Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How hard is it to learn how to sew?

Posted by   + Show Post

I am not talking actually making clothes. I mean, like: turning the sewing machine on, threading it, and sewing in a straight line?  Lol, I have never touched a sewing machine before and I am totally clueless with how they work, but there are a couple of simple projects I would like to be able to do.

by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:15 PM
Replies (41-50):
CMcLaws
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:04 AM
Not too hard, but I have never had any luck whatsoever with a Singer. I have a Brother - cost about $200, and it does everything I need it to do. YouTube is excellent for learning craft projects!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Meghan6391
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:05 AM

its not that hard 

periwinkle163
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Not very, once you learn to thread the machine you have already fought half the battle, lol.

raye-chan
by Raye on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:07 AM
Try the how to sew books, those come in handy.

I'm lazy; I prefer sewing by hand lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamalove1023
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Not sure where you are but Jo-Ann's offers sewing classes which are really informative.  The cost is cheap and you can get a machine for 50% off or more if you keep your eyes open for some coupons.  I know they do have things online but I enjoyed seeing it in person and could ask questions then and there.

raye-chan
by Raye on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:08 AM
My mom swears by her Brother machine lol

Her Singer (which was brand new) never worked right lol

Quoting CMcLaws:

Not too hard, but I have never had any luck whatsoever with a Singer. I have a Brother - cost about $200, and it does everything I need it to do. YouTube is excellent for learning craft projects!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
samiam2919
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:08 AM
Very easy after you give it a try a few times....lol
Irenesmommy
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:09 AM

last time I used a sewing machine was in 8th grade, if I recall correctly it's not too hard to master it.

TrouserMouse
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Well, since it is a starter machine and I have no idea if I will like it or continue to use it, I would like to stay under $200 for now. I can upgrade later if it is actually something I enjoy.

Quoting Anonymous:

I disagree. Many of the most reliable machines are "ancient" and are still being used today. I use one made in 1954. It's so amazing, my $1000 computerized machine is covered in dust. The manuals are almost all available online now.

Op, what is your budget?

Quoting Anonymous:

pretty simple. just dont buy some ancient one without a manual. i have a brother, and it came with a dvd so i could watch the woman wind the bobbin and all that crap step by step as they explained it.

MistyMoo
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:21 AM
I made a hot/cold pack for my wisdom teeth out of a sock lol. I still have it, but the kid use it for like oversized bean bag lol

Quoting TrouserMouse:

I want to start simple and make an aromatherapy rice bag out of an old sweater for use during my labor. I just need to be able to sew it shut at each end basically...lol. 

Quoting MistyMoo:

Not too hard lol depending on the machine that you have. I know my moms inside out, but I've tried to use my sisters and I'm like uhhh... Once you know your machine it's pretty easy :). I make a wicked pair of pj's once. And a pencil case lol.. One of my projects was going to be a dress, but I never got around to it..

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)