Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

should they take the dog to the vet?

Posted by   + Show Post

About a month ago my parents noticed their female dog was getting fat.  Turned out she was knocked up.  Not a big deal, they hoped one day she would be.  Anyway, this morning she began to go into labor but she hasn't had the babies yet.  How long does a dog take to give birth?  They tired to take her to the vet for a prenatal appointment and the vet said they don't do that for dogs (lol) and things will progress naturally.  

So, what are warning signs and such?  Or is this all day thing normal? 

Oh the dog is a pugamo (sp?) and the father is a pug.

UPDATE:  If anyone cares, right after posting this they where on the phone with the after hours vet.  Bella is on her way there (or actually at this point should be there now!) I'll let everyone knows what happens!

You know you want it

by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:42 PM
Replies (41-46):
MrsRinehart2010
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:39 PM

I dont know about  dog but cats usually have them with in minutes to hours. Ive dealt with many labors of cats. Maybe have them call an animal hospital and askthem ?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:41 PM
1 mom liked this

People are assholes... Just ignore them. Please do update when she has the pups.

Sj218
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:44 PM
How's the pugamo and pugamo-pug puppies? I just want another reason to say pugamo...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Okay let me be nice and truthful.

As a dog rescuer who sees a lot of mixed breed dogs going in and out of shelters and my own rescue (some of which never even make it out) I can tell you that there is no more space for mixed breeds from unscrupulous breeders. No matter what the "designer" name you slap on your mixed breed dog they are still mutts and are of no more worth than a mutt in a shelter. They are probably worth less since the payment at a shelter goes towards taking care of other animals where as a payment to a byb only goes towards them breeding more mixed breeds (who will in turn crowd shelters some more). So if you want to defend a backyard breeder then that is fine. It won't affect you in any way right? Hopefully the OP doesn't live in your state. You won't have to pay to house the dogs when they wind up in shelters. Good day Madam.

Quoting StarburstKisses:

I'm well educated thank you. I've got to ask you though....Are you aware that there is a difference between honest and rude? Being honest is great, if you have tact. You know how to say what it is you see as truth. When you don't care, spout off whatever you deem as truth without caring about how it will effect the intended audience, then you cross the line to rude in a one way direction to Bitch. Being honest DOES NOT equal rude. The way you deliver what you're saying can equal rude. There's a difference, and you my dear should learn it!

Quoting AliKatAK47:

*facepalm*

Even my 8 year old is smart enough to know the difference between someone selectively breeding dogs for a purpose and backyard breeders who are breeding useless mutts. The breeds we have today were not created by randomly mixing dogs together and hoping for the best. If you think they were then you need to go watch a Nat Geo special or something and educate yourself.

And just because someone is truthful does not make them rude. If you can't accept it then.. well.. too bad.

Quoting StarburstKisses:

LMAO

Are you aware that many breeds were created by mixing two other breeds to make a new one? No? You're very rude, lack tact, and have a higher-than-everyone-around-me attitude. You should have listened to your conscious and left.

Quoting AliKatAK47:

Bread? Do you mean purebred? And since there isn't nor has there ever been a breed called Pugamo I think you're delusional if you think it is purebred.

Oh.. You already said it is an American Eskimo x Pug. That makes it a MUTT. Not a purebred dog.

Quoting .betty.white.:

We've had pugs since I was a child and never an issue. They tried to take her and the vet wouldn't see them (read the damn post) and the mutt that knocked her up is a pure bread lol

Quoting AliKatAK47:

What the hell is a Pugamo? Do your parents know that Pugs usually need to deliver via cesarean section? Especially if the sire is bigger than the dam. YES they should be taking that dog to the vet ASAP. She needs help. She should also be spayed as soon as this litter is weaned and the mutt that knocked her up should be neutered.

.betty.white.
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:46 PM

LOL!  I don't know!  Last text was saying they are taking her to the after hours vet and have been on the phone with him.  I'll let everyone know when I know.  Plus pics :)  I'm positive they are gonna be adorable! 

Quoting Sj218:

How's the pugamo and pugamo-pug puppies? I just want another reason to say pugamo...

You know you want it

wifeofvet
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:55 PM
Don't worry, when dogs have c-sections they are put under anesthesia during the whole procedure. And I'm surprised the vet wouldn't see you. They should have at least taken X-rays to see how big, and how many puppies there were.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured