Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What is your "plan" for when your kids graduate high school?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
DH and I plan on our kids going to college, and we will allow them to live with us rent free for as long as they are in college, but they will need to hold a part time job. If they don't go to college they can only stay with us, for free, for 6 months, after which they can move out or pay rent. Either way they will have certain rules to follow also.

So do you have a plan for your kids after high school?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2013 at 3:17 PM
Replies (11-20):
fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Rent as soon as they graduate HS.  College or not which they don't know but will be put in an acct. for them so when they move out we will present it to them for a down pymt etc. 

Plus then they will be responsible for all their bills cell phone, car insurance, car registration and inspection, clothing, all and anything they want and need for the most part.

illinoismommy83
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:07 PM

DH wants the girls out of the house and in the dorms the day after graduation. Joke is on him, if they go to school in town they will spend their freshman year in our home per the universities rules.

MrsRobinson06
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:08 PM
Pretty much the same as yours.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucsch
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Nope, but THEY have plans because of the way we've raised them to want to make their own way in life.

mommytoeandb
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:09 PM
Pretty much the same. DH would like them to attend community college, then transfer to a four-year school. We plan to have the house paid off before they graduate. Only time shall tell what really happens!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilpsmommie2011
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:11 PM
She is only one so I don't really have a plan. I do however know that she can live with me after graduation as long as she is doing something productive with her life. She will not just lounge around my house and sponge off me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
risaspieces
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:13 PM
I'll probably offer what my parents offered. If they're full time students they can live at home for free, part time students they have to have a part time job and pay some bills, if they choose not to go to school they have to work full time and pay rent and bills.

I was 16 when I graduated hs so my parents didn't make me pay rent or bills and I could only be a part time college student until I turned 17, so they bent their rules for me a bit.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bluedolly01
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:14 PM
Yep. Move and dont tell them where... jks. Seriously though our plan is pretty similar to yours.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:14 PM

My grandparents had seven kids and all left home after highschool, either going to college, getting married, or joining the military. Except my mom, who was the second youngest. Ughh. I just did the math and realized my grandma became a mom at 17. Yikes. Anyway, she was about thirty when she had my mom, and their youngest was only two years younger thn my mom and got married right out of high school. So, they were looking forward to being alone. Instead my mom didn't leave and stayed with them until she was 24. Then my grandfather, who couldn't convince my grandma to kick out her daughter, came up with the idea of retiring to Florida. They moved thousands of miles away to a retirement community because they didn't know how to make my mom get an apartment. I think that's such a funny, crazy story of what happens if you DON'T make a plan.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah I understand that lol. Dh and I grew up watching our siblings take advantage of our parents. Living there for free until they were well into their 20s, not working, being disrespectful. We just wanted a what if plan. KWIM?

Quoting Anonymous:

Not really. I think i will atleast let them get into middle school before i start making those plans.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:14 PM
2 moms liked this
We will be happily shipping her ass off to college or hopefully the Military. I want her to go to the Military, so she can have a chance to see the world and know different people.

But whatever she does, I will be throwing a party for myself to celebrate that I got her through hgh school and she graduated with her right class. Then, hubby and I are going on a cruise to celebrate one kid down and we will have 2 more to kick out the nest. We will screw in every room and run naked through the house.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN