Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What is your "plan" for when your kids graduate high school?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
DH and I plan on our kids going to college, and we will allow them to live with us rent free for as long as they are in college, but they will need to hold a part time job. If they don't go to college they can only stay with us, for free, for 6 months, after which they can move out or pay rent. Either way they will have certain rules to follow also.

So do you have a plan for your kids after high school?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2013 at 3:17 PM
Replies (51-60):
SipCrochetSip
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:45 PM

My DH would say, "I'll help you pack" ... haha, at least that is what he is saying now.  I suspect when the youngest kiddos get older he will sing a different tune.

My DS is 17 and is wanting to join the Army.  If that falls through he would like to do a community college while living at home & then attend a 4-yr college.  

I have tried to emphasised a trade or education to all the kiddos.  I don't know what our 2 yr. old and 3 mth old are planning.  I will probably have grandkids in the house from the older kids by the time the youngest are 18, lol.

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:47 PM

First, I already have 3 that are out of the house, one high school senior.

I expect(ed) and got them going away to college.  We feel this is imporant for their independence.  We pay the bills, tuition, living expenses, provide a car, pay their cell, insurance and gas.  We do not expect them to work during the school year, but they should when they are home for the summer.

Once they graduated, we fully expect them to move out, establish their home and career.  So far so good for 2 of them.  One still in college, and as I said, one in high school.

Next year will be the empty nest.  We are keeping the house, even though we both hate living in this area because of my husbands job.  In a few years, when he's old enough to take unvested stock when he retires, we'll do that and move to a sunnier place (which would be just about ANYWHERE but we're looking at CA).  Then he would get another job (same thing, it pays well) and work for another company.

LAXmom21
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:48 PM
My oldest is in college and my youngest is a sophomore in high school. They know our door is always open wherever that may be.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
428pm
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:48 PM

my son can live with me as long as he needs to, to get his life set up.

iheartmiboys
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:48 PM

DH is already trying to instill in them what college. Gator chump chump. Smh I'm like you didn't even go to that school. He went to Embry-Riddle. Lol

thetrollcat
by Meow on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I plan to kick them out and go on tons of trips (hubby and I)

KeriAZ
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:49 PM

My ds will live with me while going to school to become a firefighter.

Des10ed2b
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:54 PM

are kids are only 4 and 7. right now, the extent that we have "planned" is that my husband and i will be working a lot to make sure we can pay for it all. Unless our kid's have a scholarship, they will likely have to work part-time. But if they are involved in a sport or something, we wont make them work. Between practice and classes they wont have much else in terms of "free" time. 

areles
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:58 PM
my kid is in college. he lives here, pays rent (a small amount that i in turn put back into his college account), pays for his car insurance, and pays for all personal expenses.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pnukey
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 6:34 PM

I will do a happy dance. We are preparing them to be ready to move out when they go to college, even if that means we have to help them pay rent on an apartment. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN