies; wife to great man...

twin girlsninjabriefcase

z0mbiepenguin
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 8:28 PM
Good. Kids need spanked more often
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
truealaskanmom
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 8:28 PM

No I am saying that children were raised in a manner where trust was a foundation in their relationship with their parents so they were not inately disrespectful 

Quoting Anonymous:

So let me get this straight lady. Back in the day when a child acted out and needed to be disciplined mama said "Come get on the tit and sleep by me" hmmm no that is not how children were corrected.

My point is a lot of parents fail to teach their kids there are consequences to their actions. Therefore, we have self entitled kids cusding their parents out and having no respect for their elders because their parents are a bunch of pansies that are too scared to lay a smack down or two. Proper discipline paired with love make good kids. I got my ass whooped when I deserved it. It didn't kill me. It taught me that im a child and when I mess up there are consequences

Quoting truealaskanmom:

you mean back in the day where breastfeeding, co-sleeping, and loving your kid and letting them be a kid?? I think that was what worked not the switches

Quoting Anonymous:

Back in the day when the number one punishment was "go pick your switch" you didn't have kids disrespecting their parents or shooting up schools. Spanking does work its parents like you that "don't work"

Quoting SweetandSassy12:

SPANKING DOSNT WORK ..and when he starts hitting back dont be suprised...

Oddy_Knocky
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 8:29 PM

or type !!!111one at the end which is what I did. It's internet sarcasm that needs not be explained. 

I'm not a spanker. I think it sucks. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Then next time post a "sarcastic sweet pea" or put (sarcasm) in the reply. It is very hard to decipher what is or isn't sarcasm in this crazy group....kwim    wink

Quoting Oddy_Knocky:

You couldn't tell I was clearly being sarcastic?

Quoting Anonymous:

I know how some of you like to see links and research, so here you go.

Spanking Kids Can Lead to More Aggressive Behavior

Cathy Taylor

"There are ways to discipline children effectively that do
not involve hitting them and that can actually lower their
risk for being more aggressive," says Catherine Taylor,
assistant professor of community health sciences.
(Photo by Paula Burch-Celentano)

Children who are spanked frequently at age 3 are more likely to be aggressive when they're 5, even when you account for possible confounding factors, according to a new study co-authored by Catherine Taylor, assistant professor of community health sciences at Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine.

The study, "Mothers' Spanking of 3-Year-Old Children and Subsequent Risk of Children's Aggressive Behavior," will appear in the May issue of Pediatrics. 

"Toddlers that are spanked more frequently at age 3 are at increased risk for being more aggressive at age 5," said Taylor, assistant professor of Community Health Sciences at Tulane and lead author of the study. "We found this to be true even after taking into account other factors that might have explained this association such as the parents' level of stress, depression, use of drugs or alcohol, and the presence of other aggression within the family."

Study authors asked nearly 2,500 mothers how often they spanked their 3-year-old child in the past month, as well as questions about their child's level of aggression, demographic features and eight identified maternal parenting risk factors. Almost half (45.6 percent) of the mothers reported no spanking in the previous month, while 27.9 percent reported spanking one or two times, and 26.5 percent reported spanking more than twice. Mothers with more parenting risk factors were more likely to spank frequently. However, even accounting for these potential confounding factors, frequent spanking at age 3 increased the odds of higher levels of aggression at age 5. Signs of aggression included behaviors such as arguing or screaming; cruelty, bullying or meanness to others; destroys things; fighting and frequently threatening others.

Despite recommendations from the American Academy of Pediatrics against spanking, most parents in the United States approve of and have used corporal punishment as a form of child discipline. The study suggests that even minor forms of corporal punishment increase the risk for child aggressive behavior.

"There are ways to discipline children effectively that do not involve hitting them and that can actually lower their risk for being more aggressive," Taylor said.  "So the good news is, parents don't have to rely on spanking to get the results that they want.  If they avoid spanking but instead use effective, non-physical types of discipline, their child has a better chance of being healthier, and behaving better later."

The study, which is available online at http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/, is co-authored by Jennifer A. Manganello, assistant professor in the Department of Health Policy, Management and Behavior at the University at Albany, SUNY, School of Public Health; Shawna J. Lee, assistant professor at the School of Social Work at Wayne State University and Janet. C. Rice, associate professor of biostatistics at Tulane.

Keith Brannon
kbrannon@tulane.edu  

spacer
Quoting Oddy_Knocky:

Correcting violence with violence = win!!111one

Photobucket

gcstar42
by Gold Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 8:30 PM

I am for spanking in serious situations like that. He hurt two people. He needed something done to get his attention and make him realize it was wrong. The main thing for the parent giving the spanking (I think) is to take a deep breath and make sure you are not doing it out of anger, but really just doing it for discipline.

truealaskanmom
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 8:30 PM

No drawing blood is not a normal beahvior in that age range, playfully biting and hitting etc is a normal 2 year old behavior but aggressive biting and hitting etc is not developmentally appropriate and can be a sign of autism in a child that age. 

Quoting BlessedBeX3:

Drawing blood? Is that normal bc that just seems horrible to me.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

I have dealt w/ toddlers for 20yrs.  It is very normal for a child to bite or get extremly frustrated when they don't get there way.  It is 100% normal and age appropriate behavior.

Quoting BlessedBeX3:

I didn't say it's 100 percent disability, it's a chance tho. I've never heard of a child being so violent and not havin some issue, or like I said he's seeing this violence elsewhere. And yeah I have three toddlers so I know tantrums are normal but ie never seen a toddler without some problem acting out sO violently and shouldn't be treated as a "normal" situation

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Yes because 2yr olds don't throw tantrums and it isn't completely 100% normal, so there must be a mental disability. *smh*

Quoting BlessedBeX3:

I think u may need to check it if he has any mental disabilities that causes him to be so violent from anger. Unless this behavior is being displayed around him.

kandi2100
by Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 8:33 PM

i used to say before i had kids that i will never spank hahahahha yeah well that def has changed not that my kids get spankings much at all but they really should because my youngest daughter is just sooo bad!!!!! but i do the time out for my oldest the corner works and grounding she really really hates the corner.

fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 8:35 PM

I am not digging everything out right now. Nursing my 10mo old. Will later!!

Quoting truealaskanmom:

no it isn't please cite your sources 

Quoting fullxbusymom:

As do I and it most definitely is.

Quoting truealaskanmom:

I have a degree in early childhood education and it is not normal for a child to act that way, you are incorrect 

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting BlessedBeX3:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting BlessedBeX3:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 12, 2013 at 8:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Sorry...Not familiar with the !!!111 to indicate Sarcasm on the internet.

I'm not a spanker/hitter/beater....and that is exactly what it is in my opinion.

Quoting Oddy_Knocky:

or type !!!111one at the end which is what I did. It's internet sarcasm that needs not be explained. 

I'm not a spanker. I think it sucks. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Then next time post a "sarcastic sweet pea" or put (sarcasm) in the reply. It is very hard to decipher what is or isn't sarcasm in this crazy group....kwim    wink

Quoting Oddy_Knocky:

You couldn't tell I was clearly being sarcastic?

Quoting Anonymous:

I know how some of you like to see links and research, so here you go.

Spanking Kids Can Lead to More Aggressive Behavior

Cathy Taylor

"There are ways to discipline children effectively that do
not involve hitting them and that can actually lower their
risk for being more aggressive," says Catherine Taylor,
assistant professor of community health sciences.
(Photo by Paula Burch-Celentano)

Children who are spanked frequently at age 3 are more likely to be aggressive when they're 5, even when you account for possible confounding factors, according to a new study co-authored by Catherine Taylor, assistant professor of community health sciences at Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine.

The study, "Mothers' Spanking of 3-Year-Old Children and Subsequent Risk of Children's Aggressive Behavior," will appear in the May issue of Pediatrics. 

"Toddlers that are spanked more frequently at age 3 are at increased risk for being more aggressive at age 5," said Taylor, assistant professor of Community Health Sciences at Tulane and lead author of the study. "We found this to be true even after taking into account other factors that might have explained this association such as the parents' level of stress, depression, use of drugs or alcohol, and the presence of other aggression within the family."

Study authors asked nearly 2,500 mothers how often they spanked their 3-year-old child in the past month, as well as questions about their child's level of aggression, demographic features and eight identified maternal parenting risk factors. Almost half (45.6 percent) of the mothers reported no spanking in the previous month, while 27.9 percent reported spanking one or two times, and 26.5 percent reported spanking more than twice. Mothers with more parenting risk factors were more likely to spank frequently. However, even accounting for these potential confounding factors, frequent spanking at age 3 increased the odds of higher levels of aggression at age 5. Signs of aggression included behaviors such as arguing or screaming; cruelty, bullying or meanness to others; destroys things; fighting and frequently threatening others.

Despite recommendations from the American Academy of Pediatrics against spanking, most parents in the United States approve of and have used corporal punishment as a form of child discipline. The study suggests that even minor forms of corporal punishment increase the risk for child aggressive behavior.

"There are ways to discipline children effectively that do not involve hitting them and that can actually lower their risk for being more aggressive," Taylor said.  "So the good news is, parents don't have to rely on spanking to get the results that they want.  If they avoid spanking but instead use effective, non-physical types of discipline, their child has a better chance of being healthier, and behaving better later."

The study, which is available online at http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/, is co-authored by Jennifer A. Manganello, assistant professor in the Department of Health Policy, Management and Behavior at the University at Albany, SUNY, School of Public Health; Shawna J. Lee, assistant professor at the School of Social Work at Wayne State University and Janet. C. Rice, associate professor of biostatistics at Tulane.

Keith Brannon
kbrannon@tulane.edu  

spacer
Quoting Oddy_Knocky:

Correcting violence with violence = win!!111one

CheesyKitty
by Cm Addict on Jan. 12, 2013 at 8:36 PM
I would have in that situation too. If you hurt others on purpose, a time out with an apoligy is not enough to learn.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)