Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Your use of profanity indicates that you are of lesser intelligence

Posted by   + Show Post
Or otherwise titled: "I hope you don't speak to your kids that way!"

The sentence that just came out of my mouth, directed at DD: "I would like you to go get dressed. If you're able to do this in a timely manner then you may be able to engage in some sort of recreational activity before we leave."

She's five. I found myself reflecting on that sentence after I spoke it. Many would say that's too advanced for a child of her age, but since she began speaking in sentences that's how I've spoken to her. Not every sentence is put so eloquently. Sometimes I'm brief and occasionally I'm long winded. It provides her the opportunity to hear vocabulary she isn't necessarily exposed to on a regular basis outside of our home. When she doesn't understand, she asks, and I define the word or break down the phrase so she knows.

The sentence struck me. Sometimes my mom rolls her eyes at me because she thinks DD wouldn't understand. She's fairly precocious and I love the English language, as well as I love teaching her about it.

For good measure, I feel like I should throw an eff bomb in here, because my children are also exposed to the gutteral language. So, fuck.

Do you swear in front of your kids? Do you use large words with them?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:44 AM
Replies (31-40):
JavaLadybug2
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:43 AM
Not lower intellect but yes less education
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:44 AM

I've never spoken, "baby talk", to any of my children, I don't see the point.  As I love big words, according to my husband, they are used to hearing them and understand most of them.  You're doing your daughter a great service.  Incidentally they've always been the best spellers and readers in their schools so it pays off in more ways than just a better understanding of the English Language and that carries over into other subjects.

ErikaRobin
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Mrs.Pedro
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:49 AM
Mine are only one and three, so I speak very short sentences otherwise they don't get it. I do curse around them and so does hubby. It's how I grew up and I was taught not to curse until you're an adult or momma says its okay. My sister was allowed at about 17 or 18, and I began when I moved out at 19.
Alliemad_3
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:49 AM
We have never spoken down to our children. We've always engaged them with adult-like language and that's how they speak now.

We do not curse in front of them. We don't curse a lot as it is. It's two-fold...we don't want them repeating it now, and we do not want them to have gutter mouths when they are adults. It's how we prefer things.
jbirdsladie27
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:51 AM
Yes and yes
Tatiana7
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:53 AM
I always used big words. I read a lot. One thing I recall telling my daughters: "Don't run with that! You'll impale your sister!".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsErdos2011
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Occasionally and I try 

beeky
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:56 AM

I always used big words with my kids when they were little.  Their vocabulary is very extensive now.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:57 AM
"I would like you to go get dressed. If you're able to do this in a timely manner then you may be able to engage in some sort of recreational activity before we leave."

I hope those are considered advanced words for a 5 year old. :( if so, that's so sad!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN