Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Holy Junk Food! People really do buy insane amounts of junk on FS

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 158 Replies

I thought people were just stirring the pot when they talked about seeing people with FS buying nothing but crap food but I saw it myself today.  We were at Sam's and we kept running into this family on every aisle.  While I was getting frozen blueberries they were loading up on tater tots, frozen pizza, frozen everything.  Later we ran into them again while on another aisle and they were loading up with Gushers, Froot by the Foot, pudding cups, etc.  You couldn't help but notice since they were parked in the middle of the aisle.  When we got to the registers they were in the line next to us.  I was talking to DH and our youngest son was behind us and I turned around to tell him to move over with me. I saw her card out of the corner of my eye while she was gesturing with it.  They are very distinct in our state, you can't miss it.  So I apologize to those who said they've seen it and I never believed you.  I couldn't believe how much junk food you could pile into a cart, well two carts actually.  It was very sad, lots of fresh meat and the produce was unbelievable today.  

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ninjabubble
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:29 PM
I worked as a cashier at a grocery store and I've seen it one too many times. :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
UxorQuodMatris.
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:34 PM
4 moms liked this
I know people who do it, but I don't pay attention to those who may be doing it in the store.
Last time at the store though I turned around in time to see the woman behind me looking over my shoulder at my cart lol. Maybe she was hoping for a juicy cm post.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:36 PM
5 moms liked this

most people buy insane amounts of crap i don't even consider food, i'm sure it's not limited to the FS folks.

shop the outskirts!  avoid the poptarts!

winkyloafer
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:38 PM
3 moms liked this
This isn't limited to those with food stamps. Even I pick up some "naughty" choices (My SO loves P.F Chang frozen dinners) and I look like a health nut in comparison to others shopping.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:38 PM
3 moms liked this

What a waste of $$.We have to buy our own food and if my kids are lucky,I buy a bag or 2 of chips every payday and thats it.4 bucks for Doritos!Thats crazy and its half air.

LiDoMama
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah I think its messed up you can get soda on fs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Messed up def. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:41 PM

LOL, I do look at carts if something catches my eye.  I might see a product I've never heard of and want to try.  I've found some fabulous stuff that way.

Quoting UxorQuodMatris.:

I know people who do it, but I don't pay attention to those who may be doing it in the store.
Last time at the store though I turned around in time to see the woman behind me looking over my shoulder at my cart lol. Maybe she was hoping for a juicy cm post.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:43 PM
I shop at Sam's with FS and totally bypass the junk food aisles. If I do buy any, I get two bags of chips for the 5.98 deal and bring them home and portion them out into small bags.

I buy meat and bring it home and portion it out before freezing.

I love their produce, prices are awesome there.

But there are some times I really wish I could buy things that are not so good for you instead of only buying what is needed for the menu I plan for the month.
HyrulianHeroine
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:45 PM
3 moms liked this

eh i buy junk on my FS. but we dont abuse. We buy our necessities first. Our meats, veggies, seasonings, milk, and fruits. Whe even make sure we have a reasonable amount of snackings chips, plantain, etc. We stock our freezer with goods too. Were not abusing just feeding our family the way we see fit. Why not be able to splurge yourself with a soda, who cares? It's not like our fridge is stocked with soda, candy, and other bs. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)