Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you make your older children watch your little ones?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 65 Replies

Who do you think you are snatching their childhood away like that? If you couldn't afford to hire a babysitter to watch your kids, you shouldn't have had them. Those kids are YOUR responsibiity, not the older kids. It's not fair that John can't go play Basketball because you have to be at work at 5pm. Find a babysitter that you can pay and let John have his childhood! That is all I have to say!

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 12, 2013 at 5:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bcoll
by Brandi on Jan. 12, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Feel better mama?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 12, 2013 at 5:33 PM

I let John have his childhood.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 12, 2013 at 5:35 PM
3 moms liked this
In both mine and dh's families we watched our siblings, it was part of being a family. We watch out for one another, would rather have a sibling doing it than some NUTSO .
daughteroftruth
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 5:36 PM

I think that family should pull together and work together, if that means one of the older kids pitches in and helps, then that's what it means. 

Now my oldest is only 8 almost nine.. so obviously he won't be watching anyone for several more years. But when he is old enough, I see nothing wrong with expecting him to help out with the family and watch his siblings here and there.. on a regular daily basis.. no, dont' think so.. make them miss extracurricular activities or something pre arranged?  NO. .unless it was an emergency an no other option was a available. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 12, 2013 at 5:36 PM
My kids are 6 and 2. When DD is 11 after school care is DONE. She will help and stay with her brother after school until I get home at 430. That's years away, but shit. I will NOT pay for after care forever. Lol
coleysmama
by Gold Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 5:36 PM
1 mom liked this
John is crying right now because of it...lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Cochise
by Dawn on Jan. 12, 2013 at 5:37 PM

I was the oldest child in my family and I had to babysit one of my younger sisters and younger brother from time to time... I didn't like it but it didn't kill me either.  It taught me responsibility ....  and it wasn't for a long amount of time... maybe an hour or so once a week.

ebbierowe
by Gold Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 5:37 PM
My 15 year old has watched her younger siblings but I have never made her cancel plans to do it
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lucsch
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 5:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, we did. I think a certain amount of responsibility is good for a teen.My sons never complained about it either. They had plenty of time to do fun things at other times.

When I was a teen, it was my job to cook supper for the whole family every evening. Did I like it all the time? No. Later on, I actually went grocery shopping by myself, too.

You can't have it both ways. Most moms on here expect their teen will have sex. Well, that means you are grown up and ready for responsibility, right? You may even have a baby of your own, if you are a teen having sex. So, what's the problem with having some other more healthy and upright responsibilities?

Also be GLAD that your parent has a job. In these days and times, that is not a given. Show a little gratitude and maturity.

AngelRT
by Gold Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 5:38 PM
2 moms liked this

John is learning responsibility and its not going to kill him! lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN