Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

should they take the dog to the vet?

Posted by   + Show Post

About a month ago my parents noticed their female dog was getting fat.  Turned out she was knocked up.  Not a big deal, they hoped one day she would be.  Anyway, this morning she began to go into labor but she hasn't had the babies yet.  How long does a dog take to give birth?  They tired to take her to the vet for a prenatal appointment and the vet said they don't do that for dogs (lol) and things will progress naturally.  

So, what are warning signs and such?  Or is this all day thing normal? 

Oh the dog is a pugamo (sp?) and the father is a pug.

UPDATE:  If anyone cares, right after posting this they where on the phone with the after hours vet.  Bella is on her way there (or actually at this point should be there now!) I'll let everyone knows what happens!

You know you want it

by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:42 PM
Replies (31-40):
Groove
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:23 PM
I hope the momma pug is okay. Though I'm worried the one that is stuck might not fare very well. I had a friend who breeded Pomies and she never had issues w any of the dams delivering. Poms are around 5 lbs (they have to be to get papers), but they're pretty proportionate. Pugs do have big heads.

Quoting .betty.white.:

Lol I know.

Quoting Groove:

It's not like you started the post w "My parents breed pugamos and...." geeze, people.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fairyjester
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:23 PM

research on what?    you can give it the fancy name in the world it still a fucking mutt

Quoting .betty.white.:

*sigh* do some research

Quoting fairyjester:

oh  so your parents are irresponsible breeding more mutts    yay them.

Quoting .betty.white.:

Eskamo dog/pug.  

Ok, this is good news.  We where getting worried.  I got two of their kiddos (my brother and sister) because they didn't want to be there.  :)  Looks like Ill be having a school night slumber party lol

Quoting Anonymous:

pugs average about 25 pounds (or so they say, I've never seen a pug that wasn't fat and about 28 lbs, lol), so aren't considered a small breed necessarily.  I'm not sure what a pugamo is mixed with.

all day labor for a first timer is not unheard of.  the only time you would need to worry is if the dog is in obvious distress (and think about what you went through, and the dog will have a litter of 4 - 8 puppies) or is bleeding a lot more than you would expect.

Quoting spooky415:

She's a smaller breed right? That's strange that the vet wouldn't see her for prenatal care-usually they look at smaller breeds to make sure there's enough space. Well, I shouldn't say 'usually.' I don't breed dogs but I do have two chihuahuas and the vet and I talkd about it once. He said he usually sees smaller breeds when they're pregnant so they can see if there are going to be any problems. Most of the time things DO progress just fine-but they like to make sure because smaller breeds are more likely to have problems.

From what I understand-it normally takes about 6-8hrs to deliver, depending on the size of the litter-however, I don't know if that includes labor...

"oh look they ate a baby,  how rude"---  Monroe

shamroc374
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:25 PM
1 mom liked this
When my pug was in labor she took a long time to deliver. It was Christmas Eve and I kept calling the vet. After a few hours they told me to bring her in and they would most likely have to do a c-section. I picked her up to move her and she delivered a puppy. I had to break the sac and help the puppies start breathing with a warm wash cloth. I had to do this for every puppy she had. We only mated her twice and with each litter she had 6 puppies. It's hard to believe that such a small dog could have so many puppies. We had her fixed after the second litter.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:25 PM
1 mom liked this
*facepalm*

Even my 8 year old is smart enough to know the difference between someone selectively breeding dogs for a purpose and backyard breeders who are breeding useless mutts. The breeds we have today were not created by randomly mixing dogs together and hoping for the best. If you think they were then you need to go watch a Nat Geo special or something and educate yourself.

And just because someone is truthful does not make them rude. If you can't accept it then.. well.. too bad.

Quoting StarburstKisses:

LMAO

Are you aware that many breeds were created by mixing two other breeds to make a new one? No? You're very rude, lack tact, and have a higher-than-everyone-around-me attitude. You should have listened to your conscious and left.

Quoting AliKatAK47:

Bread? Do you mean purebred? And since there isn't nor has there ever been a breed called Pugamo I think you're delusional if you think it is purebred.

Oh.. You already said it is an American Eskimo x Pug. That makes it a MUTT. Not a purebred dog.

Quoting .betty.white.:

We've had pugs since I was a child and never an issue. They tried to take her and the vet wouldn't see them (read the damn post) and the mutt that knocked her up is a pure bread lol

Quoting AliKatAK47:

What the hell is a Pugamo? Do your parents know that Pugs usually need to deliver via cesarean section? Especially if the sire is bigger than the dam. YES they should be taking that dog to the vet ASAP. She needs help. She should also be spayed as soon as this litter is weaned and the mutt that knocked her up should be neutered.

mommy74146
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:26 PM
Idk but here's a bump. Update with pictures please. :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:26 PM

If you breed a pure bred to a mixed breed dog what you get is a mutt.  

.betty.white.
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Shhhhhh.  No one cares anymore about your opinion.  Should they have got a dog abortion when they found out she was pregnant lmfao!?  You've said your part no one cares this isn't a drama post.  Go away.

Quoting AliKatAK47:

*facepalm*

Even my 8 year old is smart enough to know the difference between someone selectively breeding dogs for a purpose and backyard breeders who are breeding useless mutts. The breeds we have today were not created by randomly mixing dogs together and hoping for the best. If you think they were then you need to go watch a Nat Geo special or something and educate yourself.

And just because someone is truthful does not make them rude. If you can't accept it then.. well.. too bad.

Quoting StarburstKisses:

LMAO

Are you aware that many breeds were created by mixing two other breeds to make a new one? No? You're very rude, lack tact, and have a higher-than-everyone-around-me attitude. You should have listened to your conscious and left.

Quoting AliKatAK47:

Bread? Do you mean purebred? And since there isn't nor has there ever been a breed called Pugamo I think you're delusional if you think it is purebred.

Oh.. You already said it is an American Eskimo x Pug. That makes it a MUTT. Not a purebred dog.

Quoting .betty.white.:

We've had pugs since I was a child and never an issue. They tried to take her and the vet wouldn't see them (read the damn post) and the mutt that knocked her up is a pure bread lol

Quoting AliKatAK47:

What the hell is a Pugamo? Do your parents know that Pugs usually need to deliver via cesarean section? Especially if the sire is bigger than the dam. YES they should be taking that dog to the vet ASAP. She needs help. She should also be spayed as soon as this litter is weaned and the mutt that knocked her up should be neutered.

You know you want it

StarburstKisses
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:29 PM

I'm well educated thank you. I've got to ask you though....Are you aware that there is a difference between honest and rude? Being honest is great, if you have tact. You know how to say what it is you see as truth. When you don't care, spout off whatever you deem as truth without caring about how it will effect the intended audience, then you cross the line to rude in a one way direction to Bitch. Being honest DOES NOT equal rude. The way you deliver what you're saying can equal rude. There's a difference, and you my dear should learn it!

Quoting AliKatAK47:

*facepalm*

Quoting StarburstKisses:

LMAO

Quoting AliKatAK47:

Quoting .betty.white.:

Quoting AliKatAK47:

mommy74146
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:33 PM
1 mom liked this
I just googled pugamo and they are adorable!
AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:36 PM
Backyard breeders tend to not care about truth.

Quoting .betty.white.:

Shhhhhh.  No one cares anymore about your opinion.  Should they have got a dog abortion when they found out she was pregnant lmfao!?  You've said your part no one cares this isn't a drama post.  Go away.

Quoting AliKatAK47:

*facepalm*

Quoting StarburstKisses:

LMAO

Quoting AliKatAK47:

Quoting .betty.white.:

Quoting AliKatAK47:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)