Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My son's teacher has called a conference

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My son is in kindergarten in a premier private school.  His teacher e-mailed me Friday and said she wanted to meet with me to discuss his progress.  She has NEVER had anything negative about him to say, has always sung his praises.  I don't know what to think.  Should I be concerned?  Should I be excited?  I'm concerned becuase, OBVIOUSLY no parents WANTS to hear anything negative about their child.  I'm excited because I know she's never had anything negative to say about it.  I move back to concerned bcause I do NOT want to move him above his current grade and I know that, in SOME areas, he is at the academic level to move forward.  In other areas, he is a NORMAL 5 year old.  I have NO idea what to expect.  I KNOW I have no reason to be concerned.  Please talk me down.  Teachers call off schedule conferences all the time, right?
P.S. At his conference, his teacher had nothing but the highest praises for him.    HELP!  Should I be concerned?  (I'm meeting with her Tuesday.) 
Edit:  She did NOT reference ANY behavioral concerns.  She ONLY stated that she wants to discuss his progress.  Part of me fears he's falling behind while part of me is wondering if she's wanting to discuss pushing him forward.  I, myself, have considered discussing the possibility of challenging him more in PARTICULAR areas.  AAAAAAAAAH!  I HATE not knowing!!! 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:24 PM
Replies (11-20):
jcampbell288
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:40 PM
1 mom liked this
email her and say ur nervous and would like to know what its in refrence too...she might at least say its nothing bad...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momtolittleg
by Platinum Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:41 PM

I would never ask for a conference without giving the parents some idea of what it is about. 

squeekers
by Platinum Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:42 PM

getting paranoid before the meeting will just give you a migraine & sour disposition until the meeting. relax.

I'm an atheistic Humanist.
I love being opinionated about a lot of things.
SAHM of one teen DD. Married since 1989.
Awarenesses I follow: Epilepsy & Down Syndrome.
I am: Lactose & Alcohol intolerant.
Sagely
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:43 PM
1 mom liked this
If she's pushing it off till Tuesday, it's not a big deal. Breathe!!

And that does sound pretty awesome, how many kids are in your sons class? As a lone teacher with 40 kids in each of 5 classes, I find individualized instruction a huge challenge.

And where is this school, what's it called, and how do I get my kid there? ;-)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:46 PM

I can understand that. One of my children had testing (for lots of reasons) and has a very high IQ. She entered Kinder reading years above that grade level. It DID cause anxiety in me. Since I am a teacher I know that there are lots of ways a school can provide advanced curriculum to students; they don't have to be bumped a grade level. Go into the meeting knowing that schools often: allow kids to go to different classrooms for certain subjects, provide special gifted teachers for gifted students without jumping them a grade, offer special in-class opportunities, etc. My DD did a research report, wrote a book, and joined a higher grade's literature circle. In that same kinder class there was a child doing long division. This could be a very good meeting for your son!

I don't blame you for being nervous though. 

Quoting Anonymous:

No, she just said that she wants to meet with us to discuss his progress.  She is a veteran teacher.  We are BLESSED that he has such an AMAZING, wonderfully experienced teacher.  A little background, this is his third year of shool, not first.  I know she adores him.  Every day when she puts him in the car she has nothing but positive things to say.  I think I fear the positive as much as the negative.  I know EVERY parent wants an amazing kid, but I know that, in SOME areas, my child far exceeds grade level.  In others, he is at or above grade level.  I fear her discussing his downfalls as much as I fear her discussing how far ABOVE grade level he is (in kindergarten he is doing subtraction, two digit addition and simple multiplication).  Obviously, math is his strong suit, lol.  I know I'm worrying over nothing.  His teacher is AMAZING.  I absolutely adore her.  I'll just have to wait, ugh.  LOL (I had HOPED for a Monday conference but she prefered Tuesday.)

Quoting desertlvn:

Teacher here!

Take a deep breath. Did she specify what type of progress? She could mean all kinds of things, not just academic. It could simply be that his coloring isn't great because of motor dexterity.

Whatever it is, you will work through it and be okay.

proudmommy690
by Ruby Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:49 PM
No need to worry. My daughters teacher had a letter sent to have a conference. We talked about how well she was doing, things that needed improved and stuff like that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sagely
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:49 PM
What's your reason(s) for not wanting him to skip a grade?

I almost skipped third grade, but my dad decided against it because I was so small and already young. He was afraid of the potential social issues. Had I skipped, I would have started college at 16. I actually think he made a good decision. College at 17 was irritating enough not being able to sign my own stuff.
wumbo
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:49 PM

My god... Control your capitalization...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Thank you.  :-)  I KNOW I have no reason to be concerned but he is my one and ONLY so I do NOT want to screw this up, LOL.  
Anyhow, his school is in Virginia Beach; its called Cape Henry Collegiate School and it was NOT easy to  get him there.  Every month I write our portion of the tuition check is even harder.  LOL 

Quoting Sagely:

If she's pushing it off till Tuesday, it's not a big deal. Breathe!!

And that does sound pretty awesome, how many kids are in your sons class? As a lone teacher with 40 kids in each of 5 classes, I find individualized instruction a huge challenge.

And where is this school, what's it called, and how do I get my kid there? ;-)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Basically what you're saying.  He has a late birthday to begin with (late June), so he's all ready one of the YOUNGEST in his class.  I KNOW there are ways to challenge him without pushing him forward but, more importantly, I know he is not ready to move forward in EVERY area.  While he is dying to "play calculus," he is also not completely reading yet.  LOL

Quoting Sagely:

What's your reason(s) for not wanting him to skip a grade?

I almost skipped third grade, but my dad decided against it because I was so small and already young. He was afraid of the potential social issues. Had I skipped, I would have started college at 16. I actually think he made a good decision. College at 17 was irritating enough not being able to sign my own stuff.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)