Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What is your "plan" for when your kids graduate high school?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
DH and I plan on our kids going to college, and we will allow them to live with us rent free for as long as they are in college, but they will need to hold a part time job. If they don't go to college they can only stay with us, for free, for 6 months, after which they can move out or pay rent. Either way they will have certain rules to follow also.

So do you have a plan for your kids after high school?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2013 at 3:17 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:30 PM

no not really. we will kind of cross that bridge when we get to it. I am thinking tho of allowing them to stay living at home for free as long as they are going to college. if they don't want to go to school, then they have to get a job and pay rent. and they have to be out of the house either by the time they are 25 years old. thats what we thinking now, but things may change when that time actually arrives.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:31 PM

yes, pack my bags, turn over the bills in THEIR name, and tell them goodbye, they are on their own...they can have the house, the bills, and the yardwork...i'm gone....

iheartmiboys
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:32 PM

This. Plus watching DH painfully write checks to their school. He has an issue with letting money go. Even though that's why we are saving it. 

Quoting Anonymous:

DH and I plan on our kids going to college, and we will allow them to live with us rent free for as long as they are in college, but they will need to hold a part time job. If they don't go to college they can only stay with us, for free, for 6 months, after which they can move out or pay rent. Either way they will have certain rules to follow also.

So do you have a plan for your kids after high school?

lucsch
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Eldest is married and out his own, working and going full-time to pharmacy school.

Next one is in college and working to support himself enough to pay for it (with help from loans and scholarships).

3rd son will start college next fall locally on full tuition scholarship. He will live at home. I am sure, because he knows "the next step" is to get a job and a place to live, he will do that.

My dd is only 10.

My point is, we need no "rules" about it because we have raised them to WANT to do the right thing. That's the "trick" to good parenting. You don't have to feel all offended over my comment. LOL

Quoting Anonymous:

Again, its not a plan FOR MY KIDS. Its one for MY HOME. If you are cool with your kids living off you forever, then that's on you, but we have this plan so my kids know that will never be an option.

Quoting lucsch:

Nope, but THEY have plans because of the way we've raised them to want to make their own way in life.

RobinBright
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:33 PM

My boys will have a few choices after high school....  college, full time job, military, or some kind of service project (Teach for America, Peace Corps, etc).  We already have their college accounts funded in full based on projected tuition rates, but if they choose another route (like a trade union or military career) we will happily turn their tuition funds over into "buy a house" funds. 

They are welcome to live with us rent free if they are full time students, otherwise they will pay rent. 

peachesforme
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:34 PM

We haven't discussed that yet as my oldest is only in 6th grade, and I have a 4th grader, and preschooler.  I think that if they are in college, I'll let them stay as long as they're in school.  After they graduate college, I'll let them stay until they find a job and get established.  the longer they live with parents, the more money they can save for themselves. As long as they aren't being lazy and taking advantage, they can stay as long as they need to.

Mweddle
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Well my hope is that they go to college or trade school.  They can live here while they get their education.  When they move out...TRAVEL!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:40 PM
I plan to travel with dh he works out of town. My kids are always welcome. It will always be there home no matter what. I do plan on them working if they don't go to college.
Devious333
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:40 PM
Kick their asses out of my house and party!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nolanzo
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:40 PM
Oh no... I got what u meant. I was kidding :)

He is already working at 15 so he has an excellent work ethic.... I'm not worried that he'll freeload whatsoever post-high school.

Quoting Anonymous:

Its not making plans for HIM its making plans for YOU and your home. My kids don't have to go to college, but they will NOT live off me.

Quoting Nolanzo:

Lol... I am not making any plans for him at all... He's capable of doing that on his own and is well on his way.

He is planning to enlist.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN