Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How hard is it to learn how to sew?

Posted by   + Show Post

I am not talking actually making clothes. I mean, like: turning the sewing machine on, threading it, and sewing in a straight line?  Lol, I have never touched a sewing machine before and I am totally clueless with how they work, but there are a couple of simple projects I would like to be able to do.

by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:15 PM
Replies (31-40):
GaleJ
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:52 PM

...sorry I guess I didn't get that somehow. I hope you enjoy learning to sew, it along with other needlecrafts is the source of much joy in my life, whether simply humble mending or some or original, creative project.

Quoting TrouserMouse:

I am using that as a starting point to just learn to ue the machine.  There are other projects I want to move up to.

Quoting GaleJ:

A sewing machine isn't necessary to make such a bag, hand stitching would work quite well and such work is much more portable than that requiring a machine. In our Montessori class we made small decorative pillows and what you are doing is basically along the same line. All you would need is a needle and thread, scissors, a ruler, and a pencil or given you want to make this out of a sweater, maybe a marker. 

Quoting TrouserMouse:

I want to start simple and make an aromatherapy rice bag out of an old sweater for use during my labor. I just need to be able to sew it shut at each end basically...lol. 

Quoting MistyMoo:

Not too hard lol depending on the machine that you have. I know my moms inside out, but I've tried to use my sisters and I'm like uhhh... Once you know your machine it's pretty easy :). I make a wicked pair of pj's once. And a pencil case lol.. One of my projects was going to be a dress, but I never got around to it..

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:56 PM
Mine came with an instructional DVD :) before that I had no idea what to do.
mamalove1023
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:58 PM

I don't think its that hard but I cant figure out my machine.  Something is seriously wrong w/the tension...I think.  I guess that's what I get for buying a cheap machine at Walmart.

cstargarner
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:59 PM

I have to pull the manual out to look at the pic to get it threaded.. but could prob do it without if I had to.  Otherwise it's just practice.  I don't use mine much but it's really not too hard.  Just read the manual, follow directions, and get ready for a little troubleshooting when string tangles or something.  I got a singer machine from walmart a few yrs ago and altered a dress for my sis the night I got it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:00 AM
I disagree. Many of the most reliable machines are "ancient" and are still being used today. I use one made in 1954. It's so amazing, my $1000 computerized machine is covered in dust. The manuals are almost all available online now.

Op, what is your budget?

Quoting Anonymous:

pretty simple. just dont buy some ancient one without a manual. i have a brother, and it came with a dvd so i could watch the woman wind the bobbin and all that crap step by step as they explained it.
powow65
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:00 AM
I bet to make a pillow case, would be easy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:01 AM
My Walmart machine caused me nothing but tears. :-(

Quoting mamalove1023:

I don't think its that hard but I cant figure out my machine.  Something is seriously wrong w/the tension...I think.  I guess that's what I get for buying a cheap machine at Walmart.

Melissa_4
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:02 AM

It's really not that difficult, as long as you're not a newbie trying to sew on chiffon or other silky fabrics that can catch easily on the feed dog or the needle if it's not the right size.  I personally love to sew, both hand and machine, but haven't had a machine in a long time.  I used to make costumes, evening gowns, curtains, baby clothes, and even worked as a seamstress in two bridal stores in my much younger days.

Sanctimommy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:03 AM

I learned to sew by hand so long ago, I don't even remember a time when I couldn't. I learned how to use the machine at 12. But every make and model is different, with a different way to thread it and different tension...except for a Singer. As far as I know Singers all have universal threading procedures. 

The only thing you really need to memorize is threading and the only thing you really need to be careful of is the tension because the needle can break.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:04 AM
It's learned, nobody is really a natural at it, lol.

Quoting TrouserMouse:

When it comes to anything crafty, creative, decorative, etc...I have the brain of a 6 month old...lol.

Quoting Ajanee12:

easy peasy.. i did it when i was 6 :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)