Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A preemptive PSA for the upcoming onslaught of tax posts: if you are married, neither you nor your spouse can file HOH. Being a SAHM with no income does not change this. Married people can't file HOH. It's illegal. K?

Edit: here you go, directly from IRS publication 501, which explains the filing categories. Note that you must meet ALL three requirements.

"Head of Household

You may be able to file as head of household if you meet all the following requirements.

You are unmarried or “considered unmarried” on the last day of the year.

You paid more than half the cost of keeping up a home for the year.

A “qualifying person” lived with you in the home for more than half the year (except for temporary absences, such as school). However, if the “qualifying person” is your dependent parent, he or she does not have to live with you. See Special rule for parent , later, under Qualifying Person."
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 6:27 PM
Replies (31-40):
RobinBright
by Platinum Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:03 PM
Who? Your boyfriend or fiancé? No, girlfriend is not a qualifying dependent. Husband? No, married people cannot file HOH.

Quoting Anonymous:

So since I'm going to school and under the age of 24, can he claim me as a dependent?

ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:04 PM

hard of hearing?

house of heroes? 

I vote for House of Heroes

;) 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:04 PM
He's my husband.

Quoting RobinBright:

Who? Your boyfriend or fiancé? No, girlfriend is not a qualifying dependent. Husband? No, married people cannot file HOH.

Quoting Anonymous:

So since I'm going to school and under the age of 24, can he claim me as a dependent?

FooLynRoo
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:05 PM
1 mom liked this

wrongo

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040.pdf

You can only file HOH if you are UNmarried or CONSIDERED unMarried BY THEIR DEFINITION

Quoting Kaelaasmom:

Actually, you are incorrect. As long as there is a qualifying dependent, like a child, a married person CAN file HOH.

CM_Junkie
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:07 PM
Well then it will be on h and r blocks head since they make my husband head of household
FooLynRoo
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:08 PM
1 mom liked this

yes a child qualifies you as filing HOH if you are UNMARRIED ....or considered unmarried according to their definition

if you are married and living together you can not claim HOH

Quoting Kaelaasmom:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf

Table 4 clearly says that a child is a qualifying person.

Quoting RobinBright:

No. See the above citation from the IRS.

Quoting Kaelaasmom:

Actually, you are incorrect. As long as there is a qualifying dependent, like a child, a married person CAN file HOH.

mybabyapples
by Nickels on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:09 PM
Thats nice.
MommyLehr
by Veronica on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:10 PM
Our accountant does our taxes.. Idk what he does...
FooLynRoo
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:10 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting CM_Junkie:

Well then it will be on h and r blocks head since they make my husband head of household

That's where you are wrong. read the fine print, despite having a paid preparer do your taxes , if your return is found wrong YOU and only YOU are held accountable for the fines and fees.even their guarantee is bogus.

FL2AK
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I said that the other day and some of these ladies wanted to argue.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured