Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How hard is it to learn how to sew?

Posted by   + Show Post

I am not talking actually making clothes. I mean, like: turning the sewing machine on, threading it, and sewing in a straight line?  Lol, I have never touched a sewing machine before and I am totally clueless with how they work, but there are a couple of simple projects I would like to be able to do.

by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:15 PM
Replies (11-20):
ccnstanczak
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:23 PM

i learned how to sew or use a sewing machine in home ec class in 6th grade.

i always have problems with my bobbin and my backstich. my mil sews all the time and showed me some cool tricks. i have completly forget them. my machine is broken so i havnt made anything for a few years. yikes.

TrouserMouse
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Funny, that is the exact same one that I was just looking at on Amazon. Its accent color is the same color as your font. You must like teal...lol.

Quoting Perfect.Pixie:

Easy peasy. Make sure you ready the manual before and go for it

Eta, I have a singer stylist 7258 and I love it... Not too fancy and not too cheap. Easy to use

Ajanee12
by That's What She Said on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:24 PM

easy peasy.. i did it when i was 6 :)

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:24 PM
You can do it. I borrowed my moms cheap machine, bought some cheap supplies, got myself a detailed pattern (La Di Da because I prefer sized diapers), watched some You Tube videos and asked here as I went. My first diaper was totally functional. The diapers I made were better then ones I bought.

Quoting TrouserMouse:

I was hoping to be able to work my way up to cloth diapers. That is my ultimate goal. I would feel so accomplished.  This type of stuff is not my thing at all. That is why I have never even attempted before.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

No! I started sewing for the first time on a borrowed machine making my daughter cloth diapers. Those diapers I made were AWESOME.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TrouserMouse
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:25 PM

When it comes to anything crafty, creative, decorative, etc...I have the brain of a 6 month old...lol.

Quoting Ajanee12:

easy peasy.. i did it when i was 6 :)

Lilred57
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:25 PM
My nana, grandma, and mom are all great at sewing. My sister and I can barely make pillows. Lol it's just something that takes practice. Practice on some extra cloth or something first so you don't ruin your sweater for the rice bag.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
wooly
by Knitting Maniac on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:25 PM

OOOH NOOOO!! I sold my moms Singer that sucker was possessed. I swear it had a personality and i was forever taking it in to get the timing reset. They're all made of plastic now and won't hold up to any amount of use without having to go see your local repairman

Quoting Kaelaasmom:

Not very. They come with instructions, and I bet there are videos on YouTube. I recommend a Singer.

myperfect4inok
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:25 PM
It's not that hard.
My best friend who swore she could never learn to sew got a sewing machine for Christmas and now she's all I can't believe I didn't do this sooner. It's so easy.
Just start simple.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Perfect.Pixie
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:26 PM
You won't regret it. I hated my old machine, love this one. Its quite, and soo easy to use. PS I love teal lol

Quoting TrouserMouse:

Funny, that is the exact same one that I was just looking at on Amazon. Its accent color is the same color as your font. You must like teal...lol.

Quoting Perfect.Pixie:

Easy peasy. Make sure you ready the manual before and go for it

Eta, I have a singer stylist 7258 and I love it... Not too fancy and not too cheap. Easy to use

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Perfect.Pixie
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:28 PM
I love my singer and the warranty on them are outstanding!

Quoting wooly:

OOOH NOOOO!! I sold my moms Singer that sucker was possessed. I swear it had a personality and i was forever taking it in to get the timing reset. They're all made of plastic now and won't hold up to any amount of use without having to go see your local repairman

Quoting Kaelaasmom:

Not very. They come with instructions, and I bet there are videos on YouTube. I recommend a Singer.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN