Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

do you think bipolar is fake?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Or do you think people use it as an excuse?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2013 at 12:18 AM
Replies (171-180):
mom2priceboys
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:16 PM

not fake at all just aske m son who suffers

sampson200
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:17 PM

If it is my brother in law is deserving of a fucking Oscar, Emmy and SAG award.

nverheyn2011
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:19 PM

No, it's not fake. Yes, people use it as an excuse. And it's terrible that they do. I know 1 person who was diagnosed (hi, yes... it's me) and another who hands down could be diagnosed, if he went to the doctors regularly.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 36 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:21 PM

No I don't think it is fake.

My husband Has Bipolar Disorder. 

There are different severity's of Bipolar Disorder. 

Do I think some people use it as an excuse... yes. 

(  

Types

There are several types of bipolar disorder; all involve episodes of depression and mania to a degree. They include bipolar I, bipolar II, cyclothymic disorder, mixed bipolar, and rapid-cycling bipolar disorder.

A person affected by bipolar I disorder has had at least one manic episode in his or her life. A manic episode is a period of abnormally elevated mood, accompanied by abnormal behavior that disrupts life.

Bipolar II is similar to bipolar I disorder, with moods cycling between high and low over time. However, in bipolar II disorder, the "up" moods never reach full-on mania.

In rapid cycling, a person with bipolar disorder experiences four or more episodes of mania or depression in one year. About 10% to 20% of people with bipolar disorder have rapid cycling.

In most forms of bipolar disorder, moods alternate between elevated and depressed over time. But with mixed bipolar disorder, a person experiences both mania and depression simultaneously or in rapid sequence.

Cyclothymia (cyclothymic disorder) is a relatively mild mood disorder. People with cyclothymic disorder have milder symptoms than in full-blown bipolar disorder.

Delila12
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:22 PM

I think it's real but people use  as an excuse.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 37 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:23 PM
I believe my mother is bipolar. She has had the classic symptoms for years but will not get treatment for it. Her mood changes from moment to moment and she is unstable.
mewebb82
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:24 PM
It's absolutely real. I do think some people use it as an excuse though. My mom was a teacher in a program for mentally disturbed children and most of the children used their mental disorders as a way to manipulate and excuse their behaviors. There were plenty of times a child clearly knew exactly what they were doing. I'm sure plenty of adults do the same.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kryptomom
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:27 PM

There's some of both.

furbabymum
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:27 PM

He said it's possible it is as it is not linked to a chromosone as most other diseases are.  I'm sorry if you've taken offense to it. Well I'm not actually because I don't give a fuck but your wall of text was annoying.

Quoting lancet98:

What is the name of the doctor who told you bipolar is a learned behavior and thought pattern? 

And for what it's worth, something can be genetic, and still not be hereditary - you just don't understand genes, that's the problem.

Bipolar is a combination of inherited and mutated genes, and is NOT a 'learned behavior'.   You don't understand all the years of research that shows that?   Fine.   But it's not a matter of the proof not being there, it's that you dobn't understand it.

The thing is, that bipolar and schizophrenia don't occur in 100%, or 50% or even 20 per cent, of a bipolar person's offspring, but again, that does not mean it's not genetic.   It just means that it isn't simply one gene, but many.

ALL diseases caused by 'clouds' of genes follow the exact same pattern of occurence - people can have it anything from very mild to very severe, not all a person's children get it, these illnesses just do not act like single gene diseases.  Epidemiologists have studied these diseases for centuries, and they just do NOT occur like the colors of peas you studied in high school that occur based on the condition of ONE GENE.

Say you have two dollars, and to meet the definition of 'rich' you need two hundred dollars.   That's basically how bipolar works, there are an awful lot of genes that have to be formed in a specific way to create bipolar.   It's not one gene.   It's many genes. 

And that's basically how the genes work, and why a family can have a bipolar dad and have  TEN kids and not ONE of them have bipolar disorder(or could have all of them have it, either can happen).   A LOT of genes have to be a certain way, to create bipolar.

Are schizophrenics and bipolars often abused?   You bet they are.    Because people take advantage of their illness, even take advantage of the prodrome period before they're frankly ill.  Yes, it's true that some people with bipolar or schizophrenia believe they were abused when they were not.   But that isn't always the case(and even if it is, those delusions are still experienced exactly as if they were true, so you're still basically dealing with abuse). 

There's even a case I read, about a father who was sexually abusing one daughter, and hid the other daughter's meds, so she'd be very symptomatic and psychotic...and no one would believe her when she kept saying he was abusing her sister.....

Quoting furbabymum:

My DH is bipolar and when we decided to TTC I discussed the possibility of passing it on to my children. The Dr. said it was not linked to any chromosone but has been known to pass on through families AS A LEARNED BEHAVIOR AND THOUGHT PATTERN. I can tell you my DH definetly got it from his crazy arse father. We are taking HUGE steps to prevent it being passed on to our children.

Quoting Anonymous:

NO, Bipolor is often found in person's who have been SEXUALLY, MENTALLY OR EMOTIONALLY ABUSED.. 

It is suggested that it is hereditary.. But I don't beleive that. I personally beleive that when you have been abused that you tend to pass on unhealthy traits.. EX..  A CHILD WHO IS EMOTIONALLY ABUSED.. WHEN THEY HAVE A CHILD WILL NOT KNOW HOW TO EMOTIONALLY HANDLE ALL THE NORMAL THINGS OF PARENTING.. OR AT MINIMUM IT WILL BE MUCH MORE OF A STRUGGLE.. 

rosaleeandtwo
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Its real and it IS an excuse.  When you're brain isn't functioning the way its supposed to, its pretty damn likely your body/mouth/attitude wont either.

That's like saying "do you think apples are fake?"  What I THINK doesn't matter.  What can be proven does.  Bi-polar disorder is a medically recognized disorder.  I couldn't give a shit if some "average joe" doesn't believe it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)