Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Meat for 23 meals for $84.27

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 27 Replies
2 moms liked this

Works out on average to $3.66 per meal for the meat in a meal for a family of 5

Here's the breakdown. 

2-beef roast-2.5 lbs each

4-1.25lbs of 90/10 ground beef

6-2lb bags of boneless skinless chicken breast

5-2lb bags of boneless skinless chicken tenderloins

2-2 pound pork roast

3-bags of 6 each pork chops

This is my first time doing this and I think that with left overs I can get almost the whole month out of these meats and I still have over $300 left in my budget for everything else.  Pretty happy with myself right now!  Before, we were spending about $600-$800 a month on food.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
myperfect4inok
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:47 PM
That's what I do. I just bought meat for $80 and I have enough for 3 weeks and there are 6 of us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Our spending was getting really out of hand so I am pretty happy with this!  Any tips you can throw at me?

Quoting myperfect4inok:

That's what I do. I just bought meat for $80 and I have enough for 3 weeks and there are 6 of us.

myperfect4inok
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:56 PM
Buy in bulk when you can
If you see something on sale pick it up. For example, if they have chicken breasts on sale stock up.
Same goes for you canned stuff. They had canned veggies on sale this week I stocked up. The other week they had frozen veggies on sale for half of what they normally are. I stocked up. I only buy things on sale

Quoting Anonymous:

Our spending was getting really out of hand so I am pretty happy with this!  Any tips you can throw at me?

Quoting myperfect4inok:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amy1will
by Amethyst on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:57 PM
that's awesome!! I spend 75 dollars for two weeks of food. I think I need to start doing what you are doing.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LuckyMa113920
by Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:57 PM
How did you do this? I spend that a about a week and half. :(
lucsch
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:59 PM

I usually buy meat a Kroger whenever they have a sale. We have a family of 4 (most of the time unless my other kids visit), and I can spend about $80 for 6 weeks of meat. We eat beans, too, though.

JenB1983
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:59 PM
I buy meat like that. The grocery store closest to our house(like 1/4 mile) always has marked down meat. S/O and I buy that, bring it home, and repackage it, and toss it into the freezer.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Winchester
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Are you doing any meatless meals per week??

It's really incredible to see the amount of meat just one family will go through like that.  And you are actually trying to portion and budget.  There are some people eating willy nilly much more than this. 

HousewifeNina
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 6:01 PM
1 mom liked this
I am going to start doing 2 meatless nights per week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 13, 2013 at 6:17 PM

We have 2 pasta meals planned this month, I am dieting so it's not something we make a habit of.  Actually, we are have all of our meals planned until mid-Feb.  I will also pick up some fish, but that needs to be fresh so I can't buy that in advance.

Quoting Mrs.Winchester:

Are you doing any meatless meals per week??

It's really incredible to see the amount of meat just one family will go through like that.  And you are actually trying to portion and budget.  There are some people eating willy nilly much more than this. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN