Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What is your "plan" for when your kids graduate high school?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
DH and I plan on our kids going to college, and we will allow them to live with us rent free for as long as they are in college, but they will need to hold a part time job. If they don't go to college they can only stay with us, for free, for 6 months, after which they can move out or pay rent. Either way they will have certain rules to follow also.

So do you have a plan for your kids after high school?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2013 at 3:17 PM
Replies (81-90):
aimhawk
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:03 AM

I would prefer my children go to college, but what they do after high school is their decision. Of course if they need help we will be there for them. Its just a hard scenario for me to envision when one is 5 and the other is almost 1.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:07 AM
My oldest is a senior this year. If she stays here and goes to a local college she can stay rent free. If she decides to follow your bf and go to NC to be with him she is on her own.. We will give the allotted money she has for college and she will need to figure out the rest..
If she was going out of state for college and not a boy it would be different. She is not going to a university. She's going to college to be a court reporter and the only reason she is going to nc is to follow a boy..

Now on to the other 5.
If they go out of state for college we will help with what we can but if they are going only for a male/female they are on their own.
Motherof3inNJ
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:07 AM

My nonverbal autistic DS will live with us for as long as I can care for him. I'm sure there is a program he could go to after high school during the day that he could receive his services- OT, PT, speech, etc.

I expect my other children to go to college. They will be allowed to live at home rent free. They will be required to have a PT job during the summer or any school break but not while classes are in session- I believe that time should be used for study or unwinding.

If they choose to not go to college, they will need to find a FT job or 2 PT jobs to total 40 hours and pay me 30% of their pay to live here & cover their expenses. I'm hoping this will influence their decision to continue their education. I know it's possible to live well without a college degree but it's becoming fewer and far between. 

kfroz0415
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Our plan is pretty well the same as yours, plus we will cover insurance as long as they are in school, both car and health.

Also if they choose not to go to school, they will need to move out by 21. 

Momtogirls0823
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:20 AM

They can either go to college, like I did or they can get a job right out of high school like dh did.  They absolutely cannot do what bil did and bum of his parents for the rest of his life.  He is 40 years old and still hasn't held down a job.  Ugh!  If they are in college they can live here with us if they go to college locally.  Also, they can live here if they get a job.  If they aren't going to do either then it's fly birdie, fly as I send them out into the world!  

Kitschy
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:22 AM
As long as they are in school they can live with us rent free.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
superm0m877
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:22 AM

My oldest is 5 so i havent really given it thought yet. I will decide when they get older

justinnaimee
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Not really. But my oldest just started k this year so we've got time to make one.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
deadlights86
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:25 AM

I have no clue at this point my 2 school age kids are special needs and I'm sure my oldest won't go to college and my middle son I'm not sure at the moment he is literally failing everything and school isn't helping him much and the little they are trying to do he resists so much that they tend to send him home cause he's disrupting the rest of the class.

Pink.Sunshine
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:26 AM

I don't know what I'm doing 14-16 yrs from now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN