Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Your use of profanity indicates that you are of lesser intelligence

Posted by   + Show Post
Or otherwise titled: "I hope you don't speak to your kids that way!"

The sentence that just came out of my mouth, directed at DD: "I would like you to go get dressed. If you're able to do this in a timely manner then you may be able to engage in some sort of recreational activity before we leave."

She's five. I found myself reflecting on that sentence after I spoke it. Many would say that's too advanced for a child of her age, but since she began speaking in sentences that's how I've spoken to her. Not every sentence is put so eloquently. Sometimes I'm brief and occasionally I'm long winded. It provides her the opportunity to hear vocabulary she isn't necessarily exposed to on a regular basis outside of our home. When she doesn't understand, she asks, and I define the word or break down the phrase so she knows.

The sentence struck me. Sometimes my mom rolls her eyes at me because she thinks DD wouldn't understand. She's fairly precocious and I love the English language, as well as I love teaching her about it.

For good measure, I feel like I should throw an eff bomb in here, because my children are also exposed to the gutteral language. So, fuck.

Do you swear in front of your kids? Do you use large words with them?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:44 AM
Replies (51-60):
Queen_Sheila
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:37 AM

I think people don't give children enough credit, they understand more than most people think they do.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:39 AM

I agree with this.  I am guilty of swearing in front of my kids from time to time but it is not done on a regular basis. 

Quoting Queen_Sheila:

I think people don't give children enough credit, they understand more than most people think they do.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:40 AM
Everyone I know talks appropriately to their children. No 'baby talk'. I think that's the norm.
coreilly89
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:41 AM
I don't see a problem with it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rgba
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:42 AM
We use adult language and long sentences with our 3 year old, and he is very eloquent as well for his age.

I try not to swear, but have definitely dropped a few bombs. Last night DS' great grandma said "shit" at the end of tne broncos game in front of all of us, and I almost fell over laughing. She's almost 90, and I've never heard her swear!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
itzmyzoo
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:43 AM
I just told my 12 yo ds to shut the fuck up. he is teasing me about the broncos game from last nite. we teach our kids they are grown up words, and when they are grown ups, if they choose, they can use them. we also teach them there are situations and places where it is not acceptable. curse words are just colorful adjectives.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:43 AM

I do both. i swear(sometimes it sneaks out) and use large words. My kid started talking around 18 months and hasn't stopped since. His teacher reinforced my belief by telling us his vocabulary is very broad for a child his age. :) I have ALWAYS talked to my kid. My husband works many, many hours so its been just us for a lot of the time. If i thought it in my mind I spoke it out loud ever since he was an infant. I attribute that habit to his smooth talking skills. :)

Photo: -Randi.

Derari
by :::Achtung::: on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:43 AM

In the words of The Great Piccadily, from the Curious George movie, " I will endeavor to amuse you, with restitistitation, legitimane and other large words!"

Raveyk
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:43 AM

I sometimes use large words with the kids to introduce them to that vocabulary. I try not to swear in front of the kids, but you know, it happens sometimes. As far as the intelligence thing....Intelligent, eloquent people have things to curse about too, it doesn't make them less intelligent. lol.

mommie2twogirls
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:45 AM

i think that kids can handle and understand what you teach them to understand, for the most part i try not to cuss around my kids, my down fall...... the car..... i have road rage sometimes "f*ing douch bag must be drunk" gets said lol which i never thought anything of until my 10 yr old over heard my dad and my brother joking around and my dad said to my brother "oh stop being a douch bag" and my 10 year old without missing a beat said "unlce mark is not a douch bag" my dad was like you don't even know what that means! my 10 yr old said "it's some one who is a bad driver and is likely drinking and driving, and uncle mark is not a bad driver and he doesnt even drink!" my dad just looked and at me and was like hmmmm use that word often? when she was like 3 some one cut us of in traffic and she said "you idiot" and flicked him off i was like oh noooooo lol i got better about it for a while, like until they were old enough to understand dont repeat those thigns lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)