Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Your use of profanity indicates that you are of lesser intelligence

Posted by   + Show Post
Or otherwise titled: "I hope you don't speak to your kids that way!"

The sentence that just came out of my mouth, directed at DD: "I would like you to go get dressed. If you're able to do this in a timely manner then you may be able to engage in some sort of recreational activity before we leave."

She's five. I found myself reflecting on that sentence after I spoke it. Many would say that's too advanced for a child of her age, but since she began speaking in sentences that's how I've spoken to her. Not every sentence is put so eloquently. Sometimes I'm brief and occasionally I'm long winded. It provides her the opportunity to hear vocabulary she isn't necessarily exposed to on a regular basis outside of our home. When she doesn't understand, she asks, and I define the word or break down the phrase so she knows.

The sentence struck me. Sometimes my mom rolls her eyes at me because she thinks DD wouldn't understand. She's fairly precocious and I love the English language, as well as I love teaching her about it.

For good measure, I feel like I should throw an eff bomb in here, because my children are also exposed to the gutteral language. So, fuck.

Do you swear in front of your kids? Do you use large words with them?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:44 AM
Replies (11-20):
mom2the.rescue
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:06 AM

I don't try to swear in front of them, but it happens...more so now that I realize it won't ruin 'em...and I use plenty of big words and define them if needed...and I've always taught them that people who swear often have eesy weensy vocabularies.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:06 AM
I never swear and I talk properly. Our school principal is also very committed to expanding vocabulary so it's not uncommon to hear kindergartners using words like exquisite or malodorous around town. Sadly I've also heard parents telling their kids not to use such words because nobody will understand them or saying they sound stuck up. I really dislike parents who are afraid of their kids moving up in life.
brokenxxangel
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Fuck yes I curse in front of her, I do make an effort not to though. I have to keep my sentences simple cause my dd has auditory processing difficulties that are a part of her autism.

UxorQuodMatris.
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:10 AM
No and somewhat.
MammaPaparazza
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:10 AM
1 mom liked this
My dd told her daddy last night, "daddy your breathe smells like rancid"
I corrected her and she said, "daddy your breath smells rancid, don't kiss me goodnight"
Lol

For the record, he was eating Doritos which she can't stand the smell of.
I think that's pretty good for six year old, lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Neuro
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:11 AM

I am not unintelligent. Not by any means. I am fairly well educated.

However, I do not swear in front of children.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:13 AM
I curse when im angry. When my kids are pissin me off I say it, and sometimes I say to them what the Fuck is your problem etc.....
anyotherday
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:15 AM

I do both. It makes me lol to hear DS use long words or ask what they mean. It is fun... 

And cussing... I try not to, but do, it is inevitable with me... DS has repeated me a couple times but we talked about adult words and he doesnt say them again. I'm trying to break the habit, but now DH doesnt want me saying the replacement words either so Im like AARGH... 

And as far as your title goes... I never claimed to be fucking einstein, in either way you might take that statement, LMAO... :D :D

Wicked.Jester
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:16 AM
2 moms liked this

Swearing has nothing to do with your intelligence nor your maturity.  I have a and MBA from a top tier school.  I also swear like a sailor.  I choose it, I have always been a very animated person.  Me swearing does not mean I am angry or too emotionally involved.  It means I am being me.

I handle myself appropriately where that is not acceptable (work, etc) but CM is not one of those places.

Have my kids heard me swear?  Yes.  But no one in this house swears AT each other.   I never say "fuck you" to my DH....he never calls me a "Bitch" ......or any name for that matter.  To me the SWEARING is far less important than the dynamic of the household.  So many mothers are against "swearing" but will go at it like a rabid dog with their husband right in front of their kids.....insulting each other, saying horrible hurtful things, belitting their spouse or their kids, but its all okay because they haven't used a curse word.

That is idiotic.

So, have my kids heard me swear?  Yep.

Have they ever been verbally abused, or heard their parents verbally abuse each other?

Nope.

hautemama83
by Emerald Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:21 AM
Yes and yes.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)