Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Borderline Personality Disorder?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 56 Replies

Anyone here have it or have friends with it?  And if so, what can you tell me about it? 

My friend is sitting in the psych ward right now and I'm pretty sure this is what she has.  I have read there isn't much that can be done for this?  Are you on any medication?  Is there anything that's helpful?  Is there anything I as a friend can do to help her?  

I'm just sick over the whole thing.  My friend really has no one.  Her husband recently left her and is more trouble than help.  Her parents have passed away.  She has siblings but they live about 4 hours away.  She has one daughter in college and one in HS and this is entirely too much for them.  All she really has is me and another close friend.  

What can I do to help?  Thanks for trying to help.  

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I have it. I was diagnosed in 2010 after sleeping with 15 men in a two month period then trying to kill myself because I was so lonely.

I was on Geodon and Celexa for a year after and during that time I got married. I still have bouts of hypersexuality and depression.

Just be a friend. Deserting someone with this disorder is the worse thing you can do. Feeling isolated makes the suicidal thoughts worse.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Bumping for help.

jenking04
by Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:57 PM
My EX had borderline personality disorder. We were together for 10 years off and on. He was also a sociopath a lier and cheater. After my grandma passed away he completly changed and not for the best. He was never on meds and he was once in the mental institution. There really isn't much you can do to help them I wish there was because then maybe I could help my EX so my kids would have a father again. All you can do is be there for her as a friend if she needs to talk.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Thank you.  I'm doing everything I can.  I sat in the hospital with her today for 3 hours just trying to help her pass the time.  Apparently they don't do anything on weekends so she's just sitting there staring at walls.   It's horrible.  She is SO alone, she really is and yes, I will be there for her.  I couldn't hardly stand to leave her there tonight.  

Thank you for answering

Quoting Anonymous:

I have it. I was diagnosed in 2010 after sleeping with 15 men in a two month period then trying to kill myself because I was so lonely.

I was on Geodon and Celexa for a year after and during that time I got married. I still have bouts of hypersexuality and depression.

Just be a friend. Deserting someone with this disorder is the worse thing you can do. Feeling isolated makes the suicidal thoughts worse.

isaiahbellamom
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this
DBT skills therapy is great for those with borderline .
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 12, 2013 at 11:00 PM

I was in and out of the hospital as well for months until my medicine stabalized. I have 2 mental hospital stays under my belt, but I'm doing much better now.

Your friend will make it through this and I'm sure she thanks you for being there with her.

Quoting Anonymous:

Thank you.  I'm doing everything I can.  I sat in the hospital with her today for 3 hours just trying to help her pass the time.  Apparently they don't do anything on weekends so she's just sitting there staring at walls.   It's horrible.  She is SO alone, she really is and yes, I will be there for her.  I couldn't hardly stand to leave her there tonight.  

Thank you for answering

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 12, 2013 at 11:02 PM

From what I have read you are right, there isn't much I can do.  Her friend and I are going to try and talk to her about moving in with one of her siblings for awhile once she gets out.  Otherwise she would be going home to an empty house which is the worst thing for her. It's just a horrible situation and I wish there were more I could do.  I just don't know what. 

Quoting jenking04:

My EX had borderline personality disorder. We were together for 10 years off and on. He was also a sociopath a lier and cheater. After my grandma passed away he completly changed and not for the best. He was never on meds and he was once in the mental institution. There really isn't much you can do to help them I wish there was because then maybe I could help my EX so my kids would have a father again. All you can do is be there for her as a friend if she needs to talk.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 12, 2013 at 11:03 PM

I was diagnosed with BPD in my late teens and early twenties. It was a tough time in my life, a very lonely time. What helped me the most was therapy and having a set schedule. My triggers were when I was home, since I lived alone. IMO, the best thing you can do is get her out of the house, go do something together on a regular bases. 

singlemama0905
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 11:04 PM
I have it. they knew at 16 that I did, was diagnosed officially the day I turned 18. DBT therapy has been my biggest help. it teaches you to rethink the most simple day to day talks and really think about the outcome. I'll be 23 in a couple months and I still go to therapy weekly, but my new therapist has said she never would have guessed I had BPD because I've gotten so good at managing it. there's also and autobio I read that was amazing, lemme find the title of it tho
jenking04
by Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 11:06 PM
My EX lives alone now that me and the kids have left for good. He gets really depressed and suicidal its scarey. He hates being alone one thing that sets him off is alcohole and smoking weed. When he mixes the 2 he gets really depressed and it gets UGLY. It sucks when you see someone your close to going through this knowing there is nothing you can do for them.

Quoting Anonymous:

From what I have read you are right, there isn't much I can do.  Her friend and I are going to try and talk to her about moving in with one of her siblings for awhile once she gets out.  Otherwise she would be going home to an empty house which is the worst thing for her. It's just a horrible situation and I wish there were more I could do.  I just don't know what. 

Quoting jenking04:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)