Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

do you think bipolar is fake?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Or do you think people use it as an excuse?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2013 at 12:18 AM
Replies (161-170):
furbabymum
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this

My DH is bipolar and when we decided to TTC I discussed the possibility of passing it on to my children. The Dr. said it was not linked to any chromosone but has been known to pass on through families AS A LEARNED BEHAVIOR AND THOUGHT PATTERN. I can tell you my DH definetly got it from his crazy arse father. We are taking HUGE steps to prevent it being passed on to our children.

Quoting Anonymous:

NO, Bipolor is often found in person's who have been SEXUALLY, MENTALLY OR EMOTIONALLY ABUSED.. 

It is suggested that it is hereditary.. But I don't beleive that. I personally beleive that when you have been abused that you tend to pass on unhealthy traits.. EX..  A CHILD WHO IS EMOTIONALLY ABUSED.. WHEN THEY HAVE A CHILD WILL NOT KNOW HOW TO EMOTIONALLY HANDLE ALL THE NORMAL THINGS OF PARENTING.. OR AT MINIMUM IT WILL BE MUCH MORE OF A STRUGGLE.. 

redneckmama4
by Loree on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:23 AM
I don't but docs tend to use it as a go to condition.

Thing is, what is "normal"? I have Learned of things that would be seen as bipolar but are actually gifts science doesn't understand.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BeAmour
by Tonya on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:29 AM
For those who have it, it's real.

It's the ones who say "omg stop being bipolar" or, "i'm so bipolar" when they just PMSing or something insignificant....they use it like people use OCD incorrectly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeAmour
by Tonya on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:33 AM
I wasn't abused in any type of way growing up. I was dx with rapid cycling bpd ii.

I was however, after diagnosis, was significantly emotionally, mentally and verbally abused by my stbxh.

Quoting Anonymous:

NO, Bipolor is often found in person's who have been SEXUALLY, MENTALLY OR EMOTIONALLY ABUSED.. 

It is suggested that it is hereditary.. But I don't beleive that. I personally beleive that when you have been abused that you tend to pass on unhealthy traits.. EX..  A CHILD WHO IS EMOTIONALLY ABUSED.. WHEN THEY HAVE A CHILD WILL NOT KNOW HOW TO EMOTIONALLY HANDLE ALL THE NORMAL THINGS OF PARENTING.. OR AT MINIMUM IT WILL BE MUCH MORE OF A STRUGGLE.. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lancet98
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:12 PM

What is the name of the doctor who told you bipolar is a learned behavior and thought pattern? 

And for what it's worth, something can be genetic, and still not be hereditary - you just don't understand genes, that's the problem.

Bipolar is a combination of inherited and mutated genes, and is NOT a 'learned behavior'.   You don't understand all the years of research that shows that?   Fine.   But it's not a matter of the proof not being there, it's that you dobn't understand it.

The thing is, that bipolar and schizophrenia don't occur in 100%, or 50% or even 20 per cent, of a bipolar person's offspring, but again, that does not mean it's not genetic.   It just means that it isn't simply one gene, but many.

ALL diseases caused by 'clouds' of genes follow the exact same pattern of occurence - people can have it anything from very mild to very severe, not all a person's children get it, these illnesses just do not act like single gene diseases.  Epidemiologists have studied these diseases for centuries, and they just do NOT occur like the colors of peas you studied in high school that occur based on the condition of ONE GENE.

Say you have two dollars, and to meet the definition of 'rich' you need two hundred dollars.   That's basically how bipolar works, there are an awful lot of genes that have to be formed in a specific way to create bipolar.   It's not one gene.   It's many genes. 

And that's basically how the genes work, and why a family can have a bipolar dad and have  TEN kids and not ONE of them have bipolar disorder(or could have all of them have it, either can happen).   A LOT of genes have to be a certain way, to create bipolar.

Are schizophrenics and bipolars often abused?   You bet they are.    Because people take advantage of their illness, even take advantage of the prodrome period before they're frankly ill.  Yes, it's true that some people with bipolar or schizophrenia believe they were abused when they were not.   But that isn't always the case(and even if it is, those delusions are still experienced exactly as if they were true, so you're still basically dealing with abuse). 

There's even a case I read, about a father who was sexually abusing one daughter, and hid the other daughter's meds, so she'd be very symptomatic and psychotic...and no one would believe her when she kept saying he was abusing her sister.....

Quoting furbabymum:

My DH is bipolar and when we decided to TTC I discussed the possibility of passing it on to my children. The Dr. said it was not linked to any chromosone but has been known to pass on through families AS A LEARNED BEHAVIOR AND THOUGHT PATTERN. I can tell you my DH definetly got it from his crazy arse father. We are taking HUGE steps to prevent it being passed on to our children.

Quoting Anonymous:

JoyfulinSD
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:13 PM
Most try to hide it. Not fake at all, some may lie and say thet are Bi-polar
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:13 PM

I don't think it's fake but I do think people use it as an excuse and I don't think it should be called a mental disorder.

CrazyLife1996
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:13 PM
It is very real.
RunningMommaof2
by Kelly on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Fake? No. Over diagnosed? Definitely.
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:16 PM

No I do not think it is fake and maybe some people use it as a crutch or excuse but not everyone. I was diagnosed around 13 and have had it under control for about 6 years. I don't let people know and I live my life with no issues.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured