Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How hard is it to learn how to sew?

Posted by   + Show Post

I am not talking actually making clothes. I mean, like: turning the sewing machine on, threading it, and sewing in a straight line?  Lol, I have never touched a sewing machine before and I am totally clueless with how they work, but there are a couple of simple projects I would like to be able to do.

by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:15 PM
Replies (21-30):
lucsch
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Not hard if you can read and follow instructions that come with the machine. I'm sure there are some youtube videos.

lucsch
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I LOVE my Brother machines! I sew for my Etsy shop and have several of Brother brand machines.

Quoting Anonymous:

pretty simple. just dont buy some ancient one without a manual. i have a brother, and it came with a dvd so i could watch the woman wind the bobbin and all that crap step by step as they explained it.

Kitschy
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:32 PM

I suck at it.

piratepixie
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:33 PM

i learned when i was 5 years old, you pretty much just turn on the machine and and go from there....

bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:34 PM

I had little difficulty. but it could have been luck

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Not that hard.

Most ssewing machine places have classes teaching beginning sewing.  Or find someone that knows, and is willing to teach you.  What you are trying to do is pretty basic.

TAG_ur_it
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:34 PM

takes about 5 minutes. plus most newer machines have a little diagram on top that shows you have to thread it. 

BEXi
by BEXi on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:34 PM

I know how to hand sew. Never used a sewing machine though.

Money Hungry Mommy Blog

GaleJ
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:41 PM

A sewing machine isn't necessary to make such a bag, hand stitching would work quite well and such work is much more portable than that requiring a machine. In our Montessori class we made small decorative pillows and what you are doing is basically along the same line. All you would need is a needle and thread, scissors, a ruler, and a pencil or given you want to make this out of a sweater, maybe a marker. 

Quoting TrouserMouse:

I want to start simple and make an aromatherapy rice bag out of an old sweater for use during my labor. I just need to be able to sew it shut at each end basically...lol. 

Quoting MistyMoo:

Not too hard lol depending on the machine that you have. I know my moms inside out, but I've tried to use my sisters and I'm like uhhh... Once you know your machine it's pretty easy :). I make a wicked pair of pj's once. And a pencil case lol.. One of my projects was going to be a dress, but I never got around to it..

TrouserMouse
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:42 PM

I am using that as a starting point to just learn to ue the machine.  There are other projects I want to move up to.

Quoting GaleJ:

A sewing machine isn't necessary to make such a bag, hand stitching would work quite well and such work is much more portable than that requiring a machine. In our Montessori class we made small decorative pillows and what you are doing is basically along the same line. All you would need is a needle and thread, scissors, a ruler, and a pencil or given you want to make this out of a sweater, maybe a marker. 

Quoting TrouserMouse:

I want to start simple and make an aromatherapy rice bag out of an old sweater for use during my labor. I just need to be able to sew it shut at each end basically...lol. 

Quoting MistyMoo:

Not too hard lol depending on the machine that you have. I know my moms inside out, but I've tried to use my sisters and I'm like uhhh... Once you know your machine it's pretty easy :). I make a wicked pair of pj's once. And a pencil case lol.. One of my projects was going to be a dress, but I never got around to it..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN