Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

should they take the dog to the vet?

Posted by   + Show Post

About a month ago my parents noticed their female dog was getting fat.  Turned out she was knocked up.  Not a big deal, they hoped one day she would be.  Anyway, this morning she began to go into labor but she hasn't had the babies yet.  How long does a dog take to give birth?  They tired to take her to the vet for a prenatal appointment and the vet said they don't do that for dogs (lol) and things will progress naturally.  

So, what are warning signs and such?  Or is this all day thing normal? 

Oh the dog is a pugamo (sp?) and the father is a pug.

UPDATE:  If anyone cares, right after posting this they where on the phone with the after hours vet.  Bella is on her way there (or actually at this point should be there now!) I'll let everyone knows what happens!

You know you want it

by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:42 PM
Replies (11-20):
AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:09 PM
2 moms liked this
What the hell is a Pugamo? Do your parents know that Pugs usually need to deliver via cesarean section? Especially if the sire is bigger than the dam. YES they should be taking that dog to the vet ASAP. She needs help. She should also be spayed as soon as this litter is weaned and the mutt that knocked her up should be neutered.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
fairyjester
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:09 PM

pugamo?

fairyjester
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:12 PM
1 mom liked this

oh  so your parents are irresponsible breeding more mutts    yay them.

Quoting .betty.white.:

Eskamo dog/pug.  

Ok, this is good news.  We where getting worried.  I got two of their kiddos (my brother and sister) because they didn't want to be there.  :)  Looks like Ill be having a school night slumber party lol

Quoting Anonymous:

pugs average about 25 pounds (or so they say, I've never seen a pug that wasn't fat and about 28 lbs, lol), so aren't considered a small breed necessarily.  I'm not sure what a pugamo is mixed with.

all day labor for a first timer is not unheard of.  the only time you would need to worry is if the dog is in obvious distress (and think about what you went through, and the dog will have a litter of 4 - 8 puppies) or is bleeding a lot more than you would expect.

Quoting spooky415:

She's a smaller breed right? That's strange that the vet wouldn't see her for prenatal care-usually they look at smaller breeds to make sure there's enough space. Well, I shouldn't say 'usually.' I don't breed dogs but I do have two chihuahuas and the vet and I talkd about it once. He said he usually sees smaller breeds when they're pregnant so they can see if there are going to be any problems. Most of the time things DO progress just fine-but they like to make sure because smaller breeds are more likely to have problems.

From what I understand-it normally takes about 6-8hrs to deliver, depending on the size of the litter-however, I don't know if that includes labor...

"oh look they ate a baby,  how rude"---  Monroe

usmcwifey11
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:12 PM
Yep! They all lived. She's an English Bulldog, and it is almost physically impossible for them birth naturally. Their heads are too big! I'm assuming its probably the same with your parents dog.

Quoting .betty.white.:

OMG I can't even imagine how bad that must have hurt! Did the puppies survive?

Quoting usmcwifey11:

Poor pup! My sister's dog had two csections.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
StarburstKisses
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Wow. I'm sorry some women are in here ripping you up. I don't know much about pregnancies and deliveries for dogs. >.0 However here is a bump and am hoping everything goes smooth and well for the momma to be, her pups, and your family. :)

fairyjester
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:13 PM
1 mom liked this

the more commets i read from this op the more i am thinking , just walk away , just walk away

.betty.white.
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:13 PM
We've had pugs since I was a child and never an issue. They tried to take her and the vet wouldn't see them (read the damn post) and the mutt that knocked her up is a pure bread lol

Quoting AliKatAK47:

What the hell is a Pugamo? Do your parents know that Pugs usually need to deliver via cesarean section? Especially if the sire is bigger than the dam. YES they should be taking that dog to the vet ASAP. She needs help. She should also be spayed as soon as this litter is weaned and the mutt that knocked her up should be neutered.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StarburstKisses
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Wish there was a dislike button on these posts. I also wish you learned the saying, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all". OP came in here for some help....not looking to get bashed.

Quoting fairyjester:

oh  so your parents are irresponsible breeding more mutts    yay them.

Quoting .betty.white.:

Eskamo dog/pug.  

Ok, this is good news.  We where getting worried.  I got two of their kiddos (my brother and sister) because they didn't want to be there.  :)  Looks like Ill be having a school night slumber party lol

Quoting Anonymous:

pugs average about 25 pounds (or so they say, I've never seen a pug that wasn't fat and about 28 lbs, lol), so aren't considered a small breed necessarily.  I'm not sure what a pugamo is mixed with.

all day labor for a first timer is not unheard of.  the only time you would need to worry is if the dog is in obvious distress (and think about what you went through, and the dog will have a litter of 4 - 8 puppies) or is bleeding a lot more than you would expect.

Quoting spooky415:

She's a smaller breed right? That's strange that the vet wouldn't see her for prenatal care-usually they look at smaller breeds to make sure there's enough space. Well, I shouldn't say 'usually.' I don't breed dogs but I do have two chihuahuas and the vet and I talkd about it once. He said he usually sees smaller breeds when they're pregnant so they can see if there are going to be any problems. Most of the time things DO progress just fine-but they like to make sure because smaller breeds are more likely to have problems.

From what I understand-it normally takes about 6-8hrs to deliver, depending on the size of the litter-however, I don't know if that includes labor...

.betty.white.
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:15 PM
Lol thanks I had no idea it would be drama either lol. Meh it must be a slow night on cm :) the dog is on her way to the after hour vet (might even be there now). Thanks!

Quoting StarburstKisses:

Wow. I'm sorry some women are in here ripping you up. I don't know much about pregnancies and deliveries for dogs. >.0 However here is a bump and am hoping everything goes smooth and well for the momma to be, her pups, and your family. :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StarburstKisses
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Quoting fairyjester:

the more commets i read from this op the more i am thinking , just walk away , just walk away

LOL because you really should just WALK AWAY with nothing nice to say? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN