Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Russian Moms I need help!EDIT

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:56 PM
  • 73 Replies

My in laws are coming in a week to live with us. What can I do to make it more comfortable/easy for them? Ive asked dh to make labels with the russian word and english word to put on evertying. like stove, cabinet, toilet etc. any ideas??

EDIT apparently this requires an edit: they will be living here permanently. they want to learn English but are struggling. I have been trying with little success for years to learn russian. I suck...they laugh when i try(they try to not but im abysmal) THEY KNOW WHAT A TOILET AND STOVE IS FFS LOL. . they just dont know the english words for them

by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CreziaMommyTo2
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:12 PM

i am sure your ILs can look at a stove and know what it is.  i am sure they know what a toilet looks like as well.

unless they live in a cave and have no electricity, or things to cook on, then i would label... but really?  are you going to treat them like idiots and children?

svolkov
by Emerald Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:13 PM

of course they know what a stove and a toilet are and what it is for. what they dont know is the english word or how it looks/is spelled ;)

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

i am sure your ILs can look at a stove and know what it is.  i am sure they know what a toilet looks like as well.

unless they live in a cave and have no electricity, or things to cook on, then i would label... but really?  are you going to treat them like idiots and children?

GagaNTattooS
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:15 PM
But.. Stove isn't written on the stove... I can see doing that on like ceral and meats...

Quoting svolkov:

of course they know what a stove and a toilet are and what it is for. what they dont know is the english word or how it looks/is spelled ;)

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
thePBandJmom
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:16 PM

I don't think the labels are neccessary. Ask your husband what would help them feel welcome and comfortable.

randomosityblog
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:17 PM

LMAO Way to make them feel like morons! "Stove".. really?

tlcory
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Lol...my inlaws are Romanian, I know what you mean, they will ask you how to say certain things, it is not like they don't know what they are...there are on line translators that help that is how I write my inlaws letters.  

Quoting svolkov:

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

svolkov
by Emerald Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:18 PM

no that is why i want to write it. so it can help his mom especially learn. she has tried and is struggling to learn.

Quoting GagaNTattooS:

But.. Stove isn't written on the stove... I can see doing that on like ceral and meats...

Quoting svolkov:

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:19 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree. This is the fast track to make them feel unwelcomed and like total idiots. And make you look ignorant.

Quoting randomosityblog:

LMAO Way to make them feel like morons! "Stove".. really?

svolkov
by Emerald Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:19 PM

thank you lol my mil always asks me to write what things are too i think its easier for her to read than pronounce english. i use the translators online too

Quoting tlcory:

Lol...my inlaws are Romanian, I know what you mean, they will ask you how to say certain things, it is not like they don't know what they are...there are on line translators that help that is how I write my inlaws letters.  

Quoting svolkov:

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:19 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm not Russian and the only things I know about Russian culture are from historical books from the 11th century until the Revolutionary period, so I couldn't help you at all...unless they're very very old.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)