Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

do you think bipolar is fake?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Or do you think people use it as an excuse?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2013 at 12:18 AM
Replies (191-200):
spooky415
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:01 PM
no and sometimes.

my husband is bipolar and has tried to use it as an excuse a time or two. his therapist shut that down reallll fast.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 41 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:06 PM

This will surprise you. Sometimes people who have family members with a mental illness say it's fake. It's not fake. These family members have several reasons (which are too long to type) why they think it's fake and they are all the WRONG reasons.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 39 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:39 PM

No, I am the therapist, actually LIscenced Clinical Social Worker that they are coming to to ask me to fill out the paperwork for them(I really do therapy, paperwork is just one task of the job), I generally do NOT agree with random uneducated people's diagnosis of their friends and family members.  And I do NOT fill out the paperwork with other people's opinions, I give my OWN Professional opinion which generally is that this person CAN work.  Generally after that they don't come back anymore. Guess I am good at "curing" people or they just did not get what they wanted, so they don't return. 

Quoting lancet98:

You are saying people get SSI based on a diagnosis made by their....brother?

Who's your supervisor, and what state are you in, and what agency do you work for?

Let's trot this out into the cold light of dawn.

Quoting Anonymous:

I work in mental health.  Bipolar used to be a good way to get SSI, so I see a lot of people who come in saying "I have Bipolar".  When I asked who diagnosed them they say my mother, my brother, boyfriend, friend, you get the idea.  What symptoms do you have?         I get angry and yell and/or hit people. They aren't able to identify any real symptoms.   Then they often say "yes" to every question I ask. I sit there thinking, "Please at least try to be less obvious that you are faking. " And then the SSI paperwork comes before I can even get their case opened.  Frustrating.  I would really like to help people improve their lives..not sign people up for a SSI lifestyle.  Very very frustrating.  

That being said there are people who truly do fit the diagnosis of Bipolar, usually they are the ones who sincerely try to have "normal" lives and do NOT want to be labeled Bipolar.   They come in saying "Dr. SoandSo diagnosed me as Bipolar but I am not, look at all I have accomplished".  

Princess.Sara
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:42 PM

No my dad is bipolar and he would never use it as an excuse, he hates it and hates that people know about it.

SlightlyPerfect
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:43 PM

I'm sorry you go through that.

What if a person really doesn't understand what it means to be bi-polar? How would one spot "fakes"?

Quoting chi_moma:

Definitely not fake. I'm bipolar and wouldn't wish the hell i go thru on anyone. I think some MAY use it as an excuse for attention tho but if someone truly understands bipolar, it would be fairly obvious they were lying

slightlyperfect

chi_moma
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Sorry it's taken so  long to answer your question, I haven't been on in awhile =)

My symptoms are all over the place. One day I'm crying, the next I could be throwing adult tantrums and the next could be extremely happy and lovey dovey. I get really manic for maybe a week or two when I feel unstoppable, like nothing can bring me down or get in my way. But after that I hit a low where I hate life and nothing good ever happens to me etc.

It's really difficult to manage sometimes but overall it's not THAT bad since I've learned to handle my outbursts a little better.

Quoting Anonymous:

Some people are really uneducated about it. Someone on here called me bipolar the other day because she was insulting me and trying to piss me off but I just made jokes which pissed her off even more lol. But if you don't mind me asking what are some of the symptoms that you go through? I really don't know much about it either  

Quoting chi_moma:

Definitely not fake. I'm bipolar and wouldn't wish the hell i go thru on anyone. I think some MAY use it as an excuse for attention tho but if someone truly understands bipolar, it would be fairly obvious they were lying

tysmommy98
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:49 AM
I'm bipolar and I'm not fake or made up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 42 on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:51 AM

considering I have it.... No I don't think it is fake.

Do I think people use it as an excuse?  Yes.  Some do.

Some people also use back pain, adhd, allergies ect as excuses.  

Doesn't mean those things aren't real.

Life isn't black and white.

emarin77
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:55 AM

No.  It is like any mental disorder; Schizophrenia and Depression all real.  I mother had schizophrenia while I was growing up, very scary to me at the time.

AleaKat
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:56 AM
No way!
I've seen my sisters extreme highs and lows.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)