Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

torn on how to feel... ds seeing a drug withdraw

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Ds' grandmother was watching him. When I went to pick him up, she said that they were at the hospital.. That her dd called, saying she was withdrawing and wanted help... so grandmother loaded everyone in her car: her bf, her, her dd, and her two grandchildren... She has custody of her dd's child... And took her to the hospital.

On one hand, I'm mad. I suffered/sacrificed so much bc I didn't want ds to see an addict, or a withdraw. His dad was addicted to heroin and for 8 yrs, I'll keep him away until he shows he can stay clean (currently in prison).. And all that was for nothing, bc in the end, he still seen it. He's 7yrs old.

On the other hand, if my son was grown, and addicted, crying to me, asking for help, I'd do anything within my power to help. Nothing could stop me. A mothers love is unconditional, the desire to protect, to ease the pain will never cease...

I just hate that my son witnessed that. :-( I hate that this ladys own 3 yrs old witnessed it- that it's become so apart of her life that it doesn't phrase her.

I told the grandmother if she ever wants me to watch her grandchild, in events like this, I will. I didn't show her my anger about ds seeing it... I'm trying to come to terms with it and trying to answer his questions, but sometimes, I just get so mad!
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:49 AM
Replies (11-20):
MunchiesMom324
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I would be upset but it might help him stay away from drugs when he gets older.

DS1 was 7 when he witnessed a car accident that was caused by a drunk driver... and DH and I stopped to help the wounded.  He still talks about it to this day, two years later, and I think that if he ever decides to drink, he will do so responsibly.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:01 PM
I feel differently than you... we should constantly talk to our children about drugs. As sad as it is, drugs are reaching younger and younger kids. :/
ffpm10
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:04 PM
With all the problems your family has, you should start the drug talk and continue it. And hope he doesn't end up like them:/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ididntdoit111
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Sassy762:

I don't think Grandmother had a choice...kwim

IF your child called you and said what her DD said.....You would have gone..wouldn't you??

YUP. It's not as though the child knew what was wrong anyhow. And you are nauseous, achy, sweaty, diarrhea, sniffles ,sneezing and watery eyes and mental "mind screams" Most people just lay there in misery. I know this because I was an addict for years. I am clean now. 8 years. I do understand OP's annoyance but I'd have done the same thing. If my kids need me...I'm there. It won't harm the child, it may help them to stay away from drugs!

areyouatroll
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:17 PM
I would be highly upset that she didn't call first to make other arrangements.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:21 PM
My brother goes thru heroin withdrawals all the time, it's really nothing more than seeing someone with the flu.
Liyoness
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:43 PM

She could have waited until you picked your kid up. I don't think this is the time to keep your feelings to yourself - she needs to know that taking all these kids in to witness a drug withdrawal was not good for them. Bringing them around that normalizes it. No child should see that as normal.

In fact, I'd say what she did was enable her daughter. Her daughter could have done with the lesson of knowing that mommy can't be there for her at the drop of a hat, that the children take priority over her addiction, even if she is her daughter. 

MomLife16
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:46 PM
This.

Quoting Bonita131:

I think the opposite. Seeing someone dealing with withdrawal, and realizing that drugs caused it, would be a good eye opener for kids. It'll make them think twice when someone at their school offers them drugs.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Liyoness
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:48 PM

I wouldn't. Not with young children in tow.

I think anyone who would has questionable judgement. Who in their right mind chooses a drug addict's pleas over what is in the best interests of the children?

She could have just as easily stated, "I'll be there as soon as I can. OP picks up the kids at ___pm. I'll be there around that time."

Quoting Sassy762:

I don't think Grandmother had a choice...kwim

IF your child called you and said what her DD said.....You would have gone..wouldn't you??

Liyoness
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Except, that's not the way it happens. That's what after school specials will try to convince you, but drugs cost money. People don't just give them away for free. There is no agenda to get kids hooked on drugs.

Quoting Bonita131:

I think the opposite. Seeing someone dealing with withdrawal, and realizing that drugs caused it, would be a good eye opener for kids. It'll make them think twice when someone at their school offers them drugs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN