Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What is your "plan" for when your kids graduate high school?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
DH and I plan on our kids going to college, and we will allow them to live with us rent free for as long as they are in college, but they will need to hold a part time job. If they don't go to college they can only stay with us, for free, for 6 months, after which they can move out or pay rent. Either way they will have certain rules to follow also.

So do you have a plan for your kids after high school?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2013 at 3:17 PM
Replies (61-70):
lowencope
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 6:35 PM
Run aroud the house naked of course.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vanellope
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 6:56 PM
Change the locks and enjoy the (finally!) peace and quiet and a house that stays clean ;)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Jan. 13, 2013 at 6:59 PM

We have a similar plan. My kids will NOT be able to just stay with us and not do anything with themselves. We also won't be providing them with anything. They will have to buy their own food, clothes and keep up with their own cell phone or other bills, unless they are in college. We are going to make sure that we don't raise a bunch of lazy slobs. I know way to many 30 year olds who STILL live with mom and dad.

Hanab818
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 6:59 PM
Either get a job and move out, go to college which will also require a part time job (they can live here rent free during that time) or military. I have a feeling at least one of the boys will end up military, police, medic or something along those lines.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AjCeCeMom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:01 PM
My children are expected to go to college, I hope they will live on campus. I will travel a lot more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thetrollcat
by Meow on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:01 PM

One is seventeen she will graduate this spring. I am kina hoping she will move out during the summer and get a taste of the real world. I feel she has entitlement attitude which affects my desire to want to keep providing for her. I figure a summer out there struggling to make ends meet will help adjust her attitude and perspective of what all we do for her.

We will remain in our five bedroom house likely until the six almost seven year old is in Jr High. I think we will then sell the house and move into a patio home of four bedrooms. By then the oldest should be well adjusted and out on her own. Only time she should be coming home is for the holidays or so.

Quoting Not_A_Native:

First, I already have 3 that are out of the house, one high school senior.

I expect(ed) and got them going away to college.  We feel this is imporant for their independence.  We pay the bills, tuition, living expenses, provide a car, pay their cell, insurance and gas.  We do not expect them to work during the school year, but they should when they are home for the summer.

Once they graduated, we fully expect them to move out, establish their home and career.  So far so good for 2 of them.  One still in college, and as I said, one in high school.

Next year will be the empty nest.  We are keeping the house, even though we both hate living in this area because of my husbands job.  In a few years, when he's old enough to take unvested stock when he retires, we'll do that and move to a sunnier place (which would be just about ANYWHERE but we're looking at CA).  Then he would get another job (same thing, it pays well) and work for another company.

~~~~~         =^..^=        ~~~~~
I'm not the cat lady type. I'm more like an actual cat. I want affection when I want it and on my own terms. The rest of the time I want to claw out your eyes and piss in your shoes.  

*marking the 599968yth post/reply being mean, evil, horrible, which makes me worse than anonymous*

jbirdsladie27
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:30 PM
This
Our oldest has followed his plan

Quoting lucsch:

Nope, but THEY have plans because of the way we've raised them to want to make their own way in life.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
itsm3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:39 PM

post-secondary education is a must and i don't care if it's a technical school or a university but she will get a post-secondary education.  my dd can live with me rent free for as long as she wants after graduating from post-secondary school.  in my culture, we don't charge our family members rent or make them move out... my home is always open for her whenever she needs it.

Lordgodempress
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Actually our plan is the same as yours, with the exception of the part time job.  DD wants to go to med school and I would worry about doing that and work being too much.    Just regular school then definetely

Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:42 PM
They can stay as long as it takes for them to complete college.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN