Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Your use of profanity indicates that you are of lesser intelligence

Posted by   + Show Post
Or otherwise titled: "I hope you don't speak to your kids that way!"

The sentence that just came out of my mouth, directed at DD: "I would like you to go get dressed. If you're able to do this in a timely manner then you may be able to engage in some sort of recreational activity before we leave."

She's five. I found myself reflecting on that sentence after I spoke it. Many would say that's too advanced for a child of her age, but since she began speaking in sentences that's how I've spoken to her. Not every sentence is put so eloquently. Sometimes I'm brief and occasionally I'm long winded. It provides her the opportunity to hear vocabulary she isn't necessarily exposed to on a regular basis outside of our home. When she doesn't understand, she asks, and I define the word or break down the phrase so she knows.

The sentence struck me. Sometimes my mom rolls her eyes at me because she thinks DD wouldn't understand. She's fairly precocious and I love the English language, as well as I love teaching her about it.

For good measure, I feel like I should throw an eff bomb in here, because my children are also exposed to the gutteral language. So, fuck.

Do you swear in front of your kids? Do you use large words with them?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:44 AM
Replies (21-30):
Aeonix
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:22 AM
I swear and I use big words. I fucking hate it when people say it makes you sound less intelligent. Fuck them. Especially my ex. I'm more intelligent than he could ever even dream of being, but he was fond of saying that. He had no other argument, so he decided insulting my swearing and intelligence would work.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:23 AM
Yes and yes. Perhaps it is because we're from the UK but profanity is simply a necessary part of our vernacular. It is as important to us that they not only grasp true and proper English but that they equally grasp the proper use of profanity. Its place may be limited but context is important.
dandylynes
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Rarely.  When I chopped my finger up in the blade of a mixer yelled a big loud "shit" (this was a few days ago and she's 14, she hears worse daily).

I've used larger words in front of my daughter even as a baby.  She didn't start talking until after 2, but is one of the most eloquent and sought after people for speaking in her school.

lovelychaos13
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:31 AM

we use alot of big words with our 6 and 7 yr olds, yes very rarely does a cuss word slip out  we dont intend them to hear, but the peers they have in school they hear far worse. my kids gasp if the word stupid is used. they take big offence to it, and  ive been told by their theachers how the girls  "police" other peers for using mean or negative words but that they like it because it shows they have been taught alot of respect and they are passing that knowlege of how to be respectful to others. it makes me proud that despite  the rare really bad cuss word that slips in the house that our kids not only  will ask others not to say a certian word but also tell them why it is not a good word and how using that word can make others feel and then they tell them other words or things they can do instead! yes im a very proud momma that they can also handle a situation and solve or difuse it  without any adult steping in.

itsm3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:32 AM

i speak to dd (minus the swearing) as if she were an adult.  if i'm using words i know she doesn't know, i'll explain what that/those word9s) mean but i will continue using it/them in my sentences.  i think this is part of the reason why dd, who is only 4, is so well-spoken and people often thinks she's older just by the way she speaks/addresses people.

BKozICan
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:34 AM

No eff-bombs, but other swear words. My kids are silly--as a baby, my older son wouldn't say yum or sad, or anything like that, but then he would come off with "That's delicious," or "I'm niserable." (Not a typo, that is how he said it.)

I'd just shake my head and laugh.

BTW, I have an exceptionally high IQ and a degree in communications. My son also has a high IQ, damn it. ;-)

emmysmommy8811
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:38 AM
No and yes, but I speak spanish to my daughter. I want her to learn English in school like I did. I wouldn't speak both to her because they tend to get confused on what is what. I do asl with her since I'm pretty fluent in that as well. I believe spelling and punctuation means a lot, atleast when it comes down to the real world. I'm a pretty young mom and honestly I have to say I hate most parents in my generation because they can't spell to save their life and on top of that, they are supposed to help a child learn. Not to forget to mention a lot of young moms didn't graduate from High School.
emmysmommy8811
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:40 AM
That is soo freakin cute! "Niserable" my niece used to say "funder" for thunder and "navy" for maybe. I thought it was the cutest thing ever!!

Quoting BKozICan:

No eff-bombs, but other swear words. My kids are silly--as a baby, my older son wouldn't say yum or sad, or anything like that, but then he would come off with "That's delicious," or "I'm niserable." (Not a typo, that is how he said it.)

I'd just shake my head and laugh.

BTW, I have an exceptionally high IQ and a degree in communications. My son also has a high IQ, damn it. ;-)

Suzukigirl710
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:41 AM

I have said dammit in front of my 4 yo, which she began saying it too.  I had to hide my face when she said it, because it was hilarious hearing her say it.  I did tell her mommy should not have said that, and she shouldn't say it either.  I speak to my daughter in adult type speech (ie. big words) and she uses it too when referring to something. 

ladyraven16
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:43 AM
Yes to both. It's hilarious when they use a large word they've heard from me in the correct context too. It shocks people.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)