Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Your use of profanity indicates that you are of lesser intelligence

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:44 AM
  • 364 Replies
8 moms liked this
Or otherwise titled: "I hope you don't speak to your kids that way!"

The sentence that just came out of my mouth, directed at DD: "I would like you to go get dressed. If you're able to do this in a timely manner then you may be able to engage in some sort of recreational activity before we leave."

She's five. I found myself reflecting on that sentence after I spoke it. Many would say that's too advanced for a child of her age, but since she began speaking in sentences that's how I've spoken to her. Not every sentence is put so eloquently. Sometimes I'm brief and occasionally I'm long winded. It provides her the opportunity to hear vocabulary she isn't necessarily exposed to on a regular basis outside of our home. When she doesn't understand, she asks, and I define the word or break down the phrase so she knows.

The sentence struck me. Sometimes my mom rolls her eyes at me because she thinks DD wouldn't understand. She's fairly precocious and I love the English language, as well as I love teaching her about it.

For good measure, I feel like I should throw an eff bomb in here, because my children are also exposed to the gutteral language. So, fuck.

Do you swear in front of your kids? Do you use large words with them?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Roo1234
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:45 AM
No, and yes.
Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:52 AM
2 moms liked this

I do curse in front of her occasionally, but I do try not to. I have always spoken to her as an adult, right from day one. I receive compliments constantly about her extensive vocabulary.

CafeMom Tickers
Mamasgirl524
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:52 AM
Fuck yeah!

Seriously though I do cuss in front of my kids. I always have and except for my daughter saying oh shit before she was 2, she hasn't repeated.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:53 AM
I think as long as you understand that they might need a word explained to them once or twice, it's very helpful to expose your child to a lot of different words. To them, a big word is not necessarily harder to understand, even if it might be hard for them to repeat.
Whaaaaaa....O.o
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:55 AM
1 mom liked this
My 4 year old has an advanced vocabulary that just floors her dr. And my 6 year old shocks her teacher daily. Why? Because that is how we have always spoken to them. "If you do not finish cleaning your room in a timely manner you will have consequences" "we shall be at home shortly".

My kids know what that means and that is how they talk.
southernwldchld
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:55 AM
Yep to both.

They know they can't drop f bombs, and they pop out with the biggest words sometimes.

For the longest time ds refused to use contractions. He also fell in love with the word rather.
IandLoveandYou
by Penny Lane on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:56 AM
I don't swear in front of our daughter, but I do use big words with her :). Usually she gets it pretty well! Lol.. She's 3.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fields456
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:58 AM
Yes and yes I try not to cuss but I have minor road rage and I get really into football but other than that not really
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:01 AM
2 moms liked this
No I don't swear at all and think it's trashy, especially in front of children. No, I don't use big words, but say what I know my child would understand.
lindilouwho82
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:02 AM

Yes and yes.

My five year old who is nine now started using words like unfortunately, apparently, circumstances, furthermore..etc. She uses them because I do while talking to her and have always talked to her in a mature manner.

My mom hates it, she believes it makes her grow up too fast. I dont see the problem.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN